1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Question about the spyderco sharpmaker stones

Discussion in 'Knives' started by that_stupid_kydd, Jul 1, 2014.

1. that_stupid_kydd

that_stupid_kydd Loaded Pockets

I'd like to start this thread off by saying i LOVE my sharpmaker, i've used it for years and i'm still occasionally surprised at how sharp this thing get's my blades. The problem i'm having right now is my medium stones not working as well as they did before, i think i may have some small chips or dips in the stones. So my question is can i fix this at all or do i have to throw 'em out and buy a new set? Normally i would just say screw it and toss them but i'm saving for a trip so if i can fix these and not have to spend money it would make me happy but if i can't then i guess i have no choice but to buy a new set

2. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

baconboyrlz Loaded Pockets

Have you washed the stones lately? They work by removing small amounts of steel, and this steel powder builds up between the abrasive, which then makes it so they do not sharpen as well. I wash mine once every 2 weeks.

Blerv likes this.
  3. that_stupid_kydd

yep, i wash mine about every 5 or so sharpening sessions using soapy water and the scrubby part of a dish sponge

4. baconboyrlz
    • In Omnia Paratus

baconboyrlz Loaded Pockets

hm. have you looked them over close for any chips or dips?

5. that_stupid_kydd

well i'm thinkin that's what the problem is, just wondering if there is any way to fix that or if i just have to scrap em and buy a new set?

6. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

Can you post some pics of the stones? They shouldn't really chip unless they get dropped or bang into other stuff, but the the sharpening surfaces will start to look a little concave after a lot of use. They should still work fine though.

7. that_stupid_kydd

i'm trying to get a good shot of it but all i have for a camera is my ipod so it isn't picking up the detail in it but if you guys are saying they should work fine even with a concave surface then maybe i'll try scrubbing the hell outta them and see what that does. in the mean time i'll try to borrow a camera to get pics up

8. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

There is a product called Barkeeper's Friend that will do a much better job of cleaning those rods. Unlike Comet or dish soap, it contains oxalic acid. I've found it removes metal deposits much faster and restores the stone's "bite". That said, the brown rods are friable and will wear out eventually.

c99camper likes this.
  9. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

You might rub the stones together as a quasi-lapping technique. Not much force, obviously. That and washing them very well. The browns will wear over time (very slowly) but the white ones shouldnt.

Shur and that_stupid_kydd like this.
  10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I always remember seeing the sharpening stone at the hardware store when I was a kid.. It was massive and concave (about a 1 inch) in the middle. It didn't seem to stop Grandpas.

11. that_stupid_kydd

i tried this and it made it better but not perfect so i think when i get home from work tonight i'll try going at it some more and see if i can get them back to the way they were. thanks for the help guys, as always it's greatly appreciated :)

12. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

I cant remember where I saw it, but Spyderco does state that a degree of wear is expected in the coarse stones. They also say that the white fine stones should never wear out.

13. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Another thing to consider doing is to wet the stones with water or even something like WD40. That not only prevents metal dust/shavings that we shouldn't breath in excess but smooths out any irregularities. Spyderco stones do not require water but a little bit tends to cut down on the skipping/binding of the blade which in turn can give you better results. More linear abrasion vs sporadic chipping and carbide tear-out.

that_stupid_kydd likes this.
  14. Scott Mason

Scott Mason Loaded Pockets

The Sharpmaker manual states that the medium stones will show wear and should last 3-5 years.

15. Cujobob

Cujobob Loaded Pockets

If you've been cleaning them regularly, I would suggest replacing them. On Amazon, it appears each stone is under $12 (from third party sellers). Not crazy cheap, but for many years of sharpening, it's probably worthwhile and your best option.

16. Ibrahim Sarp Dogan

Ibrahim Sarp Dogan Loaded Pockets

Brush them with toothpaste and toothbrush. It will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk