1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Pro Trek experts: 2500 > 240?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by oranges, Feb 15, 2014.

1. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Hi. Want to buy a Pro Trek, and getting confused here. Interested in the titanium versions of the 240 and the 2500.. and the regular 2500.

I have been reading and it seems the major differences are the 2500 is atomic, has a 1 hour counter (not 24 like the 240), and moon and tide phases while the 240 has the sunrise/sunset data.

I don't need tide info, would love the sunrise/set data. I like the links on the 2500 while the short video I saw on the 240 doesn't seem as appealing.

Your opinions on these two watches are greatly appreciated.

I don't mind paying more for the 2500T, but if its not "better" than the 240, I won't.

Also, like the look of the plastic one, as this will be a super casual watch for me, but hate the concern of the strap failing. I hate nato straps, so its not a replacement option.

tl, dr. Opinions appreciated!

2. KnoxButler

KnoxButler Loaded Pockets

I was in the same position as you a while back, bouncing between the 2500 and 240. I eventually decided on the 2500. I think it comes down to which one you find more aesthetically pleasing and how important the atomic function is to you. For me, I was going for a solar watch because I wanted a watch I didn't have to mess with, I could pick it up at a moments notice and go without have to fuss with it. So for me I went with the 2500 with its atomic function. It is very nice to know its always charged and always on time.
    I cant help you much with the aesthetics part of your question as I decided early on to not go with the titanium version when I found out only the band and the bezel are titanium (bezel is titanium on all versions of the 2500, just painted a different color). The case body is the standard pro trek compound just painted to match the titanium. At least that was the way it was a year or so ago when I bought mine. For me that was a turn off. Not that plastic case isn't quality made, in fact it is, extremely durable and well made made, on par with titanium in my op. But for me I just didn't like the idea of a titanium band on a plastic case, just not for me.
    Hope I helped at least a little.

Here Comes The BOOM and oranges like this.
  3. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Thanks KnoxButler! That was PERFECT. I really appreciate it. I was curious about what exactly was titanium on the body of it, and that too is something that I was concerned about. Makes my inability to make a choice, that much easier. I think I am going to go 2500 based on the aesthetic, costing more (when in doubt..), and having less color on it than the 240. And go with the black model, since I really don't need a titanium band on a digital watch. Just hope the plastic band doesn't fail me. Casio would make this a lot easier for me if they just threw the dang sunrise/set function into the 2500. lol.

4. KnoxButler

I agree, I don't have any experience with the 240 (I'm sure its great) but even though my 2500 is one of my more expensive watches its my go-to rugged watch. Its gone everywhere with me water, dirt, you name it and it still keeps perfect time as well as I've never seen the battery indicator show anything other than high (even after keeping it in my watch box with no light for days).
    I too would give up the tide function in a heartbeat for a sunrise/sunset function. Also you should check out the 2500-1a, that's the model I got and if your looking for less color its definitely the way to go.
    As for the band, I took the resin band off as soon as I got it. I've never liked resin bands so I ordered a Maratac NATO band ahead of time when I ordered the watch. IMO this rugged of a watch needs an equally rugged band and the NATO is the industry standard in that department. The band has seen just as much abuse as the watch and is holding up just as nicely.

Here is a pic of my watch I took a while ago (keep in mind I really have put it through its paces)
    [​IMG]

Here Comes The BOOM likes this.
  5. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Thanks again! Hard getting convo on this subject, so I appreciate all your firsthand insight.
    And knowing the bezel is titanium is AWESOME. I was worried it was plastic like the old Tag Heuer Formula 1's. Your watch looks fantastic with all that character. Just the way it should be.
    The 1A, I ran into that one online, but don't see it on casio's site so got confused. Thought it was a limited run or something.
    Good to know its as tough as advertised too. I kept buying G Shocks but just never liked the aesthetics. No idea why it took so long to find the Pro Trek.
    I dislike Nato cause the way it stretches when wet.. and how it starts to stink like donkey turds.. well, on my wrist at least. lol.
    I hope the rubber straps that it comes with can be found readily online, cause for some reason I seem to go through them quick.

Thanks again!

6. KnoxButler

Thank you, I was upset when it got its first scratch but now I quite like the way it looks and wouldn't have it any other way.
    The A1 was a limited run but you can still pick them up if you look hard enough. I don't know if the A1 version was ever on there website, at least it wasn't when I was looking a year or so ago.
    I too never liked the look of G Shocks but I was fortunate enough to receive a pathfinder as a birthday gift when I was 15 years old. So ever sense I've gotten into watches I've loved the pro trek and pathfinder line.
    In my experience with NATO bands, mine always shrunk when wet, or at least they felt like they had shrunk? But I've never noticed a smell with any of my watches with NATO straps. Did you have authentic Maratac straps?

7. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love the worn look on your 2500, do you use a screen-protector on yours? I ordered a bunch for my 200 but I've never installed them so far, not sure why though (lazy perhaps..?).

The latest model of the Protrek range is the PRW-3000 if OP wants to have a look at it, but you can't just put Zulu or Maratec on it as easily as on some other models. I choose the PRG-200GB instead because I wanted an all black model without a resin strap myself, I'm starting to think I'm about the only person that doesn't find the Zulu type straps all that comfortable :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

8. KnoxButler

They make screen protectors?? I did not know that. My 2500 already has some scratches on the face, but I might have to order some. Thanks for alerting me to there existence.
    Does anyone know, if I were to send my watch to Casio some time in the future when the screen is all scratched up, if I was willing to pay for the replacement, service, etc. would Casio do the work? Or would I have to chance, taking it to someone else? (That is if the work is less than the watch is worth)

That green on your 200GB looks awesome!
    I've definitely worn more comfortable watch bands before. But for my hard use watch, its about strapping the watch to my wrist with something that can take as much as the watch can. With the NATO (or ZULU, I've read there just as good) I know that if my watch comes off my wrist, I have way bigger problems than my lost watch. Which for me is important when you have an expensive watch and are taking it into tougher environments like hiking, running, etc.
    Im not saying NATO or ZULU is the only way to go for a tough watch bands, but they sure do fit the bill.