1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Powerring's EDC

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by powerring, Sep 29, 2013.

1. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Here are a few more photos comparing the SOG Ninja and the 5.11 Rush 12:

Rush 12 - Front

[​IMG]

Ninja - Front

[​IMG]

Rush 12 - Organization

[​IMG]

Ninja - Organization

[​IMG]

Ninja and Rush 12 - Side by Side

[​IMG]

2. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I think what intrigued me about the Rush 12 style of packs is the organization. I like being able to quickly get to anything in a pack without having to fumble or wade in for it. In terms of tactical/military style packs I've owned, this has not been a strength on most of them.

I love the quality, build and carry of the Tactical Tailor Removable Operator pack but organization is weak. Likewise the Camelbak Mil-Hawg (the last revision, not the current one) is great but it doesn't have quite enough pockets or compartments for me. The Tactical Tailor Urban Operator is incredibly organized but a little big.

I usually hear raves about the Rush series though. I dipped my toe in the water with the cheaper but similar Ninja pack before getting a Rush. Frankly, I only bought the Rush because I got a killer deal on it and I was curious how they compared. :D

I should note that my use case for this pack is as a kind of "grab and go" bag that stays with the car (i.e. in case we break down in BFE and need to hoof it). Neither would be tested in the apocalypse. I'm more Hank Hill than Rick Grimes or Bear Grylls. ;)

3. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Sending out a little love for France today.... Restez forts, mes freres.

[​IMG]

Opinel Bricolage Knife No.9 Yellow

4. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

My most carried flashlights on person.

[​IMG]

I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes to flashlights. When it comes to lumens, I'm more PBR than obscure microbrew.

I mostly want something reasonably priced that lights up when I turn it on, doesn't waste energy, and doesn't die if I drop it. Over time, these have been the ones I've stuck with, in order of carry frequency.

#1 - Maglite Solitaire LED/Fenix E01

Are there better lights? Sure, but this little guy ticks most of the boxes for me. It's inexpensive ($15), USA made, bright enough at 37 lumens, runs a long time on a lithium AAA, light, classic form factor, simple one-mode, reliable and highly available. The Solitaire always lives in my coin pocket. Did I imprint on the old 2 lumen incan Solitaire as a kid? Probably. :giggle:

My Fenix E01 serves the same role and lasts f-o-r-e-v-e-r on a battery. It's not as bright (only 10 lumens) as the Solitaire LED though. It's main purpose is to reuse AAA's that don't work in anything else and is amazing in this regard.

#2 - Streamlight Microstream/Thrunite Ti

If I don't have a coin pocket available, I generally go with a light that has a clip. Traditionally, that has been the classic Streamlight Microstream. It's been very reliable for me and I like the simple end-cap switch.

More recently, I've supplemented it with a new ThruNite Ti (Christmas edition). The ThruNite has a 160 lumen mode which is impressive but battery draining.

#3 - Fenix E11/Maglite 2 AAA LED

These are generally my go to lights if I'm wearing a jacket or walking around the neighborhood at night.

Not pictured: A Photon Freedom which is always on my keyring.

The true flashlight-a-holics are probably shuddering right now. ;)

5. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

By the way, the big black thing in back of that picture is not another flashlight. It's an Amazon Echo.

It is by far one of the coolest toys I've ever owned. :D It's indescribably cool to tell it to "Tune In WTOP" and have it turn on the radio, ask "What's the weather?", or "Play Mozart" and have it just work. No buttons, no fuss. I love the fact that it will usually give you a spoken answer to a question, unlike Siri which often reverts to displaying info on a screen.

Star Trek is getting here very quickly folks. Warp factor 8, Mr. Sulu.

6. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

My mother has one of these and loves it.. I work in IT, but am strange as I don't like technology that listens to me (or for me) all the time.. :) It is always fun to see how much we have fulfilled from the Star Trek universe though!!

QuodErat, scbubba, keith1234 and 4 others like this.
  7. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Alright.. tell me true.. how bad :censored: is the knife? I want one, but something about the plastic handle is holding me back.. sell me on it!! :cool:

Tony Sal, sliverhawk, scbubba and 4 others like this.
  8. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

It certainly has the potential for being ultra creepy and with this kind of thing you can probably assume that everything you say ends up in the NSA Utah data center at some point. It has an off button for the microphone but who can say whether it really works? ;)

The technology is becoming more endemic too. With some Android phones (or a desktop PC with a webcam/mic and Chrome running)," OK Google" is just a phrase away. Same potentially with "Hey Siri" on iOS 8.

Not only is Star Trek here but Orwell's 1984 is too, potentially. Those "infinity microphones" you used to read about in 2600 Magazine just got way easier.

I'd be more concerned if the noise to signal ratio in our house didn't approach infinity. With three screaming boys, I can barely make out what's going on.

QuodErat, Lou_G, scbubba and 2 others like this.
  9. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

It's an Opinel so it's very traditional and workman-like. It doesn't feel like an expensive knife but, then again, it isn't. I'd compare it to a Mora. You're not going to leave it to the kids as an heirloom but I bet they'll appreciate it nonetheless for its utility, function and value.

What you lose in the beauty of the usual wooden handle you gain in deployment. The Opinel wooden handles have a nasty habit of absorbing water in humid environments and thus swelling and tightening on the blade. This one doesn't. It's a handy screwdriver too.

This has become the knife I just leave out on the dresser to do most anything with.

10. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Happy Easter to you all! I hope it is as beautiful where you are as it is here today. :)

Here's my new Buck Apex 818 in carbon fiber. It's very light at 1.7 oz. and quite thin. It reminds me of a tiny Skeletool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I also picked up a new Fenix E05. This version has 3 modes (85/25/8 lumens) where my older version only had one. I like this one better since it covers a nice range of illumination needs.

[​IMG]

Here it is next to a Mag Solitaire LED AAA.

[​IMG]

12. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I found some of these Picaridin wipes at REI. I don't react well to DEET and I don't like the fact that it melts some plastics (but I really hate ticks) so I've switched over to Picaridin for the most part. These seemed to be a convenient way to carry it in packs where I don't use it as often.

[​IMG]

Tony Sal, Lou_G, T.H.Cone and 3 others like this.
  13. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Did anyone know these were a thing? It's the first time I've ever seen them. :confused:

[​IMG]

14. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Has it really been this long since I've posted? By the way the pork rinds (see above) don't sit too well. :confused:

We had some shake ups at work about the time I dropped off the radar last year. It resulted in a promotion but a pretty dramatic drop in my free time. Simultaneously, I've become increasingly settled in terms of my EDC choices. Some might say boring. :giggle:

I'm still carrying the same pack, lights, multis and other doodads in my pockets as last year for the most part. I think there was a long period for me of "playing the field" with different gear until I got to a point where I could simply look at an item and tell whether it was a useful addition to my carry.

Most days my pocket gear is as follows:

Multitool: Leatherman Wingman

Out of all my multis, including the Spirit, charge, wave, PPP, MP400, Xtract, Rebar, Skeletool, etc., the humble Wingman is the one that finds its way in my pockets most. It has the best clip around, is light, compact, smooth, has just the tools I need, and the most positive action and access of any Leatherman I have.

Flashlight: Mag Solitaire LED and an LRI Photon Freedom

As I explained early in the thread, it's inexpensive ($15), USA made, bright enough at 37 lumens, runs a long time on a lithium AAA, lightweight, has a classic form factor, simple one-mode, reliable and highly available. The Solitaire always lives in my coin pocket. Did I imprint on the old 2 lumen incan Solitaire as a kid? Probably.

The Photon lives on my keys. What can you say about a Photon? Press the button and it lights up every time. No weight penalty at all.

Knife: Buck Vantage Pro (small) in S30V

If I carry a full sized knife at all, in lieu of a multi, it's usually this one.
    • the size, thickness and weight are ideal for me (pretty light at 2.3 oz., 2 5/8" blade, 3 3/4" overall)
    • choice of oval thumbhole or flipper deployment, both of which are very nice
    • blade shape and grind are great, kind of like a little Sebenza
    • fantastic ergos
    • the deep carry clip is perfect - better than any knife I own
    • made in the USA
    • value - from $20 to $65 depending on materials
    • Dad carried a Buck so I like to as well
    • great quality (I know others have had issues but I've got 8 or so Vantages across the lineup and had minor centering issues on only one)
    Depending on my mood, it might be one of these:
    • Spyderco Dragonfly 2 in H1 (if I'm getting wet)
    • Victorinox Cadet (if I'm feeling a little more formal)
    • Benchmade Mini Griptilian
    • Kershaw Skyline
    My latest knife to earn its way into the permanent rotation is an A.G. Russell Featherlight GP. It's one of the biggest, best knives I've found for 1.5 oz. of carry weight. I should mention the Vic Rambler that always lives on my keyring too.

Lighter: BIC Mini Clic Electronic

Cheap, light, always works but rarely use. 'Nuff said.

Pack: Tom Bihn Synapse 19

Four years later and I carry this pack most every day. It has superb design, capacity, comfort, materials, organization and construction. I also appreciate the fact that it's made in the USA. At 19L, it's an ideal size for EDC for me.

Phone: iPhone 6s

Watch: Casio G-shock Mudman G9000

Tough as hell. I have lots of other watches but I wear this as much as I can get away with.

Pen: Fisher Space Pen

Classic. Just works.

I hope all of you have been well in the interim and that you find that "comfy old shirt" feeling with your EDC. :)

15. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

[qFL Woods Bum, post: 2151214, member: 53076"]Alright.. tell me true.. how bad :censored: is the knife? I want one, but something about the plastic handle is holding me back.. sell me on it!! :cool:[/quote]
    I prefer the wood traditional- #6 @ size of a SAK, like my #8 too!

Antithetik and powerring like this.
  16. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

You and I have similar taste! Nice load out. Whenever a "I have an Amazon gift certificate" thread shows up, I usually reccomend a Streamlight, an OPINEL, a SAK, and you have all those bases covered. I have been eyeing the Bricolage but haven't yet pulled the trigger.

Antithetik, Tony Sal and powerring like this.
  17. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I prefer the wood traditional- #6 @ size of a SAK, like my #8 too![/quote]

It's true, the plastic lacks the classic beauty and feel of the wood Opinels. It's nice to have the embedded screwdriver though!

Sriracha and Antithetik like this.
  18. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I forgot to include the Microstream in my last post. When I need a clip light (when I don't have a coin pocket available) it's my favorite. Its brighter brother, the Streamlight Protac AAA is great too.

Sriracha and Antithetik like this.
  19. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Since i see similarities in out gear, maybe i could share my latest purchase that i actually use daily? (There is a few knives and gadgets that i have bought since, but they just sit in a drawer at this point). I have bought a few nitecore Tube key lights. They are brighter than the microstream, but with less run time and no reflector... But rechargeable batteries and variable brightness! I turned a bunch of guys on to the Microstream at work, they LOVE the hatclip!

Staying tuned...

20. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Hew powerring! I must admit it took me a while to realize you'd been gone so long... Something came u in a thread a while back and I thought "hey, where's powerring, he did that once" (nope, not sure now what it was about.. lol) Anyway, Welcome Back!

You've reminded me too, I need to get another WIngman. It was my most carried and most used tool for a couple years till I lost it last spring. Great tool, it also beat out the Spirit, Wave, Rebar, and even all of my customized/custom built super Waves... I miss it, will have to grab another one soon.

So... the electronic Bics... I just recently, accidentally, found out about those, apparently they've been around for years and I'd just never seen one. Is it still a "soft flame" like a regular Bic? or is it a harder torch type flame? I'm curious to get and try one, since I believe I could push the button with gloves on in the cold, something you(I anyway) can't do with the flint wheel..

Tony Sal, powerring and Antithetik like this.