1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Power Tool choice

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Sentinel-14, Jan 26, 2022.

?

Which brand did you go with?

1. Dewalt

35.3%
  2. Milwaukee

5.9%
  3. Ryobi

29.4%
  4. Craftsman

5.9%
  5. Makita

11.8%
  6. other (please specify)

11.8%
  1. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

While wholly unrelated to the theme of EDC (thus why we're in the Breakroom), in the spirit of discussion what is your power tool brand of choice?

For years I only used corded tools because the few battery-powered ones I had never had charge when I needed them, and few things are more infuriating than having a project put on hold because the tool has to charge. However, there had been enough occasions where cordless tools would have been a lot more convenient. I was finally pushed over the edge to buy some when Lithium became the default power source, as it holds charge for far longer than any NiCad or NiMH battery I ever used.

In the end, I went with DeWalt due to their long-term support for their products. My father has an older 18V NiCad drill and even after 15 years is still able to get brand-new DeWalt batteries for it. DeWalt even makes an adapter for it to use their modern 20V lithium batteries. I figured if they support products for that long, then by the time I cant get batteries for what I have there will be far newer, better tools on the market.

So what's your power tool brand of choice?

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well I dont use just one.
    I wish that I could but there is no one brand that offers everything that I need or want or at least there wasnt back when I went down the Lithium Battery path years ago so I am into 3 different systems really overall.

-Milwaukee is the main system that I use both,18 and 12volt too.
    I run 3 vehicles for work and have full tool loadouts in each one but with some overlap and variable placement for different uses.
    These have been reliable aside from the first smallest M12 batteries which were terrible and just croaked way before I was ready for them to but with 4 or 6ah batteries in them the M12 stuff is powerful enough for a lot of tasks while being light and compact mostly too.

-Dewalt is another that I am invested in and mainly for the incredible compact stature of the battery chargers and compact drills too! I am on the road out of town working a lot and when I need to travel as compact as possible Dewalt gets that job usually. I dont know why the total system size is not on the design list for anyone else but the Yellow stuff can be crammed into a bag and take a lot less room than the others and while traveling that matters big time!
    I also have the Dewalt 4.2V Gyro Screwdriver in each kit and literally can not live without them at this point and I recently got the Yellow portable Inflator which is another amazing tool and one really unlike any of the competition overall either?

-Makita,then there is the company that started it all really and still arguably the best tools and batteries of any of them!
    They are just better I think in 18v class though not as widely available I have snagged several sets crazy cheap after the Holidays each year and they are big,heavy and crazy powerful and again there are some tools in the line that are not available in others so.....

-And I almost forgot but I have a pretty big Bosch 12v set too at home in the shop and they have been bulletproof as possible for me too.

I think I pretty much love all the tools,even the ones I dont even like!

Except from Harbor Fright of course.

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  3. rdisom

rdisom Loaded Pockets

I have used many brands. We stick with Dewalt at the shop, and Makita as well. For my home use, Ryobi has been great. Mainly because the batteries for the 18 volt fit darn near every Ryobi 18 volt ever made. Even the old turquoise ones. It started with fans with mister nozzles for my sons baseball team. Then my drill took a dump, and found out the Arctic batteries for the fans were actually the same as Ryobi. So I picked up a Ryobi drill, weedeater, blower, impact driver, inflator hybrid fans, work lights, ratchet, etc. etc...

They will not run side by side with the big dogs, but I already had a head start with batteries. It just seems like every other brand I have tried keeps switching battery types/voltages every few years. We have been through 3 battery types with Dewalt in the last few years. 18 volt post type, 18 volt slide-in, now on the 20 volt slide-in. It sucks to have to replace the tools as the batteries change.

Craftsman was the same. I had many of the 19.2 volt C3 tools. They led me to believe they would continue using that C3 system. Until I needed a battery for my drill...

I have not had a Ryobi tool fail. Yet. Home use only.

Sewersnoid, DCBman and Sentinel-14 like this.
  4. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

This is what I was talking about with my father's drill. it's the 18V NiCad post-type., model DC907K, I think. You can still get brand-new batteries from DeWalt: product number DC9096. And they make the DCA1820 adapter so you can run newer lithium 20V slide-ins with the older tool. Seemed like great customer support to not only continue supporting legacy tools, but also providing a means to step up to newer power sources too.

I hear you on the 19.2V C3 Craftsman batteries though. My brother's got one of those drills and the battery's shot. Replacements are available but they're of questionable quality.

5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Completely agree. I haven't had a Ryobi on me yet either. I switched recently from Dewalt primarily because of the battery issue (long story), but for home use the Ryobi works just fine. I'd even put some of them up against the big boys for limited commercial use also. And the price differential between Ryobi and the others is not really something you can overlook...it's HUGE!

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  6. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

@Sentinel-14 - I don't really have a strong preference for a particular brand. All of them have pros and cons. I think cordless tools in general have been a very welcome and huge step forward for many trades out there! So, in this respect I pretty much love them all. There is definitely something to be said for standardizing on one brand due to the battery compatibility issues, but that really all boils down to corporate and personal choices based on what you have the most of.

I even bought a cordless tool from Harbor Freight one time (totally against my better judgement) because it was just so inexpensive I had to see if it would even work at all. Of all tools, it's an impact driver / wrench which I use for removing lugnuts on my trucks, trailers and vehicles. I needed something in a pinch because all my impacts were air driven, and I had a vehicle stranded where I couldn't get an air compressor, so I bought this thing on a whim. Not only did this thing work, it's been absolutely bulletproof ever since. It goes for months on a single charge. I've changed all 4 wheels and tires on my truck (32 lug nuts off, and 32 back on again) and this thing was still showing a full charge! (no kidding either!). Now, I probably wouldn't advocate replacing all my cordless tools with HF tools (by any stretch), but the one tool I bought was pretty unbelievable.

When I first read the subject line to this thread I thought it was going to be about specific tools, and not brands, so I was prepared to share what I believe to be the handiest cordless tool ever invented. Up until recently I would have said the best cordless tool was a tie between a sawzall and a circular saw, but not anymore. About a year ago I bought one of those variable speed "Multi-tools" (not to be confused with a LM type tool). It's like a cross between a dremel tool and a saber saw; I call it a dremel on steroids. That thing is by far one of the handiest tools you could ever own! I've gotten out of more jams with one of those than I can count. I think you'll probably recognize it (if I can find a picture of one)...

[​IMG]

Sorry for the huge pic, but it was all I could find quickly.

Sentinel-14 and Nick4305 like this.
  7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

These are actually Oscillating Sanders by definition and I agree I do not know how we lived without them so long?

Also like most other tools I have a few of the Fein Corded versions as they have been around for a long time but then in the last year I needed a Cordless version and I am stunned every time I use that one how much power and flexibility it has onboard!

And not for nothing I think it is worth mentioning that all of these cordless tools just use battery packs with different quantities of the 18650 and now 21700 batteries we have all been carrying for years already to run big flashlights and Laptop Computers!

Most that I have opened up have Samsung or Panasonic cells in there!

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

@EZDog - A little off-topic, but related. If I'm not mistaken, Samsung and Panasonic are the only two 'true' manufacturers of the 18650 batteries. All of the hundreds of others are just re-branded Samsung and Panasonic batts in different wrappers.

And interestingly, the term "wrapper" (above) is actually an interesting subject when you research these batteries. Depending on how that 'wrapper' is applied has a big effect on the safety aspects of the batteries. I didn't know this, but 18650 batteries don't have an insulated section between the positive and negative polls on the battery. If that 'wrapper' is not applied correctly the batteries can much more easily short-out and start a fire (like in a pocket, or pack, etc., unless they are in a special carrier). In a power tool this isn't an issue really, but as separate batteries it can be a big issue! As you probably know, LiON batteries will get extremely hot, rupture and catch fire if they are discharged too quickly, and shorting one of these batteries out is the fastest way to discharge one too quickly.

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  9. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

For cordless stuff, it's all Milwaukee M18 for me.

My kid sells Hilti tools. Their stuff is amazing. So is the price.

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  10. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

When I retired, I had a few Craftsman 19.2 v tools. Factory batteries were shot, but the after market stuff was double the Amps. I switched then to Lithium and picked up a few tools like 1/2" hammer, 3/8" angle drill (contractor thought that had the heaviest motor he ever encountered. If I gave these up, I would probably go Ryobi for home use.

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  11. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I'm in the dewalt camp. I got in it mainly because at the time my employer would send off dewalt stuff and get it fixed for free. Don't know why he only done it for the one brand but everybody at the company ran dewalt except on guy and he ran milwaukee.

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  12. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

My tool experience consists mostly of helping friends work on their personal/professional projects. Makita and Milwaukee seem to be what pop up most places, but I've also seen a few people that had good experience with Kobalt. If I recall rightly, Craftsman, Stanley, Porter Cable, and Dewalt are all part of Stanley black and decker.

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  13. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I definitely like the DeWalt and Milwaukee brands (also). They're just expensive for non-commercial use.

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  14. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I did a search for 19.2 v Impact drivers, a few came back with offers. $70 will get me a drill and battery. $115 will get a drill, full size charger, and battery. or $115 will get a drill, charger and Radio. Oh, I want that Radio also.

15. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

That set of Drill, charger and Radio, he dropped to $99.00 for me. got it.

16. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

Resently switched all of my power tools over to rigid branded tools. Needed to replace all of my DeWalt batteries and found it to be cheaper to buy new rigid sets on sale.

ran23 likes this.
  17. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I use DeWalt and Makita at home. There are lots of bare tools available and the batteries can be easily replaced.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

18. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

This Craftsman set is almost all new looking. The Factory charger even does my 6 amp lithium battery. Radio is brand new looking, AM/FM/Weather. I was looking for one of these a few months ago. The 1/4" Impact is the last of these tools I wanted. Retired with fun tools.