1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Putting together a 3 day emergency kit.

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Rev. Chuck, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

Has anybody has by any chance a check list, or suggestions what to put in there?

This is intended for a single person.

Thanks for the input

2. stormtracker

stormtracker Loaded Pockets

Well, most important things of course are:
    Food
    Water
    Shelter

I would also consider a weapon for self defense. Depending on what you anticipate, at the minimum a compact 9mm handgun and 50 rounds. IMO

I have a .45 and about 50 rounds and an AR 15 and about 300 rounds for my 3 day emergency kit.

Food needs to be high calorie - 2000 - 3000 per day
    water a minimum of 1/2 gallon with light to no exertion per day
    for shelter consider a sil nylon tarp ( small and rolls up into a small space )

Im considering a Kifaru Doobie blanket, Small and is good down to about 20 degrees. go to Kifaru to check those out.

I am developing a pack that will utilize my Unikits I make. I want to compartmentalize my gear. First Aide/ Tools/ Electronics,Communications. I can go on and on but alot of the gear selection is personal preference.

Now taking all of those things into consideration I outlined above. That can get pretty :censored: heavy. If your aging as I am physical conditioning is very important.

Hope this helps.

3. RobertRogers

RobertRogers Empty Pockets

Oft overlooked considerations are the ability to make water safe to drink (often a container is needed to boil water). Because water is too heavy and bulky to carry enough to last more than a day or two you need to plan on relying upon natural sources of water - which are often contaminated.

Also the ability to make a fire - with fire you can survive just about any environment even if you lack proper clothing or sleeping gear.

4. xxkid123

xxkid123 Loaded Pockets

a fire steel (lasts a good while longer than a lighter), a good knife- like a Mora (has a scandy grind for easy sharpening, lasts a good while, i wouldn't trade mine for a benchmade) and a tarp (shelter, if it's hot and sunny water purification), fishing line, a fishing hook. a Falkniven DC4 stone would be adequate for sharpening.

for a container i could use birch bark, just heat up stones till red hot, and let and drop them in. for larger food i would make an oven by making a pit in a ground, and burning wood till their just smoking embers. cover the meat in leaves, and pile sand on top. very hot.

to hunt i would use a sling, i can twist braid, and process plants. a bolas wouldn't be a bad idea, or an apache throwing star. if i could bring some more stuff with me i would bring a Cold Steel Big Bore Blowgun.

for shelter a good lean to shelter, except with much more "rafters" and covered in moss. i live in a slightly more northern area, so i have these materials.

I've spoke to some people who can just do about anything in the natural. they would first make a knife out of some type of stone or bone, then carve an atlatl to hunt with. they then make fire with a bow drill. give them a month and they will be living happily.

----------------------
    of course if this was a city then i would have pepper spray, a good cell phone with a speed dial that has 911 on it (america). then i would go in at least pairs, to insure safety.

5. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

For a 3-day kit where you might be bugging out or forting up, start with the basics and work your way out. In order of importance:

Shelter (including clothes, footwear, and making fire)
    Water (including purification)
    Medical (first aid, prescription drugs)
    Food
    Tools (including flashlights)
    Communications (including broadcast radio reception)
    Defense (see below)
    Sanitation
    Papers (ID, credit cards, insurance information, cash, contact information)

With regard to defense, don't carry anything that you don't know how to use. Don't stick a gun in your pack and expect to be able to use it expertly without training and practice, any more than a gi makes you a martial artist. Obey the law.

6. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

first aid
    food & prep tools for three days
    water for three days
    entertainment!

When hurricane Ike came through, the thing I missed most was entertainment. I had plenty of food/water, and didn't even look at my self defense stuff all week. But man, was I bored!

Next season (I.E. by late May), I will pack food for a week, more water (I survived, but it would've been nice to have a cup of tea!), and some guitar tabs (so I can practice new stuff without internet access). maybe some water colors to paint with, etc.

judging by the kinds of posts, there may be some confusion as to what a 3-day kit is in your mind. to me, it's not a BOB, it's a tub full of stuff that can help you stay comfortable for three days after a major disaster. I strongly suggest prepping for at least 1 week (it took FEMA 5 days to get water to the superdome)

you can
    FINALLY; someone knows shelter > water!
    you can die within three minutes if you don't get critical first aid (so medical should probably go at the top of your list)
    three hours without shelter
    three days without water
    three weeks without food

and as far as knowing how to use stuff- +1 on that, but for everything (what good is tinder, if you don't know how to build it into something more? heck, even a knife is useless if you don't know how to cut things safely!)

also, don't put hunting stuff in your BOB, or tub, or whatever until you've got at least 4000 calories worth of food in there. standard hunting-during-survival scenarios go like this:
    man gets lost in the woods
    man makes sling/spear/etc.
    man stalks the woods as loudly as possible, scaring away anything he can, while trampling all sorts of edible plants, and bugs
    man starves to death.