1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pry Bars

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by joeyontz, Feb 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. joeyontz

joeyontz Loaded Pockets

I see a lot of guys displaying their pry bars. Do you get much use from them and if so what are you using them for? I have never thought that I needed one. But then I never used a flashlight much until I started carrying one in my pocket.

2. THERoxyStarr

THERoxyStarr Loaded Pockets

I always have a Gerber Shard somewhere in my bag or on my keys, and honestly, I thought I would use the pry bar part a lot more than I actually do. It's one of those things where it's really nice to have it when I DO need it, but I seldom ever need it.

3. Enzo01

Enzo01 Loaded Pockets

I carry the Gerber Artifact on my keychain. Only used the prybar a few times but use the ""Xacto" knife often.

4. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Rfpd29 likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

My keychain has two: a NiteIze Doohickey, and a mini size CountyCom Ti widgy bar. My bag has a larger size Ti widgy bar. Do I use them often? No. But I do use them, and thereby am not even in the slightest tempted to damage any of my blades by torturing them by using them to pry something!

I think that's a useful tradeoff!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Here's my prybar. Use it every day. Much faster than going for the work-issue stuff in my toolbox.

7. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

EMarkM and Rfpd29 like this.
  8. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

I bought a cheap one a few years ago, but never really needed it. This week, a strap lock on my Jazz bass decided to go chronically loose. The pry bar works for this, use, and to tighten the nut on the jack. I threw it in the parts/ tool pouch where it will stay. Is important to get on with the show.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

9. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Not daily, but here and there
    I have a few and for a bit didnt carry any at all, but its better than using things NOT intended as a pry

[​IMG]

Rfpd29 likes this.
  10. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Other than to open an occasional paint can, I don’t think I’ve ever used mine. I don’t carry them much anymore because if I need a pry bar, I’ll get a real one from the toolbox, and they keychain doohickeys are cool in theory, but have never proved to have much utility for me personally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fishin Fool likes this.
  11. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

Yeah, prying things does not come up as often as cutting things. When it does, it requires a crow bar, not a stubby dohicky.

Fishin Fool likes this.
  12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

LOL. I have a separate tool ring dangling in my pocket with some 'gadgets' on it. Especially the one & only DooHickey!

At present these include:
    > two house keys that I never use. Always come in through the garage - which might explain why my front door lock needs a locksmith's attention! ;)
    > a small (~2") County Com Ti 'widgy pry tool'. To be honest, rarely used except when I sometimes encounter a staple to be pried up.
    > a LM Squirt PS4. The usual assortment: pliers also able to cut a wire, small knife, file, scissors, screwdriver - you know what I mean. Surprisingly, the pliers do get used more than I expected.
    > a NiteIze DooHickey. I don't really use the pry end hardly as a pry tool - but sometimes for cutting through packing tape on a box or to cut through a seal on a jar. The cap lifter aspect DOES get used... and that alone makes it worth having this thing in my pocket! :)

Nope. Ain't got no pics....

Yeah, there's some redundancy on that ring. But it rides nice in my pocket, isn't heavy, and whenever I use any of the items I'm just :censored: glad they're there! :)

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

13. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I have a leatherman 1 I got for free on my wallet chain but can't ever remember using it. Frankly when I need to pry something I agree some tiny key chain toy aint gonna work.

14. EMarkM

EMarkM Loaded Pockets

It always interests me how divisive a topic this is.

I ALWAYS have a small pry bar on me. I select whichever one takes my fancy from my Leatherman Piranha 2, LM Brewzer, LM BtN 10, Gerber Shard and NiteIze DoohicKey.

I use them for prying small items (Lego, paint cans, animal enclosures that have frozen during winter, the list is literally endless), scraping, turning, screwing, scratching, opening.

I never get tempted to use my knife blade instead, and never subject my SAK "prying" blades (for instance the bottle opener or awl) to unnecessary force.

My indoor and outdoor lifestyle makes them feel essential. Many other tool freaks simply do not see the point of them at all :)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

I honestly can't see much/any use for a pry bar small enough to fit on a key chain. The smallest one I have is a Snap-on bar with a screw driver handle, which is good for confined space ( about 9" long). I've been opening half-used paint cans this week to do some decorating under lock-down. Maybe you could open a new paint can with a tiny pry bar, but when the lid's stuck down with dried paint - no chance..................

Bad Company likes this.
  16. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I don't quite agree. EDC to me is more about being prepared for what I didn't plan for, rather than selecting the right tool for the job. Prybars aren't utterly useful, but they are very simple, inexpensive (if you so choose), easy to carry and very low maintenance. It took me a while to accept their usefulness, but now I have a few, and as with so many other items, when you have it with you it will eventually come in handy.
    My most used pry tool is a 3" Maratac I carry in my wallet. Not because that's the best size, but it's almost always with me. I have others in my EDC as well; a smaller one on my key chain, a slightly bigger one in my backpack and an even bigger one in my travel organizer. To me, it's all about having something instead of nothing. If I knew I needed it, it wouldn't be part of my EDC but instead a dedicated tool in my toolkit.

[​IMG]
    an old pic showing wallet and prybar

[​IMG]
    The small one on top is the one on my key chain. I rarely carry my key chain on my body, but still, this is as large as I'm willing to go for that application.

[​IMG]
    The large pry bar while I tested it out in my toolkit before I decided to moved it to my travel kit / car kit.

EMarkM and Moshe ben David like this.
  17. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I always carry some type of pry tool and have often used it to remove pebbles and mud from the soles of my boots. I've added a few new pry tools since taking these photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I carry a Gerber Shard on my keychain. I'm not in love with it, it's a little heavy and kind of sharp in the pocket, but I do find it useful periodically, especially since my work often requires a small prybar. While I would prefer to replace it with a flat prybar (like the straight Widgy Bars from CountyCom), I find that the curved prying edge to be really useful at times.

I don't use it a ton, but there have been times where it was really useful, and I do find that I use it for multiple things so for the moment it's going to stay in my rotation.

19. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

I'm sure it's also dependent on one's employment.
    For desktop jockeys, I don't see much purpose.

20. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I've carried one for the better part of 20 years. I probably started right around the time Atwood released his first prybaby. Working in a warehouse, definitely a handy thing to have on the keychain. I worked at a trucking company that didn't necessarily believe in providing all the necessary equipment. We had all the tape we needed to reclose and repair boxes but not a tape gun in sight. Easier and better to jab the tape to cut it with the corner of the prybar than using a knife that would get gummed up or a pen that eventually would stop working.

For years it was a mini pry bar from Lowes or Home Depot that I cut and ground to an appropriate size for keychain duty, I also put a flat head screw driver on 'non prying' end. I still have it floating around someplace. But I stopped loading trucks for a living about five years ago, and found it was superfluous on the keychain at that time. Other than prying out staples or other extremely light duty where they just are used as fingernail savers, they honestly have minimal utility for me. It would have almost always been better to have the correct tool, like a tape gun. A flat head screwdriver opens a paint can better. A staple remover does a better job removing staples. If you work with your hands and end up breaking fingernails often by using them to do things like remove staples, it might be a good tool for you, otherwise in my experience it's more about the neat-o factor rather than utility.

That said, I also got several nicer models like Ti widgy bars from County Comm, but they honestly have seen minimal use even though one model or another has been in my EDC bag for like fifteen years. When I say minimal, I doubt it's been used a half dozen times ever. Small, light, and hey, neat-o, it's made of Titanium! They take up minimal space and weigh next to nothing.

Grizz

Moshe ben David likes this.