1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Power Strip with Wired Remote Switch

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by bquinlan, Jul 25, 2012.

1. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I have been looking for something that seems obvious to me, but I'm having trouble finding what I want. Can anyone point me to some power strips that have a wired remote switch? I would prefer one that supports three-prong connectors. I have only been able to find one and it uses two-prong connectors.

I am looking for a simple way to hook up all of my charging bricks so that I can turn them off when the devices they connect to are not present. Since my goal is to save power I do not want auto-sensing devices or wireless remote controlled devices, both of which draw power even when inactive.

Surely there must be a few of this elusive breed out there. Can anyone give me some links?

--Bob Q

2. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

You talking about a plug strip with a switch included on it?

3. Leemann

Leemann Loaded Pockets

A power strip surge protected with a on/off switch seperate from the strip can be done, Never seen a comercial one though.

Lee

4. Froggy

Froggy Loaded Pockets

5. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Looks like Froggy is headed in the right direction. Here is the one with the wired remote. BTW, since these appear to be relay operated, they may (even the wired version) still use a tiny bit of power even when off and extra power to keep the relay closed when on. :devil:

I was thinking it might be easier to find the switch separately and use any power strip you have handy.

Harbor Freight has some foot pedal switches, momentary and latching.

The point has been made that many power strips have a switch built into them. I presume either yours doesn't or it's not accessible.

Barring all of that, this would be a pretty simple build for any electrician. Perhaps not pretty but functional, reliable and zero nominal consumption.

6. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

I have this one. I got it at K-Mart on clearance for, believe it or not, $4.75. Sadly I don't use the remote shut off....lol. It's a very nice surge protector for the money.

7. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Maybe it will help if I try to explain what I'm trying to accomplish. I want a power strip I can put under my bed or sofa with a switch that I can put on my nightstand or end table. And I want the whole thing to draw no power at all when it's switched off.

It looks like my best bet may be to buy something like this and use it in combination with a power bar. If I could find a switch like that with three-wires instead of two I think I'd be happy.

As it stands, I may just have to wire up my own. It just surprises me that no one makes what I want. It seems like the simplest way to deal with "vampire" power adapters.

--Bob Q

8. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

So do you have a lamp that might be on while you want the other electrical devices powered on? Because I have some surge protectors that use the activation of an plugged device as the switch. I use lamps to control some, my TV to control another and my PC to control the the third one.

They're fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Protector-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B0006PUDQK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343352712&sr=1-1&keywords=smart+power+strip

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-SCG4-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B000L9A7ZS/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343352712&sr=1-6&keywords=smart+power+strip

9. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Holidays they sell them for Chirstmas lights and trees.

10. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

The answer to yer needs: Carlon HW2190T.
    http://www.amazon.com/HW2190-Heavy-Duty-Remote-Control/dp/B000BQRHMM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343355841&sr=8-1&keywords=hw2190

I own two.
    The remote is wireless, but runs on 1 small battery that lasts for ages....mine are over 3 yrs. old; both still using the original (included) batteries.Both get regular use; they are screwed onto the back of an entertainment center....which is way too much trouble to move in/out.

The remote is half the size of a candy bar; has two raised buttons for ON & OFF, and it controls ONE 110V three-prong 15A outlet.
    The remotes are easily code-switchable, using a small screwdriver.

Plug your outlet strip / surge protector into the outlet, and you're set.

kd7dvd likes this.
  11. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

Thank you, but I'm afraid not. What I am trying to accomplish with this is to reduce the power usage to zero when the strip is switched off. Any arrangement that involves a wireless remote has to draw current to monitor the remote.

--Bob Q

12. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

That does sound like what I'm looking for. I'll see if I can find one of those online even though it is the off-season.

Thanks!

--Bob Q

13. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I did see them in Home Depot around the Holidays, maybe their web site? good luck

14. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I use the remote relays like that for some decorative inside lights cause I'm too lazy to go around and plug them all in.