1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pry tools - do you carry one?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Gatsby, Aug 21, 2008.

?

Do you carry a pry tool as part of your EDC, and if yes, how?

1. Yes - key ring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes - pocket

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Yes - other (pack, etc...)

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. No need for one

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

A common part of EDC gear that intrigues me is the prevalence of various pry tools. Given my job, the number of things I have to pry on a daily, weekly or monthly basis is pretty limited, certain enough that I'm not inclined to add the weight of a pry tool to my key ring. But I've pondered a CountyComm micro or regular widgy in my briefcase (which I also try to keep as light as possible, but if it is worth it I'd add one) - so if you carry one how do you carry it, and if you want to expand your reply, why do you carry one and how often (and for what uses) do you use it?

Thanks!

2. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

No. I carry at least 2, usually more. lol I have a CC mini widgy in my SpecOps T.H.E. wallet, a micro widgy in my SAK belt sheath, an Atwrench in my pocket, and a gerber artifact in my pack. Yeah, I'm diseased, please don't stare... lol

3. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I carried a micro wiggy bar from County Comm for a while. I just upgraded to a G3 Prybaby. I am an LEO and a firearms instructor. I often come across things that I need to pry at, scrape, screw etc. I would be lying if I said I needed it everyday, but when you need one, it is a nice thing to have and it is easy enough to carry

I loved the wiggy bar, but the combo of the curve and the very sharp end did some damage to my pants pocket.

4. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

Used to carry my Artifact on my keychain... but it was the straw that broke the camel's back. I didn't use it everyday... and when I needed it... my pack was close by... so it's now found a home in my Lunada.

5. bzorg

bzorg Loaded Pockets

Termite in the right little pocket ;D

6. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

CC Mini Widgey on my keys & a small paracord wrapped bar in my Last Resort (roughneck bar?).
    Considering upgrading tt a recently purchased EOD breacher bar but worried that it might be considered a fixed blade knife IF Im ever stopped & searched by the Bobbies.

Ive used my Widgey as a scraper & screwdriver afew times at work.
    The larger bar has been used to break into a cabinet that someone lost the keys to.
    Its carried chiefly as a sort of rescue tool, I guess. Just in case.

7. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

I have well equipped tool boxes both at home and work. I tried carrying a pry bar on person for a while and really found no practical use for it. I've been seeing pry tools of all sorts on EDCF and still wonder exactly what these are used for.

8. Jaygnar99

Jaygnar99 Empty Pockets

I made one shortly after joining EDCF but I don't carry it because I never used it. It found a home in my bugout bag. :shrug:

9. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

Right now carrying a Mini TI Rhinopry or Vintage Key Screwdriver/Pry like a Proto or something else as cool. Used to carry a Damascus Key Fob Pry from Ray Kirk. It's just taking a breather for now.

10. lightsandknives

lightsandknives Empty Pockets

I have a CC micro widgy as well as an Atwrench on my keychain. I used my Atwrench this morning adjusting the tab on my mailbox to loosen it up just a tad so it would open & close easier. I've been thinking about removing the micro widgy, but so far I haven't. It seems to be a duplication, but it's much thinner for smaller jobs. The Atwrench just seems indestructible!

11. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

I carry a craftsman flat tip pocket screwdriver. In a shirt pocket. No one even cares about it, as it looks like a pen. Yes I work in a office, but jeans are o.k. here. This was started when I first saw these mini pry bars a couple years ago. This screwdriver can be used daily. Pop cans, opening mail, staple remover, and yes a screwdriver, anything you would use a fingernail for, ;D I'm a guy with short nails, what can I say. Much more useful to me than a prybar and under $5.00. But I do have to admit those ti bars look sweet. If anyone has seen Toxic by Blair tools, these can work as a cheep Eyez Pix(spelled correctly) also. I have carried a micro and regular widgy (homemade, just cut down a mini prybar from most local hareware stores) before, but found the screwdriver much more useful.

12. Demolition Dan

Demolition Dan Loaded Pockets

13. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, Caveman.

14. SheepDog556

SheepDog556 Empty Pockets

Original Prybaby is in my pocket every day.

15. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

Interesting replies - like most EDC other than a light and a blade it appears to be a highly individual thing.

Now a screwdriver is a different thing altogether - particularly the one I seem to never have which is a truly small eyeglasses screwdriver. Although I use the screwdriver on my minichamp a lot and am thinking about an ALOX SAK to add a screwdriver to my pocket carry. I used to carry the minichamp exclusively but did find I wanted a bigger blade often enough to warrant moving that to the keyring and a larger folder (back actually) into my pocket. Any prying need I've had, however, has been small enough to be accomplished with the minichamp screwdriver, but again a larger one would be useful.

16. FlipMag

FlipMag Guest

[​IMG]

Prybaby on the keyring....hmmm never used, well I've pryed a few bottle caps with it...

17. Roger Beep

Roger Beep Loaded Pockets

I always carry a Titanium Gasbaby on my keyring. I like that one better than the normal steel version, because the Ti version is so thin.
    Use it about 2 or 3 times a day to pry, unscrew or whatever. The rest of the day I fiddle with it ;D

18. EODtech

EODtech Loaded Pockets

My pry tool is in the pouch with my other EDC items - LM Charge XTi, bits, Fisher Space pen, flashlight

[img width=205 height=640]http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww171/polishsumgai/edcALL.jpg[/img]

19. mikel81

mikel81 Loaded Pockets

Been meaning to get one of these fubars for the trunk, or b.o.b.

[​IMG]

20. Itamimasu

Itamimasu Loaded Pockets

I use my Atwood Nibble daily to pry all sorts of odd stuff.
    And have a 3' crowbar just inside the door of my Jeep.
    Almost never use it, but when I have needed it, I am very happy I had it.