1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Quality of Tauras Guns

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by haiyter, Nov 18, 2010.

1. haiyter

haiyter Loaded Pockets

Anyone own these and have any problems with reliability? Could you please share your story both positive and negative. I been to several gun forums and of course they all sum up with someone saying "taurus = Junk" without really giving a reason why and if they did, they end up saying they are unreliable but never have a story to back it up. I mean I know their guns are cheap cost-wise and they offer a lifetime warranty but they be that bad if they have been in business for this long.

2. DonShock

DonShock Loaded Pockets

I've always been a Taurus fan because you get a lot of bang for the buck. I've got a 25 year old PT-99 that's been the one gun to survive all of my purchase/trade/sell cycles. I do recall one time when a buddy was shooting my gun and had a couple stovepipes. I told him to quit limp wristing his grip and then he didn't have any more jams. But personally, I've never had any malfunctions. I also had a Taurus 357 revolver for quite a while until my mother started looking for a gun so I gave her the 357. Again, never a problem to be had.

Most of the professional Taurus reviews I've read over the years have been positive. It's not a manufacturer that's got a lot of flash and fance to their product line. Just some plain simple guns that seem to be well built. I'm not a gun expert and it's been about 10 years since I've really researched and actively bought / sold guns, but back then the Taurus brand seemed the best if you wanted a low price without sacrificing quality and reliability.

3. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

I bought a new Millennium Pro PT111 (9mm) almost 4 years ago, and I've never had a problem with the gun. I did have a couple issues with some reloads, but found they were problems with the ammo, not the gun. Personally I love my PT111 MilPro, especially once I learned to shoot Heine Straight 8 sights. If you want to learn more about Taurus, holsters for Taurus, conceal, etc, go read Taurus Armed.net. Someone here listed them in their blogs they read, and I went over to see what they had since I'm an owner. Now I read there as often as I read EDC, lots and lots of info to be had.

4. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

The idea that the many negative reviews of Taurus firearms is nothing more that Internet hype, is false IMO. I've owned 7 Taurus firearms (1 semi - 6 revolvers). 4 have required at least one trip back to the factory. Usually the factory would take two months to get the gun back to me, and then the gun wouldn't be fixed. Taurus also never provided any details as to what the problems were, and what they did to fix the specific problem. Instead the guns were returned with a note stating someting like, "Repaired under Taurus warranty". Problems included triggers that wouldn't reset, internal breaks, binding and seized cylinders. All problems were with brand new guns, with no more than a couple of hundred rounds. Some breaks happened within a box or two of ammo. So, in my opinion you are better off spending the extra money for a Smith or Ruger.

5. BBoost

BBoost Empty Pockets

i have taurus pt92 and i love it. jammed once with cheap ammo, but other than that its a great piece.

6. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

I have a 709, been reliable - I shoot it monthly, carry it often. Can't say I have enough experience with them to offer a broad based endorsement. At their prices, maybe you have to take a little risk.

7. CyBuzz

CyBuzz Loaded Pockets

i personally own one...and that is because my father in law owns 3. He started with an old PT92. It works great. Uses it to qualify for his CCW permit. When the PT1911 came out...right when it came out, he got one. It shoots like a match gun. He then bought a 709 Slim for carry...I shot that...liked it and bought one myself. The one and only problem he had was with the 709. Taurus guns are shipped PACKED FULL of grease. I thought I got it all cleaned out but was wrong. The 'sleeve' the firing pin rides in didnt get cleaned out and it was causing the 'second strike' to not work. Got it cleaned out and has been flawless since.

I would buy a taurus if I was in the market for another gun.

All that being said...the internet stories about customer service I can not verify, but I did call them to talk to them about extended mags, and they were rather rude. While on the phone I asked about spare parts....ha...no way would they send those out, they didnt even have any. This was right when the 709 came out...so maybe supply had not caught up with demand. I wasn't really worried though, cause I didnt NEED either.

CyBuzz

8. red

red Empty Pockets

I've been carrying a Taurus 617 (2", 7 shot, .357) for 2 years. Probably have 300-500 rounds through it with no problems. The only minor complaint I have is that the finish seems a bit thin in spots.

9. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I've owned a few Taurus' over the years and loved them. Right now I'm down to one, a 22 revolver and it shoots great. Never had a single problem with any Taurus. Many times the Taurus is a copy of another gun (often S&W) with a much lower cost.

10. Dynamik1

Dynamik1 Empty Pockets

My information is second-hand, but corroborated by three local gun shops and people at Gander Mtn. Their collective opinion is that Taurus has a serious deficiency in their quality control processes. Each person told similar stories of receiving new guns from the Taurus factory that had parts that had come disconnected during shipping and were rattling around in the box, guns with no trigger at all, missing sites, missing firing pins, etc. If they are that lacking in their final QC before shipping, how bad is the actual mfg process? I wouldn't be comfortable that the gun would go bang when my life depended on it.

Honestly, I wondered if these stories were exaggerated to point me toward more expensive purchases. That idea failed when many of them commented that they would trust their life to a Kel-Tec before they would a Taurus. Today I EDC a Kel-Tec PF-9 that I trust completely.

11. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I've heard similar stories about Taurus, but never experienced them. All my experiences have been VERY positive.

12. watchcollector1968

watchcollector1968 Loaded Pockets

A lot of the stories are "A friend of a friend told me...". Used to be a lot of stories like that about Ruger around the gun shops. Smith and Wesson has had those stories before. I think a few people have problems, others hear it enough and the stories are told enough that they get way over blown.

I have had a few Taurus guns and put a ton of round through some of them. I did have one problem with a PT-101....mag release fell out. Sent back to Taurus, couple weeks or so and it was back fixed and no further problems.

13. Dynamik1

Dynamik1 Empty Pockets

I don't disagree with that sentiment, but having heard it from first-hand experiences it was enough to deter me. When relying on a weapon for the safety of me and my family I don't want any nagging doubt.

14. watchcollector1968

watchcollector1968 Loaded Pockets

I dont doubt you at all and agree that you need to have full trust in it. I was simply referring to the types of things on various forums with 3rd and 4th hand stories.

15. seeker_two

seeker_two Loaded Pockets

Having owned two Tauri (PT908 and 94 .22lr revolver), I'd say that Taurus guns that they've made for several years (PT92, 85, 94/941, Raging Bull, etc.) are great buys. The newer Taurus guns tend to have bugs that don't get worked out until they've been produced for a few years. Taurus tends to use their customers as their QC instead of working out the engineering bugs in-house. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older Taurus, but I wouldn't buy their newest products....esp. when there are better values to rely on like Charter Arms and Kel-Tec.....

16. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

I have 2 PT92's and have had a couple of their revolvers as well. No problems with either. The only thing I don't like about the 92 is that it throws the brass straight up. It distracts from target focus and is uncomfortable when it lands on hands/arms.

My take is that guns are a lot like cars, you can own a certain make and love it and never have a problem one. Another guy could by the same make and get a bad one and never trust that make again and always take smack about it.

17. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Empty Pockets

I own a 709 & a 738....the 738 has been fine, the 709 has been sent back 3 times for the same problem & might be sent back a 4th.

18. Japeatr

Japeatr Loaded Pockets

same here, and BTW good to see your handle outside of TGO!!@!@

19. tomarlowe

tomarlowe Loaded Pockets

I own a Taurus 24/7 Pro C in .40SW. I've put a little over 2000 rounds through it. I've had three failures to fire using cheap reloads. Those are the only mechanical issue I have ever with this gun. It has never failed to fire using my self defense ammo. The finish is showing wear but I think that is to be expected at this point. I carry the gun almost daily and I trust my life with the gun.

20. JG4660

JG4660 Empty Pockets

I just bought a PT1911 in Stainless. I too was skeptical after reading some of the negative reviews, but for the money in a 1911 what they give you is hard to beat. I just received it this week and havn't shot it yet but the fit and finish are flawless with no machine marks and the feedramp is polished to a mirror finish. I field stripped it expecting to find it packed with heavy shipping oil but found it pretty clean and lightly oiled.