1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Question about rush 12 and 24

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Subliminal87, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Subliminal87

Subliminal87 Empty Pockets

Does anyone know the outside measurements for these bags?

I believe for the Rush 24 front to back when packed it's like 13 inches when it's full right? What about like halfway?

Also what is the size for the rush 12 from to back?

I found the inside measurements but I need more of an idea.

The rush 12's look like their about the same size of a normal school backpack, is that right? I'm not sure if that's big enough more me.

2. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

correct. they're about as big as a standard school backpack, at least the ones that were used when i was in school....which was a while back.

front to back it's a little over 11". mine isn't crammed full so i had to pull on it a bit to get it to resemble what it might be like if it was full. mine is just a bit over 9" as it is at the moment.

3. Subliminal87

Thanks! Yeah looking at the outside measurements I was thinking "that's the size of my backpack now, I think.

So 11 full for the 12. And 13ish with the 24, I might as well just go with the 24 then I suppose.

I just don't want to get it and find out it's too small. So the 24 should do.

Thanks for your help!

4. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

t
    You may think the 12 is small but no, looks are deceiving. It can take a ton of stuff. It is highly stretchable because its clamshell opening. Depth can go as much as 10" and width almost 12 inches!, height is 18". Note that admin pocket expands outwards from the main compartment of the bag with lots of pockets for organization. The 24 is more of an overnight bag and is good if you carry athletic gear everyday and by standards its big for you're everryday commute in the bus and train, if you ride your vehicle everyday then that's fine. Nonetheless don't worry which to chose because chances are you will end up with both bags, like many other people in the forum.

Myrddraal and EXCALIBUR like this.
  5. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Yeah I don't have a 24, but I will say that 5.11 bags carry an amazing amount of stuff for their size. My All Hazards Nitro carrys tons and it looks like a small 'medium' size pack, but is very deceiving in how much it actually holds.

6. Pepsi Jedi

Update... Won the auction this morning for my Rush 24. Picked it up for $78, shipped. Pretty good deal all told. When I get it here, I can help you out a bit with size.

thekapow and ran23 like this.
  7. Subliminal87

Thanks! Let me know.

Can someone help me out and give me a better idea of what size I would be better with?

I like that the 24 has an extra mesh area and a zippered area inside, whereas the 12 only has two.

Inside the main area would be:
    Clothes, Shirt/pants/boxers/socks/hat.
    Condor Rip away EMT Pouch.
    Pocket Organizer.
    Pistol with holster.
    Some sort of Ready To Eat Meal (not sure what to buy that's easy to eat right away when needed), Water Filter. Water Bottle, however on the R24, it would go in one of the outside pockets on the side.
    Two boxes of Ammo.

Also for work, this needs to be inside: Honeywell Survivair Opti-Fit-Tactical-Riot-Control-Gas-Mask/
    With extra canister.

Outside front pocket:
    Chemlights, Pens, Sharpies. Notepad/notebook. Paracord, OC Spray. Glock 15 Round magazines. Assorted cables.

Not sure what I would put in the two upper pockets, maybe some extra cables if needed like an Iphone cable and charger.

This bag would go with me to work and go in a vehicle with me. When not at work when I'd go out I'd probably put it in the trunk.

So 12 too small? My goal is to have nothing attached on the outside.

8. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

All of that will fit in the Rush 12 with the possible exception of the gas mask... I'm too lazy to google how big it is. But the rest with fit just fine

9. Subliminal87

Thanks, with enough room left over for extras? I'm torn because you cant make the 12 bigger, but you can compress the 24 to make it smaller.

10. Pepsi Jedi

If you want a nice video showing both the 12 and the 24, I found this one when I was researching them myself.
    Go to you tube. Punch in
    5.11 Tactical Rush 12 and Rush 24 Backpack Review.
    It's by BodyArmorOutlet.
    It's about 8 minutes long, and shows a nice load out in the 24 and then shows how most of it will actually fit in the 12. At one point they say 'everything that was in the 24 fit in the 12", but they took out a rather sizable first aid kit and strapped it to the side.

Still it's a great video that shows you both bags, side by side and then how much crap is crammed into a 24 (With some room to spare. The admin pockets on the front weren't full and there was some play in the interior. The guy even has an inch thick armor plate in the water bladder pocket of the 12 when he reviews that one.

If you want advice. I'd go for the 24. It's better to have space and not need it than need space and not have it. the 24 has compression straps. So if you don't fill her up, you can strap her down to save size. if you need the size it'd be there. The 24 has the nice side pockets too that the 12 doesn't have (and aren't really mentioned in the video) you can fit two normal (16? 18oz?)sized H2O bottles in -each- of those.

11. Subliminal87

Thanks!

12. Subliminal87

Can someone answer one more thing for me?

What is the height of the 12 and 24 top to bottom? It would be nice if places had these measurements instead of just their inside compartment.

I also watched the video with both bags in it, it's a bit hard to tell honestly. He had some stuff outside, and it looks like the clothes take up a good chunk of space in the 12.

13. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I say, go for the 24, well that's what I did after seeing both bags in the flesh,....the 12 is nice but for my needs it's just a bit too small.

14. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Height: Rush 12 = 18" Rush 24 = 20"

15. Subliminal87

If the main compartment is 20 inches, wouldn't that mean the actual height is bigger? or does it literally just run to the edge?

I may do just that, just incase. It's only two inches bigger so it can't really be that much bigger than the 12, right?

16. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I think that that 2" maybe a bit misleading, if you think of the overall extra volume it would give you, you'd be surprised at how much extra stuff it could hold.

17. Pepsi Jedi

Yeah it's a matter of volume. It's bigger top to bottom and side to side, and deep. It's 'bigger' in all 3 dimensions. Not just height. So the over all volume is increased significantly. The 24 also has a bigger front section, admin pocket (Which is pretty :censored: big) It has the two pockets atop the admin pocket and the 24 also has two 'hidden' (Though not on purpose) Pockets on the sides, that run almost the length of the bag, which about 80% of people forget to include in their reviews.

The Rush 12's Main compartment is 1476 cubic inches
    The Rush 24's Main compartment is 2275 cubic inches.

Which means that the 24 is more than half again bigger than the 12. It's got 799 more cubic inches. Half of the 12 would be 738.

So, it might not 'seem' much bigger, it might not 'feel' too much bigger but with over 50% more cubic inches of carrying capacity, it 'is' alot bigger. The 24 has an extra zipper pocket on the inside as well as the side pockets and outside too. Remember the cubic inches carrying capacity is for the main compartment. not the side pockets so you gotta add those on in your head.

18. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I can attest to the 24 being a good bit bigger than the 12. I've owned both. I have coworkers and friends that have both. For me the Rush 12 was just right and the 24 was way too big. Bag needs and body size will determine which is best for you. If you're really not sure which would be better, you can always buy both and find out for yourself with bags in hand. There are a few websites that offer free return shipping so might as well take advantage of it and find out without a doubt which is better for you.

19. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

I work in corrections. I carry a Rush 24 with all the stuff I'll need on an average day, with a bit of room to spare. I don't carry a helmet and gas mask, as they are provided at the unit. I carry non perishable food/snacks, 4 bottles of water, one extra uniform, extra underwear and socks, medications for pain and antacids, a small first aid kit, a full set of Frogg Toggs rain gear, extra pens pencils and high lighters, a flashlight and extra batteries, one roll of toilet tissue, a multitool, charger for cell phone, sunglasses, sunscreen, 550 cord-100ft, fire starting equipment like a small lighter/water proof matches, tooth paste and tooth brush, deodorant, hand cleanser, and a few other odds and ends. Depending on what's planned for the day the contents may change a bit.

We're not allowed to carry our packs into the unit. So it stays in the truck, and I get things as I need them. I've found over the years that when an escape, or major emergency off unit occurs, having all that stuff can come in very handy. Same thing if I get into a UOF, chunked on, or rip my uniform, I have a spare uniform and underclothes to change into. You just never know what is going to happen on any given day working corrections.

steeps and ran23 like this.