1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Protac 1L-1AA-Pretty Nifty!

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by EZDog, Oct 20, 2016.

1. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

The ability to use AAA is a nice + should you get in a jam. My thought is to use the 1L-1AA as a part time single level EDC where I would also carry a small single cell multi-mode light that will be a true neutral anyway so the lack of a neutral tint won't be as big of an issue. Still might play around with adding a filter in the end when I get one. Cool white is fine some of the time but like you I find that neutral in the woods or other natural settings is superior to my eyes.

G39 likes this.
  2. G39

G39 Loaded Pockets

That's why I ordered the H1R in neutral. I spend a lot of time in the woods in the dark hunting, hiking or camping. If the olight is more neutral it will be perfect. For my eyes there is less strain with the 1L-1AA already.

Now if only I could get the light on the iPhone to be neutral instead of cool. Flash pictures would look so much better.....

3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

This is my take as well. Definitely not the same tint as my Malkoffs, ZL SC52w, older 4Sevens with neutral emitters, etc.. Regardless, the tint on my 1L-1AA isn't bad. To my eyes, it has a hint of green (not that my aging eyes are a good indicator!) and is not harsh like many cooler tints.

I'm pretty well set with my EDC lights and mainly bought the 1L-1AA to check out the dual fuel capability, but it's turned out to be a good light that often gets carried in my EDC bag as a beater/loner.

ZMZ67 likes this.
  4. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

I’ve had one of these since early 6/16 and carry it daily. Over that time I’ve recommended it to a fair number of people and have seen a good number of these in person. I have to say the tint has been pretty darn consistent across all of them and not in any way what I would consider cool white.

edited to correct the date.

#24 Tusk, Sep 8, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    G39 likes this.
  5. G39

G39 Loaded Pockets

Last four of the serial number line is the build date. It would be an easy way to see how and if the tint has or hasn't changed over time. I ordered a second from a vendor in a different part of the country hoping the date would be a large enough difference to compare. It comes tomorrow. My one I have now is 03/17.

The tint is noticeably more neutral. I didn't have to do a side by side to observe it, you will see it on its own. My neutral white H1R gets here tomorrow too, I'll compare all of them to my cool white S1R tomorrow night.

6. G39

G39 Loaded Pockets

I got the second 1L-1AA today and the H1R came as well. Both protac lights are exactly the same and only four months apart. Other than the serial number you can't tell them apart tint or brightness wise.

One thing is the H1R came with a pocket clip I will never use. So I snapped it onto the 1L-1AA. Fits perfect and now it carries a lot deeper in the pocket.

H1R is noticeably more neutral than the protac. The protac is a good light that will appeal to someone looking for traits from both tints. I like it but the olight is much more preferred for it's intended use.

7. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

I have to agree with you and EZDog. I picked one up today and don't see any real evidence of neutral. I would also agree that the tint is pretty decent for cool white. Haven't played with it much yet but I like it and it will probably see some carry time. Doesn't look like there is going to be an easy way to add any filter material so I will probably leave it as is since the tint isn't too bad.

twin63 likes this.
  8. G39

G39 Loaded Pockets

Looks like there is a light out there that uses the same concept of duel fuel without the need for a different tube put on.

The Nextorch TA10, and it can use 16340 and 14500. It's size is much larger though.

http://www.nextorch.com/en/index.php/products/110

BigGreenTick likes this.