1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Protection while on a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by alan85, Mar 23, 2009.

1. alan85

alan85 Loaded Pockets

Any bikers out there? I just got my first bike and now i'm looking for some protection I can EDC when riding it. I don't think a handgun would be the best option, or would it?
    Maybe a neck knife? Any suggestions? What do you have for protection when cycling?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

My motorcycle is my primary means of transportation. I carry my Glock 19 everywhere I go...except to work, dang it. I did carry it when I was driving my car, because I could leave it locked in the vehicle. Even though I have hard-sided lockable saddlebags/topcase, I'm still not comfortable leaving a pistol in there for 12 hours overnight while I'm at work.

I carry my pistol in a SOB rig. I've gotten to the point where I barely notice it, until about 10-12 hours, then I start to feel it, especially if the holster is up against my skin.

I suppose it could work against me in case of a crash, but I wear all the gear...jacket with armor in shoulders/elbows/spine, gloves with hardened knuckle guard, full face helmet, boots, and riding pants with armor in the knees and hips. Another alternative is to have the pistol in a saddlebag or tank bag, then put it on your person once you've stopped. Just requires a bit of discretion when doing it, obviously.

Tim

3. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

The Winchester 1887? ;D

What are you looking to protect yourself against while on your bike?

4. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Bike jackings are becoming more common everyday, lone motorcyclists seem like good victims. I carry all the time on my bike but I do not carry on my body as that would create a pressure point during a get off and increase damage, but I don't even carry a cellphone of keys in my pockets for the same reason. My fatboy currently serves as my CCW platform on the bike, considering moving to a gearslinger though.

Here is my baby setup for a weekend run, what are you riding?

[​IMG]

5. alan85

alan85 Loaded Pockets

Bike thieves. As Synaptic said they are fairly common in some places and seem to be increasing everywhere. A co-worker recently told me he knew of a group of people that made a living off stealing bikes from lone wolfs when they stopped at stop signs, stop lights, gas stations, etc. From what he told me, They would ride 3 people in a truck, look for a lone wolf, follow him, wait for him to stop some where there isn't a lot of people around, 2 of the guys would get out the truck, one would rip the guy off the bike, and wrestle him while the other guy drives off with the bike. Then he would jump back in the truck and they would drive off. He told me they could average 3 or 4 bikes per week! Hearing this has me a little worried as my bike is my sole means of transportation right now. I just blew the engine in my truck so I drive my bike at all times of day. I find myself stopping in "bad" areas late at night, too frequently.

Nice bike and setup. I ride a '05 Ninja 500. It's not too sporty nor too boring. Sorry no pics yet.

6. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Ah the venerable Ninja 500. That bike is a great bike to start with and use forever, I have ex racer buddies who ride them because they are so fun.

As far as what to carry I would suggest a stainless compact semi-auto 45(RIA, Para Warthog or Springfield) or a J-frame S&W hidden hammer .357 revolver. Do you have your Concealed License yet?

What part of Florida are you in?

7. alan85

alan85 Loaded Pockets

I'm in lakeland, (between tampa and orlando). I do not have my CCW yet.

8. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Not too far from you in St. Pete. I put together day rides every once in awhile if you are interested let me know.

9. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

It seems like you could carry on-body if it's in the front or side of your torso. Don't we tend to go all armadillo in a crash and curl in a ball? Some kind of horizontal chest or shoulder holster with a small S&W 642, or 638, or 640, or something similar might work. A small waist pack could be worn in front as a different approach. Another option might be a boot or ankle carry, but that has issues of dirt and grime, and it can be slow to access in a pinch.

The problem of on-bike carry is that you could be quickly separated from the bike by a group of thieves.

You might also check www.thehighroad.org, which is a gun forum, but a very good one. Search there for motorcycle threads, and you might find that someone else has already found a solution...

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

10. grndslm

grndslm Loaded Pockets

I'm a member of http://www.motoredbikes.com and somebody suggested a collapsible baton attached to the frame. I thought I'd figured it out with a CRKT M16-13SFG, but that guy nailed it. I could easily snap it to the frame and carry it to/from my motorized bicycle, along with my Fenix L2D-Q5 as a headlight.

$20 for something that'll take down anybody that doesn't have a gun... plus you don't need to reload.

11. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

I have one of these. Works great! But I got a new one so Im gonna clean my old one up and sell it. lol

12. froldt

froldt Loaded Pockets

Geez that's scary to think about! I don't know if it's better to ride at home in the country where there's no one around but very few stops, or in the city where there are always people around. So now I have to be extra alert, not only drivers but also thieves. :mad:

13. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Not sure where you are located but in most states collapsible batons require the same license to carry as a firearm. Without proper training they can be very deadly, folks have died from getting soft tissue hits which caused an embolism.

Foldt,

It is scary but as the world declines financially violent crimes against persons will increase as will the desperation levels of the criminals. What Alan is describing happened to a friend of mine about six months ago except the thieves did not count on him stuffing a Glock and a Sheriff's badge in their faces.

14. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

A couple of the hardcore guys I ride with have these on their bikes at all times. (Might look out of place on a sportbike, though.)

http://www.chilhowee.net/whips.html

Probably no more or less useful than a little ASP or billy club or whatever... but I'll tell you from experience, that heavy metal quick-release buckle sure will leave a dent in something.

15. grndslm

grndslm Loaded Pockets

Really??  MOST states?  Have you read the laws of every state?

I just looked over the MS Code, and a CCW permit is only required for stun guns, pistols, & revolvers.  It seems pretty retarded to me that any state would require a license for such a defensive weapon.  Is there a law against carrying baseball bats with you?

Point is... if you're afraid of guns, don't have the money to buy one, bullets, CCW permit, etc...  a big stick is your best defense from multiple people or even people bigger than you.  A knife won't do jack to somebody who's 2 feet taller than you.  And collapsible batons deserve a home on every biker's ride.

EDIT: How does CCW on a bike without a permit work anyway? You're allowed to travel with protection in the vehicle, right?!? If you're just walking down the streets of New York, that's one thing... but if it's only in your vehicle??

16. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dude wasn't trying to pee in you cornflakes, just trying to help.

Well since only 34 states actually honor my states license, no just those 34 states laws..including MS. As a license holder it is my responsibility to know what is legal where. Several states right off my head that specifically list batons, there are more.

Maryland - No carry
    Texas - No carry EVEN WITH A CCW LICENSE
    Florida - Carry with CCW
    New York - No carry

Depends on how the LEO perceives it, under certain circumstances yes it can be.

I agree and will go further to say since almost all "shall issue" states have the same requirement to own the firearm as they do to purchase (minus a proof of proficiency) then if you own it legally you should be able to carry without obtaining a license. This is how it is in Vermont, if you can own it you can carry it.

While you are correct MS code does not specifically state collapsible batons are prohibited the definition goes on to include "deadly weapon" which is up to the LEO discretion. Even though they may ultimately be wrong it could still cause you some hassle. Bear in mind what I previously said stand many states consider the ASP baton a deadly weapon as it is one, some states they are outright illegal to own.

Another example is my state issues a concealed weapons permit where your state issue a concealed handgun permit. In my state I can carry any weapon concealed, whereas if I visited your state only my pistol can be carried.

I'm not a lawyer but I assume in MS a motorcycle is considered a motor vehicle but I am not sure what constitutes "within any motor vehicle". In my state the law uses the term conveyance and has been interpreted to include bicycles, power chairs and wheelchairs as long as the bag or container is attached to the conveyance. Before I got my license I carried a pistol in the frame bag on a bicycle and it was legal. Where things get dicey with motorcycles is does the container need to be permanently attached to be considered part of the vehicle or not. Best bet is to ask a LEO or a lawyer.

Hope the above helps.

SM

17. grndslm

grndslm Loaded Pockets

Heh... my bad.  I have the tendency of typing things that get people all riled up for some reason.  :slap:

Hear, hear!!  ... as long as you have no felonies, of course.

Dude... you're the man.  I've read that a few times and my selective brain managed to pass over that "or within any motor vehicle" part.  Thanks a million!

18. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

19. froldt

froldt Loaded Pockets

This is just a thought, but what about a wrench? I'm not sure how to store it while riding so that you have easy access and it is also safely secured. I carry a tool kit with me, and include a wrench in it. I presume that no one needs any sort of license to carry a tool that the vehicle might need, and it could easily be used as a "persuasive" tool as well.

I'm not overly surprised, this is something I hadn't previously considered. As I am already an alert rider, this is simply something else that I will keep an eye out for.

Those are some sharp looking whips. While I wouldn't be interested in purchasing one for myself, I might consider making one of those. I can purchase my own leather and make one of my own.

20. lukem

lukem Empty Pockets

I carry a Glock 17, right on my right hip when I ride.
    I have no illusions about getting into a gunfight while riding through town though, when on-bike my primary defense is to get the heck outta the area ASAP.
    I have at least one friend that has been down at some speed while wearing a holster and a Glock. no damage was done to her by the gun. the minor rash on the gun was covered by an after market grip-tape type product.

On the batons, check your state and municipal laws carefully, batons, nightsticks, saps, and similar devices are often names specifically under a separate heading from guns and knives.

I know in TN you have to have a baton certification card to carry a baton.

OC is probably the safest thing to carry, even where it's not legal most cops would give you the benefit of the doubt and let you go.

As always, your mind is your primary tool for self defense. run that red light/stop sign/whatever to get away from them.
    Keep your head on a swivel!
    If you're riding a motorcycle, you should be aware of potential problems well before they become actual problems.