1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Power Bank?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by DCBman, Mar 10, 2016.

1. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Maybe this web article provides some "de-coding" of Ankers product names?
    https://www.powerbankguide.com/anker-powercore-vs-powercore_plus_select/

You can charge an USB powerbank by almost any USB charger - also it is strongly advised to have a charger that can deliver the maximum Amperes the USB powerbank can take as input - most can "eat" 2A or 2.4A. If you use a smaller charger that can only delivery 1A or even 0.5A it does not only take (much) longer to charge the powerbank, but also the electrical and thermal stress on the smaller charger can cause its earlier "death".

Edit: @kikaida correctly added re QuickCharge (2.0 or 3.0) which I forgot to mention. If the smartphone/tablet can take QuickCharge (higher voltage + ampere) so should your powerbank provide and the charger as well.

As described above: besides the powerbank and the charger the USB cable is important too! Either use the cable that came with the powerbank and use it (as most times recommended by the manufacturer) and/or use other high-quality cables - and (!) verify that the voltage (most times between 4.7 and 5.4 Volt) and the Amperes are up to what the powerbank can take; an USB powermeter is your best friend (and helped me to identify cables that work in specific scenarios like charging my smartphone via my laptops USB port with 1.2A (max) while other cables do only 0.5A, which do 2A when used with a wall charger - very confusing and non-consistent, IMHO).

Depending on your environments, a hard case may be a good idea to protect the powerbank from dust, water and (some) drops. If you can afford it, go for it for transport (not sure if this is always a good thing depending on temperatures, etc.). Others may share their experiences with those boxes.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Dec 11, 2018
    #61 FiaOlleDog, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Swan likes this.
  2. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Anker is a very good product. I have three and they are always ready an reliable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

It depends on what kind of phone you have. If you have an apple, then you can just buy the regular anker powerbank. Now, if you have an android phone with the snapdragon processors, then these phone have the Quick Charge 2.0 or Quick Charge 3.0 technology that enables very, very fast charging. Then you should buy the Anker powerbank that has Quick Charge technology. Keep in mind, Anker isn't the only company that manufacture's power banks with Quick Charge capability.

Personally, because we always have Samsung Galaxy phones, I won't buy a power bank unless it has Quick Charge.

Swan and FiaOlleDog like this.
  4. Swan

Swan Loaded Pockets

Thanks @FiaOlleDog and @kikaida :)

Using your suggestions and information I've opted for the Anker Powercore ll 10000 Power Bank, the Anker Fast Wall Charger Powerport+ 1 and the Anker hard case.

Your help and advice is much appreciated. :)

kikaida and FiaOlleDog like this.
  5. FiaOlleDog

My pleasure, @Swan.

Would be great to hear from you after you received & used the powerbank/wall charger combo for a while.

Please remember that powerbanks may need some full/empty cycles to get "trained" (reach full capacity) - at least that's how the (old NiCd/NiMh) saga goes :cool:

6. Swan

Swan Loaded Pockets

7. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

All of my charging products are Anker, as are all of my plug and cables. I have the fast charger and it is amazing.

Ross2187 and Swan like this.
  8. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Suggestions for a powerbank to fully charge a Samsung A5 phone and Tab A 8" tablet? Not sure on what size to get.

Anker seems to be the brand of choice.

9. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

My PowerCore+ (26800) charges my Samsung tablets quite well.

kikaida and Outbound like this.
  10. FiaOlleDog

It happend that Santa had an Anker PowerCore 10000mAh on his list for me ... very nice format (kind of handy :giggle: ), seems to be built with 3 x 16550 batteries inside, can be charged and provides 2A of power - which means short(er) time to charge the device and the power bank itself.

Compared to the Anker 5000mAh it's double the power capacity for 1.5 the weight :cool:

kikaida likes this.
  11. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Great, thanks!

12. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Okay, so we're flying to the Philippines next month so the wife can visit her very ill sister, and I wanted a new powerbank to bring, and leave my old powerbank with her family. My requirements are that it is at least Quickcharge 3.0 capable at a minimum, since my current powerbank already has QC 3.0. Ordered the Anker Powercore Speed 20000 Quickcharge 3.0, along with another Anker Powerport 2 Quickcharge 3.0 wall charger. I like it has the QC 3.0 INPUT as well as output so that it can be re-charged faster.

Last edited by kikaida, Jan 20, 2019
    #72 kikaida, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    FiaOlleDog likes this.
  13. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Just thought I’d share my favorite powerbanks...

Right now, the latest and best power banks are those that are USB C with Power Delivery (PD). This is a bit of an understated tech that is really useful. First it means the Powerbank has a USB type C socket rather than micro USB. This means the power bank can be charged through this socket and it will charge other devices through the same socket (I.e. no wasted socket that you can’t use for charging stuff with. That’s a bit handy but it’s not the clever bit. Because this socket has PD and USB C it’s no longer limited to 5V but can charge other kit (also PD compatible) at higher voltage. Kit dependent, that can be up to 20V and 40W. End result, these powerbanks charge fast and can charge other kit much faster. Indeed, the two I have will happily charge USB C laptops, tablets and phones. So they become a very capable bit of kit, Oh, they also sport 2.4 A 5V USB A sockets too.

I have two:
    - An Anker Power Core Speed 20000 PD (yes those names. Make sure it’s the PD version)
    - VogDUO Power Go 10000

Anker seemed to get into this early and I’ve had this one for at least 18 months. It’s been my go to travel power bank as I use it for laptop, camera battery charging and much more when away and off grid. Often I charge it while out and use it in the evenings to charge up devices used in the day. Enough capacity for my MacBook 12” full charge. It’s neat and doesn’t weight too much (369g) when traveling.

The VogDUO was a bit of a unexpected acquisition but has also proved handy. It’s half the capacity of the Anker (despite claiming it was the most powerful PD powerbank on Kickstarter!). Equally flexible otherwise and at 233g is a bit lighter. Due to the 2/3 weight, This now is in my work bag everyday for times when the power leads won’t reach a socket. But it’s not as good for hard traveling.

Both really useful and I won’t buy another non PD power bank, the recharge speed and flexibility is so handy.

Make sure you have a PD charger to feed them too. Most USB C socket output mains chargers seem to be so. My Apple MacBook charger is and Anker make a nice one. The real trick one is the new Mu One. Super thin, light multi plug travel charger designed for us brits ‘cos it has a clever folding UK plug (US and Euro plugs too); clever Gallium Arsenide chip set means it’s super efficeient and therefore runs cool. VogDUO also make a nice slim car 12V charger that’s PD too. ).

With one power bank one PD charger a couple of cables it’s hard to find yourself out of power these days in almost any situation. (Yeah, I do carry one additional small ‘normal’ Mu 2.4V charger. That will also power everything I travel with albeit somewhat slower. And one of the. VogDUO car chargers as they are so light.)

The USB power standards have proved to be really good for travelers. I only travel with USB powerable kit (including toothbrush and torches, cameras and AA powered kit) these days and that cuts down a lot on weight and clutter.

14. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

I must be too old or too stupid, because that article just confused the hell out of me!

Let's say I wanted to stick with Anker, and get the best, most future-proof charger (bearing in mind I may change my phone next year, and get more USB compatible devices etc, so there's no point buying it to match my current phone) - whcih should I get?

15. FiaOlleDog

@Brewer I don't think it's because of our age or IQ (which is for sure higher than average as we are aware of concepts like EDC and contributing here on EDCF :cool: ), this simply task "charge a phone" was once simple using any USB port (ignoring the evolution from USB A to USB mini to USB micro and recently to USB C) and you were ready within a few hours.

We as users/consumers are a hectic kind of species and so market demanded quicker charge times - which led to the "innovation" of different standards, which eventually compiled down into QuickCharge 1.0-4 and recently USB-C PD.

Long story short, above article has been recently updated, and basically recommends two Anker power bank (types):
    • for (newer) iPhones: Anker PowerCore 10000 PD
    • for Android and older iPhones: Anker PowerCore II
    At least that's what I extracted from this article - maybe I misread, so please anyone feel free to comment/feedback.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Mar 1, 2019
    #75 FiaOlleDog, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  16. Brewer

Brewer Loaded Pockets

Thanks fiaolledog, so are you saying that 'PD' is essentially a new kind of standard - like Quick Charge 3 was?

17. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets

New laptops also use USB-C PD, so with a proper power bank it is possible to charge pretty much everything. Phones, tablets, cameras and laptops.

But now that I think of it, are those standards backwards compatible? (not that it really concerns me, I have iPhones...)
    Few of my coworkers have different Huawei phones, if I remember correctly they don't work with quick charge devices either but need some huawei specific charger. This came up last week when one of them bought a car charger (QC 3) that did not provide quick charge afterall.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  18. HappyGilmore

HappyGilmore Loaded Pockets

Although it doesn't have a super huge capacity...I use the MecArmy MOT10 flashlight which doubles as a power bank.

1000 lumens, IPX8 waterproof, and just a great flashlight. But It fills my 1+ 6T to about 60% from near zero with one 18650 battery. The best part is that you can instantly switch out with another 18650 battery to continue charging. Something that even most power banks can't do.

Cheers,
    HG

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-Rechargeable-flashlight-Mecarmy-battery/dp/B06XX1LS82?th=1

19. FiaOlleDog

Yep, we see those "fall back to basic USB charging behavior (5V, 500mA)" also with different kind of cables and charger combinations. QC and USB-C PD (IIRC) use higher voltages IF the to-charge-device supports it. So if QC doesn't detect a QC-device it's best to stay in the safe camp (5V = USB standard) to not ruin the device.

Yes - and it only works for those devices that support "PD"; very similar to those devices that would benefit from QC if they support it.

20. Totaled108

Totaled108 Empty Pockets

I’ve only had one power pack over the last 5 years, purchased 3/23/2014 for $50. It’s an Anker Astro3, I’m not sure if their still available. 12,000mah (12ah) and one of the three ports says, ‘Smart’ over it. On the back it states the ‘Smart’ USB port is 5V (4a). I don’t have an way to accurately measure this, but this iPhone 7 went from 8% to 54% in 20 minutes, while using the phone and charging a Bluetooth headset on another port.

I’ve dropped the battery pack over 6 times in its lifespan, mostly onto concrete. A few times, the cover partially popped off. It’s also spend many hours in a bicycle pannier, which is fairly jarring since there’s no suspension to speak of.

I’ll definitely purchase another Anker when it does kick the bucket.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lateck and FiaOlleDog like this.