1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

QASM and Waveloc buckle pics.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by yellowhammer, Mar 15, 2010.

1. yellowhammer

yellowhammer Loaded Pockets

I've picked up a few of the new buckles from ITW Nexus and thought a photo or two might be of use to people.

QASM (Quick Attach Surface Mount)

'Normal' two-part surface mount on left, QASM on right;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These fit on PALS or any 1" webbing, giving a surface mount female side. They can straddle either a bar tack or a whole PALS channel meaning you can put 'em wherever you fancy really. I put four on the XRay to to D&L the E&E;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the position I've mounted them they use a bit more of the compression straps on the E&E than if I'd used standard split-bars. It's not an issue mind you, and as there's a set of XRay straps and an Organiser between the two bags it would not be a problem for people without those bits. Besides, I just whacked 'em on, I could probably move them forward a channel and give myself some more adjustment.

Wavelocs

Standard 1" SRB on left, Waveloc on right;

[​IMG]

I got these to try and sort out a specific issue on my E&E (more of which later). The Wavelocs have a wavy edge to the upper and lower edges of the slots that, um, locs the webbing in. They pretty much named themselves. ;)

[​IMG]

These work very well, preventing almost all buckle slippage and not being really any more difficult to loosen - there is a noticeable amount of resistance compared to a normal SRB but nothing worth mentioning. Even though I just have.

One minor issue is that the size of the slot is much smaller than normal. This means that the Wavelocs are quite difficult to put onto a strap if the webbing is doubled over and bar tacked at the end. As always there is a knack to it - my first go took several minutes, now I'm down to about thirty seconds per buckle. The easiest way is to force a corner of the strap through the centre of the slot, grab it with a Leatherman, start swearing and pull like buggery until it goes through. :D Don't be scared of breaking it, the bar of the buckle is pretty bendy, but make sure you've got a good grip of the strap or you may rough up the webbing.

After a bit of swearing I got four Wavelocs onto my E&E. The problem I was having was the compression straps slipping if I had a bottle in the Skinny Mini long pockets on the side of the bag. Of course, the bottle is round and the buckles are flat and, when they were pulled tight, the shape of the bottle was forcing them open a touch. You can sorta kinda see what I mean here;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, the Wavelocs sorted it, no more slipping. Job's a dream. :D As always, I got the buckles from Supply Captain http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.Store

Although they come via Ian's Big Box O' Buckles;

[​IMG]

:lol:

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Ooh, that's a box I'd like to rifle through!

3. Doctor_Tattoo

Doctor_Tattoo Loaded Pockets

where can I order said box O' buckles?
    I looked around on supply captain's site and didn't find it, is that possibly your own mix?

thanks,
    Shawn

4. yellowhammer

How do C. Don't go all Sid James on us now :lol:

Sorry Shawn, you'll have to build up your own collection. If you get as sad as me you'll soon be cutting plastic hardware off of old bags "as it might come in handy for a project..." You should see the rest of the collection. ;)

5. Doctor_Tattoo

Doctor_Tattoo Loaded Pockets

Ah OK thanks, I think I will order a few items from supply captain though.

Thanks,
    Shawn

6. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Sid James? Surely that's more your domain ;)

7. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Thank you soooooo much Yellowhammer........it's nice to see I'm not the only one who is really sick :evilgrin: ;D

Mike

8. yellowhammer

I like to spread the madness/sadness around Mike. :D Notice the lack of Foliage in those pictures? I hope you're paying attention! :evilgrin:

9. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

You will be happy to know that I only use the foliage to make the OD look better :shock::lol

Mike

[​IMG]

10. yellowhammer

JUust a quick update on the QASM buckles. I cut the old female compression strap buckles off of my Raid 2 and replaced them with QASMs;

[​IMG]

This has a couple of advantages. The bag compresses noticeably more efficiently, and the compression straps are less prone to slip. Also it's a bit tidier without the old buckles flapping out (if they're undone of course) and the compression straps run more horizontally now - with the old buckles they were rather pulled at an angle. The downside is that the QASMs are a tiny but more difficult to access, but not enough to be any sort of issue. Besides, if I want to go back to the OE setup I can just whack a set of split-bars on.

Here you can see the QASM on the PALS, below the tab of the old buckle.;

[​IMG]

It's a useful little mod overall.

11. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Great stuff thanks for taking the time too take pics and post

12. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Yup......those are a nice upgrade Ian,I've been swapping them out on some of my rucks.Aren't those Wavelocks a bear sometimes ? LOL

Mike

13. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

:bow:Absolutely brilliant ! Wish I came up with that idea .. I'm going to have to get some of them ,)
    Thanks for your post !

BE WELL .. GH

14. yellowhammer

That's one word for it... the compression straps on the Raid are folded over three times before they're bartacked. They ain't never going through! ;D I've got the knack now though, each Kif. strap only takes about 30 seconds.

15. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Yeah I sacrificed a knuckle learning the "trick"..........a screwdriver and a good pair of pliers.LOL

Mike

16. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

QASM's not available in black. :(

17. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Yeah.....unfortunately most of the "trick" hardware is only available in coyote and foliage.

Mike

18. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

Has anyone ever dyed plastic hardware, like some have done with FRN knife handles? Assuming it could be done successfully, that would give you black QASMs.

19. el chupacabra

el chupacabra Loaded Pockets

Looks like this narrows my Kifaru purchase decision to OD, Foliage, or Coyote.... doh [​IMG]

20. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

For those who seek function over design (or Black), It's easy to make them with some fancy razor knife work and a bit of filing..
    [​IMG]
    This one needs some touchup !
    [​IMG]
    I have (and prefer) lots of 'Tan' gear so I'll be springing for the Real deal in time ,)

BE WELL .. GH