1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Power Bank?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by DCBman, Mar 10, 2016.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone, and I am looking for a decent power bank for this phone.

Samsungs are different when it comes to power banks (different than any other phone). Most will quit charging when the phone goes to sleep. There are thousands of posts out there on the Internet about this. From what I read, very few power banks will work with this phone. I was given two different power banks at a trade show and neither of them worked at all. I'd like to buy one, but I'm wondering what ones REALLY work (?)

Here's what I know so far....

- The Galaxy's must have at least 5+ volt input (or they won't charge), ideally 5.4 volts
    - They must have at least 1.5 amps (and I read more like 2.2+ amps is ideal...most power banks are 2.1)
    - The power pack must be larger than 3600 mAh (otherwise the phone charges the battery, not the other way)

So what power bank will truly work with this phone?

I'm looking at a 20,000 mAh battery which charges at 2.5A at 5.4 volts, but it ain't cheap (understatement of the month). It's over $100 bucks, but I don't want to buy something I can't use.

Anyone have any advice? Samsung Galaxy advice (because these phones are NOT an iPhone!)

NOTE...NOT looking for iPhone advice (no matter what version). Completely different charging system.

Desertratt1322 likes this.
  2. Lopez

Lopez Loaded Pockets

Mu gfs sgs6 goes with 10k maph vakoss powerbank without aby problem. But i dont know if you can get It where you live. We live in Poland. Bedises thaht Company,look out for dedicated Samsung 5200 maph powerbanks (with fast charge) Or anything from anker-great company.
    Cheers:)

Michael L and DCBman like this.
  3. Tranx

Tranx Loaded Pockets

I have a "CasePower XL powerbooster" for my Samsung Galaxy S5 that I am quite happy with. It has a 1A and a 2.1A out. I use the 2.1A out. It's 8000 mah and about the same width and thickness as the phone (with samsung flip case). It's about one cm higher than the phone. I think I paid between 65-75 EUR for it in a local store.

I think the model is not in production any more, but they have newer models on their site (case-power dot com).
    I am not affiliated. I'm just a happy user.

I googled around and you can still find them online, but the price seems very high. Maybe you're better off with the newer models (recent technology, newer batteries,...).
    CASEPOWER 5700=> output 5V/2.1A (49.90 $ available in webshop on the site)

CASEPOWER 8500 => output 5V/2.4A (DUAL) (59.90 $ sold out in webshop on the site - but I could find them on other sites online)

CASEPOWER 14200 => output 5V/3.1A (TRIPLE) (79.90$ sold out in webshop on the site- but I could find them on other sites online)

the smaller ones (2600 & 3700) only have an output of 1.5A, so I think it might not be suitable.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Tranx, Mar 11, 2016
    DCBman likes this.
  4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Wait what? Who told you that? Capacity hasn't got anything to do with this and also that's not how USB works.... either you use a regular usb cable that provides power, or you use an otg cable that tells the phone to deliver the power instead....

koni likes this.
  5. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I EDC a 14000 mah UNU Enerpak Extreme that I picked up for cheap on a daily deal thing from one of the office supply chain websites. My S5 never had any problems charging from it awake, asleep, or just groggy:D. I'd hadn't even heard about that problem until now. But, to be honest, since most of the issues I had were with Samsung and Verizon's software (hence the new Nexus), I wasn't looking either.

6. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I EDC a small Anker power bank with enough juice for about a full phone charge. My wife and I both have Samsung phones and it works fine.

Michael L, Lateck and chavez like this.
  7. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Loaded Pockets

I've been using a Lepow Moonstone for over a year, it's worked great the whole time.

8. zackplanet

zackplanet Loaded Pockets

Wirecutter does a great job testing tons of battery packs on the market. They continually update as technology advances. They have an electrical engineer that does extensive testing of the power output and several other aspects of the battery packs. Check the article out by googling "wirecutter usb battery" since EDC forums won't allow me to post the link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

A few points that are worth mentioning:
    • USB is diode protected from reverse current.
    • There should be separate ports for charge and supply on a power bank. The charge circuit is also separate from the boost circuit that is used for supply.
    • The supply current of most power banks is limited by the internal resistance of LiIon batteries used in the device.
    • The supply current is usually not more than 2 amps @ 5 volts for power banks or wall plug power supplies. Some will incorrectly specify the supply current as higher by adding the highest possible supply currents of all channels or providing a theoretical value.
    • Most well rated power banks are rated at 5000 Mah or higher. Lower capacity can cause voltage sag in the reserve cells that limit charging current and ultimately voltage clipping.
    • Nearly all smart phones use a battery that provides 3.6 volts (empty) to 4.2 volts (charged) depending on the particular battery chemistry the voltages can be different but usually not by more than about 0.2 volts.
    • To charge your battery, the supply voltage must only be of a higher value. Higher current can provide you with faster charge times only.
    I have a Samsung S5, Note 3 and Note 10.1 that work very well with my power bank. I have a Xiaomi 10400 mah model. Aluminum casing and very well designed. Beware of counterfeits.

Last edited by adnj, Mar 12, 2016
    313 likes this.
  10. OregonEMT

OregonEMT Loaded Pockets

This is what I EDC. It's a beast and lasts me usually 2 weeks with standard usage before I need to recharge it.
    Oh and your comment about it having to be bigger than the battery size otherwise the "phone charges the battery" is wrong and makes no sense.
    [​IMG]

koni, troutnut, Nick4305 and 3 others like this.
  11. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

That thing is huge! My carryon luggage is smaller than that!! :p

Desertratt1322 likes this.
  12. c99camper

c99camper Loaded Pockets

My daughter has a couple of Ankers that we all use from time to time. They're smaller than my S5 and will charge all three of our phones (2 S5s and an iPhone 6S+) with plenty of juice left over.
    They were less than $30 apiece online.

Michael L likes this.
  13. OregonEMT

OregonEMT Loaded Pockets

Yes. Yes it is. It's pretty awesome though. It fits perfectly in my Maxpedition Janus Extention Pocket that's attached inside my AHP bag via MOLLE. Tap into it whenever I need to top off. I've had quite a few Ankers with different capacity and I was always exhausting them. Once I got this, it's been simply perfect. I've got coworkers who will connect up when they need juice too. Always enough to spare!

adnj likes this.
  14. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

That's a good reason to keep my Janus. That much backup will come in handy the next time I'm stuck on a 12 hour flight. I may need to get one.

15. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Was goin to ask where you shop if battery packs (or, power banks) are $100 for 20,000 mAh unless it is the specific output of 2.5a making it so expensive. I've used an older model Anker powerpack (15000 mAh) for a few years with a few phones, Samsung Galaxy S3 and Motorola Moto X with no problem. Think it only cost like $30 at the time, has labeled 1a and 2a outputs and an annoying flashlight button that is its only downside.

16. Blitzkrieg
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzkrieg Loaded Pockets

I have an Anker PoweCore 10400 and I love it. I seem to get 4 decent charges from it and it's roughly the size of a coaster and as thick as a pack of playing cards. Works great with my Nexus 5X, I'm eventually going to upgrade to the power bank with direct USB Type C connectors built in, for now this works great since my friends still have Micro USB.

17. OregonEMT

OregonEMT Loaded Pockets

My 26800 Anker Powercore was 39.99. If you watch Amazon like a hawk they go on sale frequently.

Michael L and troutnut like this.
  18. jspec180

jspec180 Empty Pockets

i have an s5 and i like the anker astro e3. its about .6in thick, 2 ports, 100,000mah, charges quickly. i had one of the bigger anker powerbanks before but theyre about an inch thick and i wanted something slimmer.

i dont like the "lipstick" style chargers because theyre usually one usb port, 1a charge and the same price as something from anker. i had one of these and it did have a flashlight on it so i gave it to my sister.

my buddy has the poweradd pilot? hes had it for a couple years and never had a problem with his but some of the amazon reviews are saying they got bad ones.

19. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

I use the EasyAcc POWERBANK PB9000TP ...
    Capacity 9000mAh, output DC 5V max. 2,1A, IP67 (waterproof, dustproof and shockproof).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  20. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

You can't go wrong with any Anker battery. I have a few different ones and they always work!
    I edc the Power Core+ Mini in my pocket just in case I need to top off my device.
    Lateck,