1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Question about the Prometheus Beta QR

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Kal West, May 10, 2014.

1. Kal West

Kal West Loaded Pockets

I just bought the Prometheus Beta QR and I am really disappointed!
    The flashlight portion works perfectly. It has a very nice white color that is pleasing to the eye. High and low beams = very cool.

But the connector....
    The quick release connector is very loose inside the flashlight. Unfortunately, that is intentional by design! I e-mailed the creator and he said it is supposed to reduce risk of accidental release.

I am very bummed out by this, especially because I had such high expectations beforehand. The wobbly connection makes it feel cheap and like I can't trust it to hold properly.

Is there anyone who has experience with this flashlight? Should I keep the product or request a return? I feel really dumb about it because I didn't realize there was a specific disclaimer on the website that informs of this issue. I like supporting small companies with unique products! But I feel like I just lit a torch to $60...

2. Kal West

Kal West Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Here's a pic

3. jabe1

jabe1 Loaded Pockets

Jason thinks things through very well before implementing a design. I'm sure it is quite intentional. I have the copper version, and it is loose also. Not to the point I would worry about it, but enough to keep pressure off of the bearings.
    Send him an email outlining your concerns and see what his response is.

Kal West likes this.
  4. Gwac110
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gwac110 EDC Junkie!!!

I've got the copper version also and the QR is loose but doesn't cause me any concern. I can pull on it very hard and it doesn't give way so I don't think accidental release could occur. It's a shame your disappointed they are a great light but ultimately if you don't like it ask him if you can return it.

MrOG and Kal West like this.
  5. kbuzbee

kbuzbee Loaded Pockets

I've been running one since the Kickstarter shipped. The connection is very solid. Use it without worries. In no way is this a "cheap" connector. It works perfectly.

My only "criticism" of this light is the size. The space needed to implement such a connector is not small. The overall light+connector+ring is longer than I want a AAA to be. But it's the way it is and honestly, it carries just fine. For a shorter length and more light/run time, I actually put a 47 Mini 123 on my key ring. The Beta QR is now dangling off the turn signal lever in the car.

Ken

MrOG, Blerv and Kal West like this.
  6. Kal West

Kal West Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the help guys!

7. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

In a perfect world it would have been a bit more compact and a tighter fit. Instead he worked with an off-the-shelf brass connector which is sturdy and replaceable. Frankly, most builders go proprietary (for sake of initial impressions) and when it breaks there isn't much support. I have to give him some kudos for this.

If you want a quick disconnect light this is the only one to choose. You would have to figure our another connector for another light to match the functionality and it wouldn't look as slick. Plus the light itself is terrific.

Not every light is for everyone tho! And that's ok :).

kbuzbee and Kal West like this.
  8. Kal West

Kal West Loaded Pockets

I've decided I will hang on to it for myself, or give it to my dad for Fathers' Day.

It's a beautiful piece!

Gwac110 likes this.
  9. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

I'm with you OP, ordered the copper unit and was not impressed at all when it arrived, this was when they were first available and all the rage. I held on to it for a while but never carried it and eventually sold it off, don't miss it one bit.

10. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

MrOG, Kal West and thatsalligot like this.
  11. Kal West

Kal West Loaded Pockets

Lmao KeyeEl!

12. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

there is a bit of play in mine, but I wouldn't call it very loose. it strikes me as appropriate for the type of connector it is.

Kal West likes this.
  13. CatfishTX

CatfishTX Loaded Pockets

[​IMG].
    I have been carry mine since the kick starter shipped. It's never come unhooked in my bag or pocket once. It is longer than I imagind, but it doesn't bother me. It's a pretty light, IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kal West and vegassprky like this.
  14. Foster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

Mine's never come undone accidentaly either. It wiggles a bit, but that's the nature of that connector.

If you wanted you could probably use Sugru putty to put a bit of material between the connection. It would stop the wobble for sure, though it might increase the chances of an accidental disconnect.