1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Push To Talk Communication / Apps / Hardware

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Mitch_Aus, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:33 AM.

1. Mitch_Aus

Mitch_Aus Loaded Pockets

Hey All,

Anyone using the “Push To Talk” communication on your phone or dedicated hardware?

If so what apps have you been using? I have currently been using the app Zello for this type of communication.

I am thinking about making a channel within the Zello app so people from here can also chat with voice on there as well as text on here.

Anyways great to hear people’s thoughts on this.
    Cheers

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Not since Sprint killed off Nextel.... :(

Moshe ben David

adnj and YankeeHotelFoxtrot like this.
  3. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

Not that anyone asked, but, I, for one, am quite happy that Nextel folded. A company I used to work for shared space in an office building with a Nextel Customer Support center. Their employees were constantly yakking using the PTT functionality and, for the most part, their yakking did not include much in the way of important "business" conversation. It's bad enough when I encounter people in the supermarket talking loudly on their cellphones. It's inconsiderate, distracting and, frankly, nothing I need to hear. The world is a noisy enough place without PTT; let's just give everyone a megaphone and get it over with.

I don't believe younger people would use a service such as the one you are proposing. They don't even use the telephone aspect of their smartphones much at all. I would see it as a niche product that isn't really necessary any longer since messaging is so prevalent and since voice memos can be sent via iMessage. Everyone seems to have coped rather well since the downfall of Nextel.

4. Moshe ben David

@YankeeHotelFoxtrot: The Nextel PTT was never something really used by a broad customer base. Pretty sure most users were contractors of various sorts. Everything from construction, remodelers, sales force, IT. I got into it when I was in flooring sales. Pulled my son into it during his undergraduate years -- became very useful for staying in touch with him even though his campus was a 5 hour drive away!

It was more useful than texting and voice memos since it was real time. Really effective for coordination between members of a construction team for example. Also at least at the time much much cheaper than real time voice calls using 'normal' channels.

Always amused me during morning rush hours to stop in say a 7-11 and hear all the 'chirping' as the PTT calls were going off as contractors got their morning coffee! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It is interesting to compare the Nextel service thing to Texting today and I have observed that many who prefer texting seem to think it is EXACTLY the same as talking,EXACTLY!?!?!?

I have had the conversation several times now with different people who actually can not comprehend the difference somehow and seem to feel that one way messages devoid of any context or emotion is the same as "Mouth Words" which can easily convey a lot more information than a Text.

I am simply baffled by this?

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Mitch_Aus

Mitch_Aus Loaded Pockets

Yea, I guess it might be a neiche way to communication. You never know though it might take off and become really popular.

Having an interest in radio type communication I am pretty keen to pickup some hardware for PTT network communication. I am planning to pickup the Senhaix N60 which runs android software.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

A taxi company I drove for used Zello At Work (the paid business version) for dispatch. It worked pretty well. I've used the free version for road trips with multiple cars.

8. tandem

tandem Loaded Pockets

My family and friends sometimes use the mobile app Voxer (ios and Android)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

9. Mitch_Aus

Mitch_Aus Loaded Pockets

Being familiar with zelllo you may want to join the EDC channel on there:
    http://zello.me/k/gc30B

10. Mitch_Aus

Mitch_Aus Loaded Pockets

I have used voxer a few times but find Zello to be a better all round app.

11. Moshe ben David

You aren't alone...!

Which is why I liked PTT!

I realized after my earlier post - I don't think the demise of PTT for Nextel was all due to Sprint. More like it was an issue with FCC and how bandwidths were allocated. Seems like for most of its life, PTT was kinda sorta 'squatting' in a band that should have been left for First Responders. FCC knew; so it wasn't illegal or anything like that. But things reached a point such that FCC needed to 'reclaim' it for First Responders. Nextel lost out as did IIRC, Verizon who were attempting to get their own version of PTT off the ground - not very successfully. Nextel pretty much 'owned' that brand.

Pity for the demise. It was highly useful!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

Moshe ben David,

Yes, I'm aware of that and it didn't make listening to them any easier :-/. Seemed a bit much to me. The world doesn't need to hear private and prosaic conversations. It's fine on the job site, or in a business vehicle. Despite my current dislike of the FCC (over their Net Neutrality decision), I might need to send them a fruit basket to thank them for reclaiming the bandwidth and "muting" PTT once and for all.

EZ-Dog - I agree with you 100%!

13. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Nextel was great for groups of workers. Traveling in a group of test cars, we used PTT where land mobile was useless. Plus the hardware was more compact.

Bottom line, mobile was business oriented. That's not the case anymore.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. Moshe ben David

wish I had a dislike option this time... to each their own!

Moshe ben David

adnj likes this.