1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Prybars ... Viable metals instead of stainless/tool steel & titanium?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Crco, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

Like many of you, I'm a fan of keychain and pocket prybars of all the favorite designers/companies (Atwood, JDR, JRP, Lee Valley Tools, County Comm, STP over at the Knife Forums, Boker, etc.).

I was just wondering if any of you have run across any of these archetypical prybars that are *NOT* made out of stainless steel, tool steel or titanium?

Due to metallurgical structure and stress issues, I can see why the field of viable metal types are few and far-between. But I would tend to think there's got to be some cost-friendly alternatives. For example, can brass be processed or shaped to a decent keychain prybar? It has some advantages - it doesn't spark from impact, it has an arguably warmer visual aesthetic, and is less likely to mar delicate contact surfaces (since it is softer than steel). :knuppel2:

Any other metal candidates for keychain/pocket prybars?

2. lauriek

lauriek Loaded Pockets

Pedantic maybe but Talonite is not steel or titanium. (Yes I know it's pretty close to a Steel but without that Carbon...) :)

I thought that brass was more flexible than steel which would make it less suitable for a Prybar. However I'm sure you could make a steel prybar coated with brass for the spark/marr protection...

3. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

Talonite would be awesome! It's pretty much considered to be the pinnacle of rust-resistant metal. Expensive as hell though. A number of skilled knifesmiths over the years have experimented with talonite knives ... and now those knives are worth an ungodly amount of money. I think Peter Atwood did a small prybar-knife in talonite a year or 2 ago. You'll never see them on eBay. If you did, I'm sure they'd go for $750 or higher.

4. lauriek

lauriek Loaded Pockets

Peter's done a couple of knives in Talonite - I understand there are a very small number of Talonite Skeeters (maybe 2!) and there are certainly some Talonite MSoPTs around, I have one...

5. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

I'm also liking your brass/steel hybrid idea.

Although I don't know if "coating" is either cost-effective or metallurgically reliable/robust.

6. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Brass would be too soft for a pry tool, would have to be combined with something harder!

7. RexHavoc

RexHavoc Loaded Pockets

bronze would be harder than brass, but I think it would be brittle.

8. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Bronze actually would be pretty good if the right alloy is used. This is whats being used on some watch cases:
    UNI 5275 Bronze Alloy - Nickel Aluminum Bronze (CuAl11Fe4Ni4)

Mechanical Properties [Typical] Continuous Cast
    Yield Strength 300 MPa
    Ultimate Tensile Strength 680 MPa
    Typical Hardness 200 HB (Brinell)

It has pretty good corrosion resistance, and of course, it takes on a great patina.

I'm also thinking maybe carbon fiber with embedded steel or titanium at the pry points might work.

9. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

It's also odd that we aren't seeing some enterprising individual making a small prybar out of polymer composites. While the thick chunky part of the prybar is likely conducive to plastics .... the serious load-bearing part of the thin pry tip is likely the problem.

10. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Something Tungsten based ?

11. lauriek

lauriek Loaded Pockets

Tungsten is hard but I'm not sure it's quite the right material to take that kind or torsion, I have a suspicion it could snap! Hopefully someone who knows more about materials science will chime in!

I would imagine it would be quite expensive too, and I also wouldn't be surprised if it could spark...

Composites sound interesting and I'm sure it's technically possible to make a sturdy composite pry-bar, but I doubt it would be a simple bar, I suspect it would require a much more complex construction!

12. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Rhodium would make one hell of a tool but it is many, many times the price of gold or platinum.

13. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Can't see the forces being that great for a key chain pry bar. They do make wedding rings out of tungsten carbide. And I think the alloys with nickel & copper make it less brittle if that is a problem.

14. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Closest existing thing I can think of would be bicycle tyre levers.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Tools/ShuttleLever1_2