1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

question about seiko 5

Discussion in 'Watches' started by archer, Feb 18, 2009.

1. archer

archer Loaded Pockets

an old school watchmaker told me that the new Seiko 5 automatics are inferior to the models made a couple of decades ago, can anybody tell me if this is true?
    thanks in advance.

2. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

I'm a little skeptical of that. I've owned 4-5 and have given a few as gifts over the last 8 or so years. All have continued to work reliably and are the best deals in mechanical watches, imho. The Seiko automatics they use are solid, reliable, and feats of engineering. ;-)

3. DrSpeed

DrSpeed Loaded Pockets

:iagree:

seiko 5 are very reliable watches, also workmanship and finish are up to a high standard, not just for the price, but imho objectively a very high standard indeed

4. fshalor

fshalor Loaded Pockets

I have several Seiko 5's and Seiko 's. While there are some differences in case and finish, the core movements of the Seiko 5 line are pretty much identical to their automatic divers up to the $500+ price point.

Here's a good complete story, from the WUS Seiko forums on the subject:

WUS - Seiko - Seiko5

I've owned other movements from other brands, but have came back around to the Seiko's since they just seem to work as intended. Not to say that other watches don't, just that Seiko's feel like the best performance for the money. I enjoy wearing them and learning about their strengths and limitations.