1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Project Benchmade Not So Loco

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Jessie Carter, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

Just purchased a Benchmade 808BK that was on sale at my local range. I really like the knife and following the advice of one of the guys behind the counter, I dismissed my concern about blade length. I live in a state with a 3.5" blade length limit for concealed knives and the Loco is 3.68" according to online stats. The guy behind the counter referenced what I have heard over the years in how police officers measure the blade length against the palm of their hands to determine whether or not you are in violation of the law. Not being the trusting sort, I would rather alter the length of this blade by filing off 0.19" of the tip and re-profiling the edge to comply with state law. I wouldn't consider doing this if the knife weren't such a perfect fit for my intended use. At any rate, have any of you modified a pocket knife to comply with state or local laws?

2. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Yep. I have a Spyderco Police Model with the blade tip ground down to comply with the 4" limit we used to have here. Too bad I can't put that steel back on now that the law has changed.

Jessie Carter likes this.
  3. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Yep, some of us knife owners in the UK modify lockers to slip joints basically so that we can EDC them. Our law states 'cutting edge' should be under 3" but it's unlikely that most cops actually know that or could be bothered to measure correctly so I aim from tip of blade to edge of scales.

4. Jessie Carter

Wish the limit was 4" here! Must be in Texas if the law changed to allow greater than a 4" blade.

5. Yablanowitz

Nope, Kansas. Thanks largely to Knife Rights we did away with all the stupid knife laws, and enacted preemption to keep local leaders from enacting their own stupidity. Nobody paid much attention to the law before, it just gave them an extra charge to stack on when they arrested you for something else, kind of like not having a Kansas Tax Stamp on your heroin stash.

6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Do you guys over the pond have 'mothers against knives' or 'save our children' types of groups? I just wondered how you managed to get knife laws relaxed if you have group such as those??

7. Yablanowitz

I've never seen any groups like that operating here. Heck, I live in a town where the largest employer is a beef packing plant. Hundreds of people here make a living with a knife every day, so people here don't generally freak out over a pocketknife. It may also help that there are more people in London proper than there are in the entire 80,000 square miles of Kansas. I truly believe there is a critical mass achieved when too many people live too close together, with the result that they lose their collective mind.

colin.p and HVACn00b like this.
  8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Yes, London is over crowded, just like most major cities I guess, there is also a drug and gangs problem in certain areas, that and poor parenting in the first place isn't helping to keep our youngsters on the straight and narrow shall we say.

9. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Apologies for going off topic, but a cops pocket notebook in the UK is 3 inches wide and you are told in training to use this as a measure for blades :)

earthman likes this.
  10. jbj

jbj Loaded Pockets

Here in CA we don't have a length limit. And, folding knives that are folded in your pocket are not considered concealed weapons.

11. TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY Loaded Pockets

In Florida as long as it isn't ballistic it is pretty much legal and don't carry over 4 inches.

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

OK, but are the cops given a definitive definition of 'ballistic' or is this subject to each cop's interpretation?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

13. TRUE LIBERTY

TRUE LIBERTY Loaded Pockets

Not sure about the cops but if you read it off of the Florida website it is very easy and straight forward to understand.

14. Jessie Carter

Looks like there is a Mini LOCO available now...so, I guess I won't be grinding .15' off my LOCO...

15. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

..............California? Just give it time, it'll happen. :eek:

16. jbj

jbj Loaded Pockets

I know what you mean, but it's settled penal code.

17. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Here in KY if you have a concealed carry permit you can legally carry a sword and ninja stars if you feel like it so I have no concerns about blade length. However I do work in Ohio where they don't enjoy the same freedoms that I do and most counties have their own length laws not just the state so you need to be aware of how those laws change from place to place. I'm also of the mind that if you don't start trouble you won't get any, and what you're doing when an officer decides to search you has 100% impact on whether they make a big deal about your knife.