1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Power Bank?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by DCBman, Mar 10, 2016.

1. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

Are there any power banks that are small or thin enough to fit into an Altoids tin?

2. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

Definitely. I've got a couple - but they won't supply a fast (or even a full) charge for a modern smartphone. Emergency backup only.

Having said that they were both cheap and a few years old, I don't know if anyone is making fancy new ones?

[​IMG]

FiaOlleDog and lawmanhdg like this.
  3. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

Are they thin?

4. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

Thinner than the Altoids tin, yes, but only just. You wouldn't fit many Altoids in there with either of them :p

5. lawmanhdg

lawmanhdg Loaded Pockets

Haha, my Altoids tin is stuffed with first aid gear just wanted a small/thin power bank, too

6. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

You may find some if you search for "credit card size power banks" - please be aware that they have only a small charge and may not be of the same quality like the regular ones from brand names - simply as the smaller form factor asks the manufacturer to use custom-made size LiIon (or similar) battery inside, which may not be comparable with the millions of standard 18650 batteries produced. YMMV, of course.

P.S.: I had such a just a little larger than a CC power bank from Amazon Basic, which was recalled after a year or so as it may overheat and start burning. I was skeptical before, but now I wouldn't buy a powerbank that is not from a brand name and uses standard cells (18650, 26650, etc.).

echo victor likes this.
  7. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

FINALLY purchased an Anker 26800 as my iPad Mini 4 is getting elderly and tries to tell me it isn't charged. And it hates the cold. And I need it to process client payments. Very pleased with with the power bank, though it is HEFTY. Charges the iPad quickly, but definitely need to get a 2-usb wall plug to charge it. Using one takes soooo long.

8. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

I gave up on flashlights with power bank capabilities. I just carry a small USB light and an anker now.

9. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

You brought up the one design flaw of almost all Anker power banks. I really dislike that they are so smooth. It's like they are designed to slip out of your hands.

10. Michael L

Michael L Empty Pockets

IKR? I have the circa 20k MAH. It bounces between 20 quid and thirty like crazy! (I check because I occasionally buy them for friends that keep bitching about running out of juice.)

11. Michael L

Michael L Empty Pockets

You can mod that easily, though. Gorilla glue and scrim are great for that sort of thing.

12. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Yes, I've put grip tape on it myself, but customers shouldn't have to do that.

13. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

This is what I have been using recently. Got it as a Bday gift, solar charging and it has a built in wireless charger so that one extra thing to not have to worry about.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nolaradio likes this.
  14. nolaradio

nolaradio Loaded Pockets

Last edited by nolaradio, May 23, 2019
    #94 nolaradio, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  15. HappyGilmore

HappyGilmore Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Have this and really just love it (Mecarmy MOT10). The ability to charge a few 18650 batteries at home then swap them in when the flashlight is drained is quite awesome. It only discharges about 80% of the batteries capacity but that is quite good if you just need a top off. For me it Charges my One +6T to 70% from zero (4000maH battery), and it doubles as a 1000 lumen flashlight.

Cheers,
    H.G.

16. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

OT: It wasn't until I joined this forum that I noticed the fascination with altoids tins. Just an observation.

17. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I have a 32.000mAh Powerbank with solar capacity that I mostly use on vacation.
    That's not the one I EDC. It's too big, too bulky and too heavy.
    IMO there are two scenarios for a powerbank:
    1). You're planing on doing something where it is highly likely that you will need it (sleeping outdoors while bringing a mobile phone that has a battery life of less than one day)
    2). You're not planing on doing a 1) scenario. It's not super likely that you need to charge something with no charger/power at hand. But it might.
    You'll never know. I bring a 10.000mAh bank for that. I chose it for two criteria: 1. It's light and small. 2. It's cheap and can easily be replaced when I drop it into the lake. 10k is enough juice to charge my mobile and my flashlight and have some to spare.

Moshe ben David likes this.