1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Queen knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Buckeye Jake, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Just read that queen knives have closed down . Down to just Case Greateastern and buck making traditional knives .
    And greateastern makes mostly pattern knives . If you see one you like, better buy a spare . Queen liked to use d2 alot . Tough steel .

Jake

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Have they really closed you think, or perhaps will re-emerge via buyout from some marketing group who contracts out manufacture to a Chinese firm. I'm thinking of what happened with Taylor, who acquired the names of Schrade, Imperial, Old Henry.

I've got a couple of knives made since this happened, but I've ordered -- and then returned -- even more that I didn't like due to workmanship, extraordinary difficulty opening, etc etc. Pity.

And there are a number of Chinese companies who put out decent to extraordinary product. At the low end, I have a number of Rough Rider that I am quite happy with; then there are Kizer, WE Knives, and Ruike -- all of whom are in a whole different orbit from the low end contract houses!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

I was looki

I was looking at the blade show and it was mentioned in the same piece . I did see a few come up for sale last month too. May be geart eastern will buy them out . .

Jake

4. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I have three Queen knives. Of the three:

One, a #2 small serpentine jack, is OK. Pretty looking knife. The pulls are a bit harder than I like. The blade grind on the main clip blade is thicker than it should be for a knife of that size. I spent a good bit of time and effort putting a good edge on that D2 steel. This one was a textbook example of the Queen reputation for thick grinds that needed a lot of work. Now that the work has been done, it's a sharp and sturdy knife.

Two is a Country Cousin in green linen micarta scales. Nothing wrong with that knife at all, except that the spring sits a little proud (raised above the handle) when open. Other than that, it is a good knife. Also needed some sharpening to get my preferred edge on it, but not as much work as the smaller #2.

Three is a #9 Stockman. That one is flawless. I would put it up against the best of Great Eastern's offerings. If they could have delivered that kind of quality every day, they'd have had a much better reputation.

All in all, I'm happy with the 3 that I have. If you are not really skilled at sharpening, that D2 they used will make a man or woman out of you. I learned a lot from those knives.

Sucks about them filing bankruptcy. That is the sort of company that, once gone, you won't see another one come back. That kind of traditional manufacturing process requiring skilled craftspersons is an artifact of the past. Automation and/or cheap offshore disposable labor is the order of the day.

5. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

I would love to see great eastern buy them and use them as a competitor to case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

7. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I'm the odd man out. I have a large collection of Queen knives and carry one every day. Quality has been fantastic on each one.

Adahn likes this.
  8. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a restructuring. Hope they make it.
    Love their stag.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gary Gross and Moshe ben David like this.
  9. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

So why do they put their Q logo in this way? The print is in one direction, the Q is upside down.
    Call me picky or silly but I don't get it...

10. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

You silly......

11. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

12. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Just in case you haven't heard, Queen filed Chapter 7 - total liquidation. They are not coming back. If trends continue, the name will be purchased and slapped on imports, just like what happened to Schrade.

On the plus side, when I die a bunch of old American made Queens will be available, probably dirt cheap.