1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Quark 123 or Quark MiNi 123?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ZoomFlight15, Jan 29, 2010.

1. ZoomFlight15

ZoomFlight15 Loaded Pockets

Hello All.

With all the talk about 4sevens and their Quark line, i thought i'd give one of them a try. Only question now is which one to get. I'm trying to decide between the Quark 123 and the Quark MiNi 123.

I plan on keeping it in my pocket at all times, replacing my current EDC, a PD20 (older version without the clip), which has been awesome for me so far. I wont be using this in any critical, tactical, professional, hard-use capacity; only for casual use and utility (and fun!) More of a cool, tech-geeky toy than anything, really. :)

I used to pocket carry a P1D because it was nice and small and bright for its size. I replaced it with the PD20 after a while, as i loved the tail switch over the twisty, and i loved how it felt in hand, between fingers, etc., even thought it was a bit longer. I also loved the way it looked.

I was originally thinking i'd get the Quark 123 as it would assume the duties of the PD20 with the welcome addition of moonlight mode and a clip.

Then I thought maybe i should get the Quark MiNii instead because it's totally different and TINY (even smaller than the P1D), not to mention cheaper than the 123. What's stopping me from buying it is that it doesn't have moonlight mode, a clip, or a tailswitch, and is not as bright as the Quark 123, but will i still have my PD20 to use as well, so maybe it doesn't matter so much.

I've noticed that there's been a lot of talk about the MiNi lately (assumably because it's fairly new) but i haven't really come across any opinions on the Quark 123. I'd be interested to see how people feel about it compared to the pd20 and the MiNi 123.

Which to get? (and no, i cant afford both, unfortunately...)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. diggity

diggity Loaded Pockets

Qmini's are excellent, I have 6 of them between AA and CR123 in black and in titanium. I have no comments on the Q123. 4sevens is a great company to deal with though.

3. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

The tradeoff is fairly straightforward. The regular Quark 123 is more versatile and has a clicky. The MiNi 123 is a lot smaller and has a twisty.

I bought a regular Quark and it quickly replaced my EDC light. Given your preferences I would go for the regular.

--Bob Q

4. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

They are both great lights. If I was only going to carry one it would be the Quark 123. I love the moonlight mode, the clicky, and the clip. I love my mini as well, but see it as more of a backup light. The Quark 123 is a lot more versatile.

5. Crux

Crux Loaded Pockets

I would choose the 123. I EDC a 123^2 and it fits easily into a pocket with a wallet. I imagine the size difference between the 123 and Mini is negligible.

6. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

Well, I wouldn't quite say it's negligible. The MiNi is quite a bit smaller, thanks to doing away with the tailcap/switch, clip attachment points and making the head generally smaller. The MiNi 123 is easily keychain-able while the standard Quark 123 is not. Although if you're just keeping it loose in your pocket or in a bag, the difference may not matter much to you. It depends.

7. 1holegrouper

1holegrouper Loaded Pockets

I chose the Mini since I use it for utility and my philosophy is minimalist- every bit counts. My criteria for the larger click switch would have been if I would feel the need to use it for self defense purposes. I couldn't say, "hold on there big fella, let me twist this here light 3 x so I can blind you with 189 lumens"

8. Joe Talmadge

Joe Talmadge Loaded Pockets

This makes it a no-brainer for me, the Quark 123 is a great light, small for what it is, but nevertheless too big (particularly in diameter) for 24/7 pocket carry. On the other hand, you seem to pocket-carry a PD20, which is also bigger than what I'd personally pocket carry. I pocket carry my MiNi, jacket carry my 123.

The problem is, you can't afford not to have both... which you will, within a few months. *cue evil laugh and hand-wringing*