1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Project EDC: The Quest

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by NInjaSMS, Jan 10, 2010.

1. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

Updated: 1/10/2010

Here we go, I think its official now. I now have more bags than my wife! Might as well share some images and setup with you guys. As many of you looking for the perfect bag. The more I research and buy something tells me that there won't be such a thing because my needs are too specialized at times. Which will require separate bags.

The following is my collection and short stories as to how my edc addiction evolved.

The Collection

[​IMG]
    SwissGear Synergy backpack (this was my main school bag and the one that started my bag fancy

This is the bag that started it all. Before I really didn't care about backpacks. But once I started carrying a laptop around it was an entire new setup. I'm a techie-type who needs lots of pouches to store electronic accessories. This bag was like a dream come true. Never before had I seen the "perfect" laptop backpack. This had it all, space for folders, tools, laptop, comfy. It was the one! Then, I realized how bulky the darn thing was. It was like a huge bubble. Not only that, this was/is a very popular bag. So i started seeing other people wearing it, big turn off. Needed a change.

[​IMG]
    Ogio Metro

Some research went into my next bag as always. I found the Ogio Metro, which had an unique side loading laptop compartment. No more having the bag fall over on itself like the Ogio's predecessor the Syngery did. This was nicely hidden, side access. Lots of pouches. Slim profile, quick grab. After some usage I realized that the bag was "too stiff" for my liking. The water bottle holder was zippered and not mesh/exposed like the Synergy. Also the top pocket's bottom fell into the main compartment which was a nuisance since it got in the way of books and whatever else I had stored there. But this was the trade-off for a slimmer profile.

[​IMG]
    SwissGear Mono Sling

Next came the purchase of a netbook. I was tired of hauling a 5.5 lb laptop and wanted ultimate portability. Along came this awesome super-low profile and lightweight SwissGear Mono Sling. I would fir my netbook in it. But the problem no water holder. This is mainly in use by my wife.

[​IMG]
    STM Laptop Bag (thought it looked so cool but now its passing)

The bag bug bit again! This time at Target when I saw this laptop messenger. Stylish, would fit files, charger. The bad: NO WATER BOTTLE HOLDER. Also annoying Velcro. This one is in the closet.

[​IMG]
    Maxpedition Jumbo (which is my imaging camera bag)

Things were fine for a while, but I discovered this forum. EDCForums! Oh man, was I in trouble now. Tons of other people with the bag addiction! This couldn't be good for my checking account. I went ahead and got the Jumbo, since it had everything I wanted. Water bottle holder, places to attach camera bag, even my Lenovo S10 netbook would fir inside and would be protected from rain. Excellent bag! Use once in a while for outdoors. Trips to theme parks, Las Vegas, etc.

[​IMG]
    Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger (black and a foliage green one that is up for sale)

A blog about Jack Bauer using this bag helped in purchasing this sling. For when I needed something bigger than the Jumbo that I could use to fit clothes into. Very cool looking bag! Its the most used since I can stuff clothes and it pretty much is my current EDC bag. Monkey Admin pouch and RollyPollys are attached. I can fit my netbook in the water bladder compartment. The only gripe I had with this sling is that it can't be worn for extensive periods of time since you cannot switch shoulders and the padding on the strap is not very good. But I hardly wear it, just a grab and go back home-to-car-to-work kind of deal. I only wear it when I'm going to the car. But am considering it for a trip to China soon.

[​IMG]
    BBP Hampton Hybrid Bum Backpack

Liking the idea of messenger and backpack configurations, I went ahead and purchased this puppy for its versatility. Its okay, but it seems like its too big. The front pockets are not that useful since I don't trust their effectiveness. This one is questionable.

[​IMG]
    M-51 Engineer's Field Bag

Wanting something lighter and less tactical looking, more low-key than the BBP bag and easier to get in and out of the bus. M-51 came along. Relatively cheap, I thought why not give it a try. I can fit some books, water bottle, computer tools and I like the canvas feel of it. The construction and quality seem below par as I have grown accustomed to Maxpedition quality. This one is probably not going to make it, but I'll give it a try for some time.

The quest still continues, I did purchase the Jack Sack

[​IMG]

Very inexpensive and will probably use for overnight weekly stays at relatives since the monsoon can't handle THAT many clothes.

##############################################################
    Current Considerations
    Even after all this I am still considering these:

[​IMG]
    Still considering the Vulture II for 3-day pack. Camping and longer stays.

[​IMG]

LAPolice Gear 3 day pack seems like it might be my 3-Day pack. Very cheap compared to Maxped, would like some input on this one.

After much consideration, it seemed reasonable not to go for the cheap LAPolice Gear 3-Day backpack that might snap or break under heavy loads. Might as well get something that will last longer.

So that's my story for now, it was a long write. If you read through it and enjoyed it thanks! If not all the same! Until next time, the quest continues!

******** After spanking from mods hotlinked images were fixed to free host ************
    Hotlinked images removed and replaced with links.
    Please see "What is Hot Linking, and why isn't it allowed?" in the FAQ.
    Also, please see How to and Where to host pictures.
    -Valolammas
    :baa:

2. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

I realize that You don't NEED anymore bags, but have You looked at the Maxped Mongo?
    I've read a lot of reviews on the forum about it and it sounds like it works well as a laptop bag with plenty of room to spare for your water bottle and anything else.

3. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

subscribing for info. nice collection!

4. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

Yes, I don't NEED anymore bags that's for sure. But its never a case of NEEDING. This is why these forums are great. I heard about the Mongo coming out, but never paid any attention. It DOES look like it would fit the bill in nicely. But I want something a bit more low key looking. Then again its tempting!

Will add that to the maybes list.

Thanks! Updates will come.

5. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

You will never find that "one" bag/pack......

6. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

M-51 Engineer's Field Bag
    Price: $23-$30 Amazon.com

Here is the bag by itself without anything in it. Next update will have it with gear.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

Maxpedition Monsoon Gearslinger - Black

This is the current EDC bag. Attachments include phone holster, Money Admin Pouch, Small RollyPoly, Mega RollyPoly. The purpose of this bag is everyday and laptop carry. It will fit my Lenovo S10 (10" netbook) just fine in the rear compartment. I also borrowed the missus' MacBook Pro 13" as you will see in the images. Fits rear bladder compartment just fine as well.

MEGA RollyPoly is used for shoes, slippers. I do not advise long-term or prolonged carry with this gearslinger since its only one shoulder and you'll get tired quickly. I don't wear it as much and it goes home-to-car-to-work. I do like the ability to add/remove pouches as needed. Sometimes I don't need everything. But a RollyPoly always comes in handy. This is not a review of the bag, I'm just showing you how I use it. There are plenty of reviews out there.

A day's change of clothes fit in nicely with either laptop or netbook shown here. Below are the images of the bag.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Well .. I can see you have the 'Bag bug' and 6 bags is only the beginning man ..
    I rotate on a regular basis with 10 or so bags myself and I'm always making new accusations ..
    After going through at least 30+ bags/packs/slings/pouches and rucksacks I started to give them away as I got new ones ..
    Now I'm moving more toward the self made and modified approach with some help from members here
    and a few 'shells' ready made to start with ..
    Leather is my Craft medium and the integration with Velcro/Molle etc. should Prove to be interesting especially with all the ideas I find here at EDCF !

Good luck in your search for the perfect bag(s) &

BE WELL .. GH

9. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

Oh wow rotation of 10 bags eh? I'm doing something similar to your method. I'm also giving away some packs that I don't need. What is it about EDC? I don't really NEED anything other than the first backpack. Its just a way of thinking I suppose. But its fun, cool new bags. I wonder if this is what it is like for women when some of them buy different types of shoes or purses. We say that ours are functional but as you can see in my posts, that's just an excuse!

Could I have a link to any of your bags/modifications? You've intrigued me. I'm ending the beginner EDC stage and entering intermediate. I wonder if later on I'll reach advanced like you. :lolhammer:

10. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

nice pix ninja....that's why i subscribed :p pack :censored: FTW!

11. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

Thanks, yes there will be more to come. I believe I've set my eyes on a Maxpedition Vulture II as my 3-day pack.

But first to try the JackPack

12. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

HA-HA ! "Advanced" .. I'm just getting starting .. I'll keep you posted .. ,)

BE WELL .. GH

13. 1776super

1776super Empty Pockets

I have the M-51. I think it is a great layout, etc. But semi-poor quality.

There are all these ripoff replicas of the high end bags. I wish a high end company would make a high quality ripoff of the M-51.

14. Claren

Claren Loaded Pockets

You listed the LAPOLICEGEAR 3-day pack. If what you liked about it was the design (and not just the price-point), then you should know it is a copy-cat design of the THE Pack by Spec-Ops. This bag is of excellent quality.

15. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

Actually what was attractive to me about the LA Gear pack was the price point. I decided to go ahead and get a Maxped Vulture II along with a RollyPoly Extreme Backpack. Planning a trip and the vulture II will stay behind in camp while the rollypoly sack will be my temp/day pack for the trip.

This stuff is too addictive.

16. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

Truth is most of us do cycle through bags and packs
    Most of us use different ones for different situations and needs we have at a given time, at least I do. My wife always gives me "the look" when we go to the store and catches me looking at packs and bags. I have a problem, ok?

Heck, we even bought an industrial sewing machine to make Our own stuff. :lolhammer:

17. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

Yeah I think we're all the same. Our wives giving us "the look." I can't help it either. At least sometimes she asks: "do you want to see the bags?"

Pending usage of the new setup I have coming in, I may have my satisfactory setup for a while.

18. tonkatoy9398

tonkatoy9398 Loaded Pockets

Ditto here, always looking for the perfect setup.

19. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

Just had to share my excitement. Pics coming soon.

Today I received one of my last bundles of EDC gear.

Maxpedition Vulture II
    Maxpedition M1
    Maxpedition Rolly Poly Extreme Backpack
    Some 550 paracord

I believe I am done, with the exception of a Pygmy Falcon II. I absolutely enjoy the Vulture II's design and looks. Just in time too since I'll be able to test it with a 2-day trip. Good stuff. Update later with pics. . .

20. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

Thanks to many of you here, the phase of looking for the perfect bag is almost complete. I came to realize that there is no such thing as the "perfect bag." But there is such thing as the perfect setup! Behold the tons of images of the Vulture II with RollyPoly and more attachment setup. This is what I am going to use for camping trips (RV camping) and 2 or more night stays. The MCAP is only on there just in case anyone wanted to see how it would look like. For now it stays but I may take it off.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The idea is that the bag will stay behind and its modularity allow me to detach its "modules" (pouches and such) for various situations. Note that this is not intended as a hiking setup, I suppose it could be used as such. In my case, its for vehicle traveling not designed for flights.

The main backpack is the Maxpedition Vulture II. An M1 pouch will carry camera, mini tripod, memory cards and even batteries. The volta battery back will hold, well batteries. MCAP is just there for show. Secondary most important piece of the setup is the RollyPoly Extreme Backpack, which will serve as a secondary-lightweight-half-day backpack. The back just has two pillows in there and this setup focuses on the outside of the bag not inside.

I have an upcoming RV trip with some buddies to Fontana for NASCAR. This will be the setup I'm taking. Leaving the big pack behind and taking the little pack for the track.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The RollyPoly Extreme Backpack will carry souvenirs, hats, a shirt, poncho in case it rains. It has good separation inside of the bag. You could put a water bladder as well inside, but I'm not going to be doing that. A water bladder full of beer! Just kidding.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The top of the bag does NOT have a zipper but is secured by the same flap that closes it in rolled mode with loop velcro. Not sure how much water would get inside if it started raining. I'm sure it would be fine though. In this image I packed it with only some sweat pants, a book and a netbook. You can see that it fits pretty well in there with plenty of room for more. There is a whistle on one of the straps. I chose to pay a little more and go with this pack because of the extra storage. By the looks of things this will work great. I also plan on attaching this to Pygmy Falcon II, which will serve as a future diaper/theme park bag. I also love the Khaki color, very nice.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Using grimlocks and the Vulture II's cinch straps I secured the M1 and other items for easy removal. Like I mentioned before this is not a hiking pack, if it were I probably would have gone with tacties. The cinch strap for the RollyPoly backpack was a bit more trouble some since I had to fight the compression to get the strap through, but it worked well.

That's it for this update, click on any image to view the rest via photobucket. More coming soon.