1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Power Bank?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by DCBman, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

Another vote for Anker products. I have always had good luck with their products.

dml24 likes this.
  2. Doug F.

Doug F. Loaded Pockets

I currently use an 8000 mah power bank that was given to us as a corporate Christmas gift a year ago. Not sure of what brand it is but the price was right!

adnj likes this.
  3. Day Tripper

Day Tripper Loaded Pockets

I have used Anker, Aukey, and Ravpower 20,600 battery banks and have had no problems. Pick your poison, pretty much.

4. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have an Anker 21600Mah, really good one.

dml24 likes this.
  5. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

I've been running a RAVPower RP-PB19 16,750mah pack. 2.4 and 2.1A USB ports. Doesn't take up too much space in my bag. Paired with a 4" cable for my iPhone it is darn near perfect.

[​IMG]

dml24 likes this.
  6. Dumonde

Dumonde Loaded Pockets

we could refresh this thread, two of you are after we can add juicy advantages in our Power Banks as the wireless or solar charge. which one do you use? why?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

7. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

erhm.. que quieres? no entiendo nada.

8. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

For EDC:
    • RAVpower RP-PB33 (several of them) with 3350mAh (has built-in 18650), works fine for Samsung S7 and several Android smartphones as well as a tablet.
    • Anker PowerCore 5000 with - surprise - 5000mAh (has built-in 26650), works fine for above mentioned devices.
    Also the PowerCore is only about 1.5 times the capacity it seems to provide 2 times power. Maybe the smaller battery shuts down earlier?

For longer travel:
    • RAVpower 20000mAh, works fine with several smartphones, tablets and other USB charged devices (flashlights :cool: )

I had previously an EasyAcc 5000 which failed on me after a couple of month (probably used it to less?) and one of the RP-PB3 went dead after I tried to charge a Samsung S7, for whatever reason. The remaining three RP-PB33s are fine since they are on duty (2 years to 5 month).

9. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

I have several from Anchor. Love the large 34k+ version.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

10. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I have a Anker Powercore 20100. Solid, but heavy as ****

Thinking about a Thrunite c20. for a lighter option. I want to be able to replace the battery and use it as a 18650 charger, too.

11. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I like Anker products, but I don't like their proprietary IQ charging. So for power banks, I prefer those that have Quick Charge 2.0 or Quick Charge 3.0. Smartphones with the Snapdragon processors are main compatible with Qualcomm's Quick Charge protocol. Having a Quick Charge capable battery bank is a lot better for me for charging my smartphones.

12. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Anker has been disappointing for me after about 4 months of use.

Quick charge no longer works and now it will only trickle charge my devices. I assumed it was the cables but after using my cables on a wall wort and working fine I check the anker and discovered they are the issue.

I've emailed them about 2 weeks ago and all they said was 'sorry you didnt like our product etc'. Wrote some reviews on amazon as well.

I'm in the market for different battery banks now.

herosemblem likes this.
  13. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Cables are a common source of issues - not really killing a battery, but preventing fast charging - both the powerbank as well as the to-be-charged devices.

I couldn't believe myself until i bought and used an USB power meter (is plugged between the USB port of the powering device and the USB cable, displays voltage and amperes): the cables make a difference.

I put my smartphones, tablet and power banks into a test matrix and did n:m testing.
    Result was: while one USB cable worked fine for a smartphone with the power adapter and provided fast charging (2-2.4A), another cable only provided standard charging power (~ 1A), which results in twice as long time to charge the device.

The same is true if the power adapter is replaced with a power bank, or when I used the high-powered USB port from the laptop to charge my smartphone (a typical use-case while on the road, to save weight I only carry the laptop power adapter and use it to power/charge my laptop as well as my smartphone), or a 2.4A USB 12V car adapter.

Unfortunately, I've not found the "golden" cable which provides good charging (high Amps) from all power sources (power adapter, powerbank, laptop, etc.) to all devices.

It seems like the USB cables that came with the device are often (but not always) provide high charge rates equals lower charging times. Brand name USB cables can work fine with some devices (like Samsung S7), but fail with other devices.

Now, I test any new cable and device with different power sources using the USB power meter - real "fun" but seems to be necessary if one wants to make sure the device is charged in the least time possible.

BTT: today, one of the Anker PowerCore 5000 seems to have fallen to 50% of it's capacity - nope, was not left in freezing temperature outside, but always keept close to the body in an inner pocket of the jacket. I'll do some charge / re-charge cycles and if this doesn't help I'm glad it's still under warranty.

14. smokingfish

As I've mentioned the cables work fine on wall charger or my ravpower battery bank.

15. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Wow, Quick Charge stopped working and all Anker said was sorry? Which Anker power bank is this? It's disappointing to read something like this. Usually Anker stands by their products. It should still be under warranty.

16. smokingfish

It's in my car at the moment, I'll look up model.

They said they won't cover it since I purchased it on amazon.

17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I don't really have skin in the game on this discussion; just following along. I just looked on Amazon.

As usual, there are more than one source. One, 'AnkerDirect', is listed as (and I quote):
    "About AnkerDirect
    AnkerDirect is the sole authorized seller of authentic Anker products (other than Amazon) on the Amazon platform. Offers from other sellers are scamming attempts, counterfeit products or unauthorized reselling. To ensure your complete safety and the excellent service we strive to give our customers, please avoid purchasing from other sellers. "

It would appear that it isn't so much an issue of purchasing on Amazon; rather who is the seller? I use Amazon a lot myself, but this is one of the things about that platform that is so infuriating. There seems like ZERO effort by Amazon to ensure that only authorized sellers for any given product are on the platform! When customers who believe they are Amazon customers find they have no warranty coverage due to an unauthorized seller (let alone fakes!), Bezos and company just shrug their shoulders...

Caveat emptor come to life, big time!

Moshe ben David

FiaOlleDog and smokingfish like this.
  18. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I had a cable go and they sent a replacement without even asking.. I've got 6 of their chargers, at least a dozen cables and a power bank.. Had only the one issue with anker gear and I think it might have been my fault.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dml24 and kikaida like this.
  19. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I gave a review on an Anker cord that I bought on Amazon, saying it became useless within a few months, and Anker customer support sent me TWO different cables at no cost at all without my even asking. That type of customer service won me over. So I really don't understand why Anker would not support their products that are sold on Amazon.

20. Swan

Swan Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone, as somebody who has never owned or used a powerbank I'm after a bit of advice.

I've narrowed down my choices (unless you can advise otherwise) between this Anker...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compact-High-speed-Technology/dp/B019GJLER8?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJV4KMHBMUG36SMIQ&tag=pcmaguk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B019GJLER8&ascsubtag=c3131aeb-e902-4301-bd4a-0b86b112a15d

or the product that has superseded it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-10000mAh-Powerful-External-Black/dp/B079RC1MNV/ref=dp_ob_title_wld

Which one would you buy and why?

In addition, what is the best way to charge the powerbank itself? Is it worth buying an Anker wall charger to charge it?

Finally, is it worth buying the hard carry case or does the case it comes with suffice?

Thanks in advance

Swan