1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Question about eGear PICO LED Zipper light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Al_G19, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Al_G19

Al_G19 Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? How do they compare up against a photon LED light/or similar? Is the beam stronger?

I have had a couple of the photons on my keyring(s) in the past, but I have been curious about the reviews on one of these.

Also, I think streamlight makes something similar...I think, anyone use one of those? If so, what do you think.

I guess my main concern would be having it twist on in my back pocket with my keys, or having the top fall off, I don't know if that's even possible, just look's like it may be.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Of the top of my head I would say that any Photon product is far superior compared to any light of it's kind ..
    Go with what you have if it suits you thus far ,)

BE WELL .. GH

3. MedXLT

MedXLT Empty Pockets

4. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

5. MKLight

MKLight Loaded Pockets

I have Photons (1s, 2s, 3s, Freedom, Rex, and X-Light), Streamlight nano, and the Pico. The nano and Pico are similar; the Photons are different. The nano and Pico both take the same style/size battery and essentially function the same. The 'issues' people had in the past with the nano were 'fixed' with the Pico. Either the nano or Pico are good, cylindrical choices, but if those are the two in question, you can't go wrong with either, but if you were only going to buy 1, go for the better built Pico. As for the Photons, I don't think there is any better for it's size and features as the Freedom. It was ahead of it's time when it came out in ~2003 and technology it is still more-or-less cutting edge with an awesome company that backs up all their products with a lifetime warranty. I have them all and like them all. As mentioned by MedXLT, Doug Ritter sponsors high quality products and he has his name on the Photon and Pico...

Good luck,
    MK

6. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

I have had a Pico for a bit and have been meaning to write something about it on the forum.
    This thing is perfect. I have it on a piece of accessory cord around my neck. I take it off to shower and swim but thats it. I forget its there until I need it.
    I can't praise this thing enough! Bright, tough and totally inconspicuous. I've even gotten compliments about it looking cool on my neck!

I actually have showered and swam with it and found it to be fine afterwards even though I do usually take it off.

7. Al_G19

Al_G19 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies, one of my big concernes would be it coming apart in my pocket or the like. Does anyone have experience with that issue?

8. attorneyadrian

Wearing it pretty much 24/7 it has never unscrewed itself at all, not even a few degrees.

9. Al_G19

Al_G19 Loaded Pockets

ever try it with pocket or keyring carry?

10. attorneyadrian

Nope, but I sleep with it on (I roll over a lot) and hike and exercise with it on.

11. MKLight

MKLight Loaded Pockets

The Pico won't come undone. There is quite a bit of resistance, but the good kind. The nano has a greater chance of coming undone. There are quite a few reports on CPF about that, but I think Streamlight may have improved that with a thicker oring since there haven't been any complaints in a long time. The Freedom won't come apart either. The Pico and Freedom come in several colors. The nano comes in black and pink (for breast cancer awareness).

It sounds like you're leaning toward the Pico. I have a nano on my keychain. After about a year and a half it's looking beat up, but is still running strong on it's original batteries. I frequently check that it's still in one piece. If/when the Pico goes on, I won't worry about checking it as frequently. I've had various Photons on my keychain - I've never had any problems with them. The current one has been on for about 4.5 years and still looks new! :)

EDIT: I think the Pico's finish will hold up better than the nano. The Pico has a duller finish in each of the colors, while the nano is shinier. It seems like the Pico may have a thicker coating (maybe HAIII) versus the nano's HAII (I forgot the "official term for HAII :) ).

12. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

I have a Pico Lite, is a nice light for the size but if given a choice, I'd vote for the Photon. Have 3 of them and they have lived on they keys for almost a year without issues. If it breaks, just send it back and LRI will take care of it.

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

For carrying a twisty flashlight on a keyring, add a fishing swivel between your keyring and the light - it will prevent pocket shifting from twisting the light.

14. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I really like the Freedom Photon, and have a bunch of them. That said, I've stopped carrying the Freedom Photons because they would come on in my pocket running down the batteries. I now carry a Fenix EO1 as a replacement. The Photons have been relegated to duties around the house where there isn't the danger of them coming on on there own.

15. Al_G19

Al_G19 Loaded Pockets

I liked mine too, but I stopped carrying mine for the exact reason you stated. I really like having a small flashlight close at hand, while still being small enough that I don't really need to "plan" for it. Right now I have went back to the siple bush button LED keychain light, but I would like to find something a little bit brighter, but still smaller than one of the little mag light solitares (I think that's what the smallest ones are called)

16. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

It might be a little larger than you want, but you might want to consider a Fenix EO1. It's very nice for what it is, and uses easy to find AAA batteries. 20hr runtime, durable and only $12-15.