1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Quality versus Quantity

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by quattrokid73, Sep 12, 2011.

1. quattrokid73

quattrokid73 Loaded Pockets

My eternal quest for EDC gear took a major turn this summer. I realized that I didn't carry all 15 of my knives, and I didn't use all 5 of my flashlights. Most of my Maxpedition gear never got used. I came to the conclusion that I care more about the quality of the few things I really do use than the quantity of EDC gear that I own.

So, I began slowly selling off many like new Spydercos, Maxpedition gear, extra stuff, and even cracked into household items that I just didn't use and were gathering dust. I sold an old roof rack and set of wheels from a past car, a gold chain that I came upon, DVDs I don't watch, sunglasses that didn't fit, games I don't play, and many other things that were gathering dust. Thankfully, I take care of things pretty well so most of this stuff was in like new condition.

What was I able to buy with all the money I made from this? Well, take a look...

[​IMG]
    DSC01419 by quattrokid73, on Flickr

I turned a large amount of things that I had sitting around into:

Wilson Star-Tac
    CRK small Seb Micarta
    Hamilton Khaki Officer Auto (Maratac NATO band)
    Muyshondt Aeon
    Atwood Superbug G2
    Atwood G5 Prybaby
    Atwood small ribbed Landslide
    Revo Undercut Ti sunglasses
    Maxpedition R7 Tactical pouch
    iLoveYoyo Lynx

and not pictured...

Camelbak Linchpin pack
    Maxpedition Fatboy organizer
    Adventure FAK
    Bark River Gunny

Best EDC decision I ever made. I now only own knives I enjoy using. I now have a quality watch that will last forever. I feel like I'm using my gear more, and therefore getting more out of it.

So, what am I really trying to say here? That shiny flashlight and knife you want might not be so far away. Take a look at what you actually use and what is really just collecting dust. Would you rather have a bunch of safe queens or something nice that you will get to see and touch on a daily basis?

And what about gear in general? As an EDC'er, I feel it is my responsibility to promote preparedness, while also defending the rights to preparedness that I have. If I walk around like a mall ninja, covered head to toe in MOLLE straps and with a big black folder with blood grooves and a gut hook, I'm going to get funny looks. And those people are going to vote away my rights over time. Blending in, being respectful that we're not all the same, and having discretion will ultimately lead to the preservation of our EDC related rights.

-Adam

2. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

Great post Adam. I remember reading your posts as you went through your knife phases. Spyderco obviously and it seemed like you got into Bark Rivers as well. Your edc now is pure quality and looks great. I totally agree with you on the point of making your edc acquisitions worthwhile, so as not to contribute to the dust bunnies. By the way, you didn't give up all your spydies did you? I wouldn't think so, but of so, what a shame. Glad you finally got that awesome aeon!

3. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Brilliant post. One of the best I've seen on the forums so far.

This summer I donated to charity shops almost 70-80% of my possessions. Like you say, stuff that gathers dust.

I have one rucksack that I use regularly. Hill walking, mountain walking, day trips, short holidays, shopping, everyday stuff. Maxped Falcon II. It's so well built I feel it will last an awful long time and I've gradually learnt how to use/pack it differently for different situations.
    I have one mini pocket torch. Fenix LD10. Small, bright, brilliant
    I have one medium sized torch. Fenix TK11. Tough, bright, better battery time than my pocket torch.
    One locking folder. Used around the house.
    One SAK. In my right hand pocket every day.
    One full sized multi tool with loads of bit drivers. In my pocket whenever I'm at work, a tool box in one for household fixes.
    One UK legal slipjoint. In my pocket whenever I need something sturdier than my SAK out and about.
    One small fixed blade (neck knife). Used as my only knife on camping trips and all day hiking.
    One cheap picnic knife. For when I don't really want to get smelly cheese, crumbs and tomato juice in the gubbins of something nicer/harder to clean.

I don't feel that I've skimped on the quality of any of my gear. It all gets used regularly, It all gets looked after so that it will last.
    I would like to have only one folding knife but legal restrictions and the want for something that actually locks for stuff around the house means I have to make do with two.
    It also forces you to be far more selective about what you spend your money on, and not spend hours dithering over which bit of kit to carry today/tomorrow/whenever.

stax likes this.
  4. quattrokid73

Do not fret! I saved only the best of my Spydercos:

Para 2 20cp
    Millie XHP
    Chokwe
    Sage 3
    Zulu
    UKPK DP

When I am doing harder use stuff, or going somewhere I could lose a knife, I take a Spyderco. Not because they are "expendable", but because it's a lot easier to replace a $120 knife over a $450 one. For instance, going on a camp trip this week. 4 days of biking and camping. Will be taking my BRKT Gunny and my Millie XHP! The CRK knives will stay at home safe in their R7 pouch.

Thanks for the enthusiastic responses. I am glad my sentiments are shared.

I'd like to add one point, along similar lines. I've noticed an EDC trend of "more is better". We are inundating ourselves with so many fanciful things that we are forgetting that preparedness is about creativity and lightness. If you had to survive, wouldn't a versipack full of 20lbs of gear just tear a hole in your shoulder? For the sake of spines everywhere, and myself included, I've tried to minimize what I carry to what I will actually need. In the event of a **** situation, let's not forget that the majority of us live in populated areas and that while we like to believe that our fellow citizens will turn to savages, this is actually severely unlikely.

In Japan, over $73,000,000 in cash was turned into authorities after the Tsunami. People did the right thing and took wallets and money to the police. There was such a small percentage of looting, that one store owner remarked that a man stole a bicycle to bring water to someone, only to return it hours later.

This is a different culture though. I am all for having my Sig and Remington 700 by my side. That said, in a **** situation, your best resource is always the person next to you. An ability to barter, communicate, and make friends will keep you alive longer than any amount of C rations.

nwjavahead and Macgirl like this.
  5. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

I completely agree with you. Not to long ago i would buy a lot of knives in the $30-$70 range. I dont use most of them now. I just use my 6 or 7 very high quality knives for edc. So now ive made a promise to myslef not to buy the lesser quality knives and just high quality knives. This now goes for all of my edc gear. I dont think i am going to sell any of my stuff in the near future though. A lot of my knives are gifts and the others just have some good memories to them. Now i just need to get better in the flashlight department. I have ONE nice light, a surefire 6px pro. I used to EDC it a lot but now i use it as a camping/outdoor light because it was just to heavy for edc. I have some streamlight lights and a 4sevens preon, but those really arent high quality at all IMO. My next buy will be an HDS systems tactical EDC light, i think...

6. quattrokid73

Brother, you need a Muyshondt Aeon.

[​IMG]
    DSC01423 by quattrokid73, on Flickr

I am so impressed by this thing. I use my EDC flashlight more than I ever use my knives. And this one is the best I've seen. Good price for what you get, $120. One CR2 battery that lasts forever. Low 10 lumen, High 110 lumen. The beam is flawless and neutral in color. The construction is flawless. The interface is simple like an Arc-AAA except at a certain point it turns to high. The difference is the threads are so well machined they have a smooth hydraulic feel...

Amazing when a light smaller than my thumb has the same output as my Novatac 120T with an even nicer beam. And Enrique is a stand up gentleman. I'd trust my life to this light. Enrique has a post online where he does a torture test. Launching the light 40 feet into the air and having it land on a parking lot, running it over, and even hooking it up on a lathe and CUTTING through a mag lite with it!!! And it still worked...

nwjavahead likes this.
  7. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

thank you for the suggestion. im gonna check those out, seems perfect for me!

8. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

edited

Fukurai likes this.
  9. quattrokid73

My best customer :cool:

I'm still finding out what I like every day. I have noticed I can't tell the difference between any decent steel. That's for sure, lol.

10. mikey

mikey Banned

I also agree with your thinking. For me, I will buy alot of different items and once I have a chance to check them out for feel, use and practicallity, then I will think of my scenarios and come up with the items that I want to keep and get rid of the rest. I wish I could get this part figured out though!!

I will also keep a high end setup and then create a setup that will be with me whether it is camping, hiking or whatever and if I lose something, I wont cry or die! :)

11. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

you said it!

ive been wanting to sell some of my knives, and flashlights, just havent gotten around to it.

and of course the money will go right back into knives and flashlights, but will be better quality, and less quantity. hehe

12. Gamble

Gamble Loaded Pockets

I totally agree with this post and am doing something similar. The only problem is now I need 2 of everything.

13. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Great post - I think a lot of people head this way unless they are really hardcord collectors of stuff.

I have sold or given away a lot of the things I found myself not using too :)

14. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

It does feel good, doesn't it to purge? I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. I had a lot of knives and eventually pared it down to a couple of custom slipjoints, an alox sak, and one custom fixed blade that I get time to carry and use often rather than sit in a box waiting its turn some month down the line to get used. I have two titanium watches that I switch between every other day. One titanium pen. One titanium flashlight and so on. They feel like old friends now with patinas, scratches and love from use. Yes, quality over quantity and use what you have. Good philosophies!

15. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just got here over another thread and wanted to bump it up again :D

I'm still in the building phase of my EDC. Trying out what I might like and so on. One point is here that I can't really buy that much stuff (non-working atm). Therefore I really might wait till it's too late and I'd go on to something different or I buy something and then just use it. This leads to my other point. I think I was somehow raised to use my things until they're totally broken or not needed anymore. I've got a nice flashlight and it might take quite some time till I buy another one. If there is a good reason (no, want isn't a reason) I buy it, if not not. Of course I'm drolling over a Quantum DD and a nice Zebralight floody with GITD reflector. Do I really need this? The floody maybe, so I'm still thinking about getting it sooner or later. Then I might be set with lights. Same with knives. Of course I want a Sebbie, a Hinderer and a Strider. Maybe I get one in some time, maybe not. 400 buck isn't nothing. There are also some fixed blades I really like to carry. Some ESEE for example. I might get one once just to try it. Or when I go hiking and need a fixed I have a good justification. Then I'll get one and use it as long as possible. During this time I make my mind what I want to put attention to when I get a knife, backpack, light etc. the next time. My decision might be different this time. So not that much gear hoarding here, but well thinking about what getting and then using it till it's dead. Just my $0.02

16. MedicInTraining
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

Brilliant post! I think a lot of people (including myself) get caught up on the AMOUNT of stuff we own rather than the AMOUNT of stuff we need or the amount of stuff we USE. I for one am an individual who prescribes to 'one is none, two is one' philosophy so I have no issue with having two good tools but unless you're a collector, which a lot of us are, then it seems ridiculous to have 10 mid range, sub par knives when you could own two, top of the range nice knives that you know are going to last you.

I know when I get home one of the things I will be doing is refining my EDC, donating a whole bunch of 'stuff' that I bought because I thought I'd use it and and selling anything that doesn't see the light of day. With the exception of my nylon obsession- i'm 100% okay with having nice rucksacks as long as they make rotation once a month- for example my Rush 12 and soon hopefully my Rush 24 are limited to travel bags for short flight trips or overnight trips.

Fukurai likes this.
  17. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well done and well said.

18. e2dwml

e2dwml Loaded Pockets

Great first post and feedback! Thanks for bumping it up Fukurai! And like MT said a lot of people get into the AMOUNT of stuff they own instead of paying attention to the amount of stuff they might NEED. I'm in the NEED stage and trying to build a solid foundation to my EDC. I'll worry about the pretty shiny things later. ;) But I do have my eye on some pretty nice gear that has made the Wish List. And as far as having 10 of something whether it be knives or lights or whatever, well, I can't afford that. Not to say I wouldn't mind having a few high quality pieces of gear that would last my life time. Which is really what I'm after once I get my foundation built on a full time college budget. I do appreciate and respect all you guys and gals that have beautiful collections though. Each piece I'm sure is greatly loved. My father used to have over 1000 pocket knives in his collection. So, I definitely understand the joy in collecting. But it's just not for me.

19. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking about this concept quality over quantity... So this is what I came with.

I need to save/raise/sell or whatever to some 600$ so I could go with

- CRK Mnandi - I figure it could be find for some 300$ normal inlays used but in good condition
    - Mac's customs Tri EDC - new Al w/ti clip is some 230$... Really would LOVE full Ti, but...
    - Quantum DD - 50ish$
    - I like Saddleback wallets, but don't like bulky... Maybe Skinny is right one... 30ish$

What do you think?? Any suggestion on ither item knife/light/light/wallet??

Fukurai likes this.
  20. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

On the wallet you might check the ID wallet from Saddleback. Depends on how many coins you carry though.
    The Mnandi is very nice, a truly gents folder. I might also go for a Sebenza. Dig the design somehow.
    The Quantum is very cool, nice light.
    I can't say much to the Tri EDC, it's not my type of light, but looks good with the rest of the setup.

gstojinovic likes this.