1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Put lumens in perspective for me: how bout a car headlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by MSCantrell, Sep 20, 2007.

1. MSCantrell

MSCantrell Loaded Pockets

Anybody got information about the output in lumens of a typical car headlight? How about in lux? :broke:

2. luigi

luigi Loaded Pockets

Around 800 - 1500 lumen in basic halogen lamps to 3500 in the new HID headlamps.
    You can read this Wikipedia article for more precise numbers and details about different headlamp technologies.

Luigi

3. Ultra

Ultra Banned

Is that in one or both of the left and right headlights? and normal lights or normal plus high-beams?

4. greenstuffs

greenstuffs Empty Pockets

Its very subjective, because it depend on the optics and a throwy beam might seem brighter than a flood beam i would say at the emitter they should range from 800lm of the low beam to 3500lm on high the new HID's of course YMMV.
    Playing with Mag85 or hotwire lights can give you an idea of a cars light.
    In my car i would like to have 4800k HID lamps anything higher makes them crippled in bad weather or fog.

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Empty Pockets

don't know about the figures but tryed driving a country lane (no street lights) at 3 in the morning with just my fenix L2D Cree on turbo worked OK at 50 mph but the throw wasn't enough for faster! if you try this hold your torch out the window before you turn it on as 135 Lumen's reflecting of your window can sort of spoil your night vision

6. LowTEC

LowTEC Empty Pockets

the ball park is right, single 45-55W halogen produces around 1500 lumen.

HID output is very linear and proportional with the Wattage, 10W->500, 24W->1800, 35W->3500, 50W->5500, 75W->8000+