1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Prague and the Czech Republic

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Rebel, May 11, 2016.

1. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

I have a job offer to move to Prague. Looks like a good place with a good spirit of freedom. However there seems to be a big problem with theft and pickpocketing etc. I don't know how far it goes or how bad it is but I have read a few disturbing accounts.

Can any of our Czech members or world travellers offer some perspective on:

• How do foreigners avoid becoming targets for badguys on trains, buses, and on the street etc.
    • How does the regular Czech guy carry his money and phone and other EDC stuff and manage to get it home without having it ripped off
    • Is it normal to carry a briefcase or messenger bag or does that immediately scream "Rob me I'm a tourist!" I will probably have to wear a jacket and tie for work and I don't know how common that is over there or what it means to most people. Some places certain kinds of clothes indicate certain kinds of people, right or wrong. Would like to understand how the (bad) man on the street sees it.
    I don't plan on hitting the tourists spots but will work in the city not the center though and would appreciate insights on daily life, dos and don'ts etc. I'm used to carrying a sidearm and never had any problems. Will be disarmed over there and not looking forward to that part.

These questions are not meant to be offensive. I don't believe the country is full of criminals but there is a recognized problem with these kinds of crimes and I am not used to dealing with that and don't really know how to approach living in a place where there are those kinds of issues.

Oh and how easy is it to get good midrange quality flashlights (4Sevens, Fenix etc.) and name brand knives (Spyderco, Benchmade) in CZ at fair prices? Is it safe to order through the mail and get your package by regular post office or will it disappeat in transit? How are Czech people getting their goodies safely when buying over the net?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum subsection. I haven't been on the board in a while so no offense and feel free to move this where it should go if necessary.

Thanks guys.

2. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Sorry that you didn't get any feedback on this.

Did you take the job? I will be in Prague myself in a few weeks and would welcome your experience.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Based on your forum name and your avatar, you're a Southern American like me. It is important that you avoid such overt references such as those. Blend in with the crowd to avoid immediate identification that you are American. Learn the language and the accent. Nothing stands out as being American as someone fumbling with the language and with a Southern American "drawl." You may deny that you have the "twang;" however, it will be instantly noticed.

• Stay within a crowd but not too close to anyone. They could be targeting you.
    • Keep your belongings close and not easily accessible.
    • Scan your environment every few minutes without making it obvious. Overt signs of that speak of nervousness & paranoia and would-be predators will spot that.
    • Learn some self-defense, but avoid using it unless in life and death situations. You NEED to consider whether it is worth using those techniques and end-up in jail or having your personal possessions liberated.
    • Lose the American attitude.

4. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

I didn't respond when I first read this but if I had it would have been along lines that travel to other lands is not for everyone. The Czech Republic is a European country. People there wear ties and probably carry briefcases on a daily basis. Believe it or not the vast majority of the world goes about their daily business with out carrying a firearm and don't fear for their lives.

Chad

5. Isla TX

Isla TX Loaded Pockets

Wow. Such a shame to Receive d bag replies. I thought for the most part this forum was made up of better people than what you usually currently encounter in this country. Happy Halloween!

6. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

How many of the 195 countries in the world have you visited, Chad?

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

How many "d bags" have you encountered?

8. Isla TX

Isla TX Loaded Pockets

Plenty.

shmook likes this.
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Mostly in this country?

10. Isla TX

Isla TX Loaded Pockets

The USA is where I live and yes, lots of douche when I step out my door. Can't say how different that is anywhere else but I'm sure it's not a whole lot different.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

To preserve your privacy, I'm not going to ask you exactly where you live. What is the closest city to where you live?

12. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

Been to Prague a number of times. Very nice city with very sympathetic people living there. Yes, there are pickpockets (like in every other major city in Europe), the biggest thieves are the money exchange booths (get your money at an ATM machine). Just use common sense. In other words: Don't be an easy target. You'll be fine.

I'm pretty sure you'll get your mailorder stuff there orderly. American stuff is somewhat more expensive in Europe (I had some stuff shipped in the past or relatives bring it from the states). Chinese is the same.

Mr. Martines likes this.
  13. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Rebel,
    Prague is a cosmopolitan European city. It has a large expat population.

Safe is the key word. Pickpockets are a reality of life in all major cities. Use common sense.

Suit or casual you will be fine. You probably could dress up as a hillbilly redneck all in cammo and a cowboy hat and be just fine. Not an issue.

As far as not being armed ..... well "what is wrong with you " ? If you want to CCW in the entire Czech republic
    and you are a legal resident then you can. Pass a test and a physical ( You can take it in English !) and you are set. Want a semi auto AK ? 30 round mags ? Not a problem . License will be issued.

Blades are not in any way regulated by law. Switch blade, katana, brass knuckles....all legal.

That being said ... aside from the habit I do not really see a reason why to CCW in Prague. (Brooklyn boy perspective here.)

The city has a clean efficient and safe transportation system. Violent crime that can be seen in some places stateside is non existent.

Drugs are available and cheap. Penalties for possession are almost non existent if it is for personal use.

Booze is everywhere. And cheap. The beer is excellent . Sadly Prague is a place where great many expats turned from casual drinkers into drunks. Culture and cost being the main culprits.

Sex is plentiful on both amateur and pro level. It might surprise you but Europe is different.

Health care is pretty good .

The weird and unpleasant thing that the Czechs do is take off their shoes when visiting someones house . They offer you disgusting slippers for visitors. It is a weird unsanitary custom . Imagine ten people in their socks sitting around a table and talking.......

My main source of intel is personal experience and an expat lawyer from Prague Mississippi born and bred..

Mr. Martines and mole like this.
  14. Daniel T

Daniel T Loaded Pockets

I'm a Brit, living in West Africa (Port Harcourt, Nigeria) and travelling the world regularly.

I was last in Prague 3 months ago.

You'll be fine. Its Europe.

Dan

mole likes this.
  15. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Brother in law works in Prague regularly. Knowing him he wouldn't have given your list much thought at all and he's never had an issue in 10 years. It's a major European city so pickpockets are to be expected but it's not Mogadishu.

mole likes this.
  16. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

I'll be there next week, staying cautious but not paranoid as always when I travel. Staying out of large crowds and dark alleys makes sense. Looking forward to some of their famous Pilsner beers....

17. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

In Prague for the weekend, weather is miserable today