1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

potassium permanganate wallet carry?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by robo-rabbit, Feb 11, 2014.

1. robo-rabbit

robo-rabbit Loaded Pockets

is this a good idea? I know its not allowed on planes, but will drug dogs pick up on this while you are out and about? I would hate to be going about my day and end up questioned about carrying little pink crystals around...

2. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

What for? Fire starter? There are better things that won't lead to questions. Ditto on water purification. Plus, while I do go through my bag when packing for travel, I rarely go through my wallet. One more thing to remember to remove. . .

Don't really know on a K-9 picking it up, but I imagine if the airport chem sniffers would find it there is a good chance a dog might.

3. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I don't know whether a dog could detect it but I'd say there's a slim chance that they would. Drug dogs are trained to find certain substances and I don't potash is on the list.

But why would you want to?

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Potassium permanganate is a powerful oxidizer - if it got wet, it could damage other contents of your wallet and the wallet itself. I would advise against carrying it in your wallet!

Wishoot likes this.
  5. robo-rabbit

robo-rabbit Loaded Pockets

What are some other small alternatives for water purification/fire starter?

I know, I would keep it in a small water-tight bag.

6. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Not being sure of all your requirements, I'm not quite sure where to point. But to start:
    For water, katadyn puts out individually foil wrapped chlorine dioxide tablets, under the Micrpur label

Fire, there are any number of imprgnated cotton batting tinder and small striker solutions

robo-rabbit likes this.
  7. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

>I know, I would keep it in a small water-tight bag.

Not a bag most definitely. The hard crystals will chew through any ziplock or similar bag, add sweat/moisture and you have a damaged wallet w/contents, an item of clothing and maybe a skin burn in bargain.
    Some kind of a straw-type container, welded shut maybe... I did include a Bic inktube with permanganate in the Comic Survival Knife I've built once, but it was not meant to be worn or used or whatever (38 items in the handle and sheath with pockets on both sides, no photos survived - it was kind of before digital photography)

8. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

+1 for all the "no hazardous chemicals in your pocket" type responses. My thoughts:
    -wallets are only handy if you are going places where you'll need cards/money. that means shops, which means civilization, which means easy access to drinking water and heat/light sources. No need for water purifying/firestarting chemicals.
    -if you're going someplace without easy access to light/heat/water, you can put your possible chemical burn someplace other than your pants.

9. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

It's a precursor chemical. Not advisable in the context of airports, today's world situation, which puts the burden on you for a an explanation.

10. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Why in the world would you want to do that? Really? Besides being detained by drug/terror/chem hazard professionals, and wasting our tax money because you thought you would need to start a fire? Or purify water? There are so many better options, not that its likely you will ever need either one. Please tell me this is a troll post.

11. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Sure! Carry it!

12. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

How about a box of matches and a bottle of water instead

Nick4305 and Mumbojumboo like this.
  13. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I.. I... I have no words. :blink:

In lieu of...

Given the state current of "The War on Drugs", "The War on Terror", "The War on Contraband 'Hello Kitty' Stickers"....

It just doesn't take a whole lot to score a ticket down the rabbit hole.

Get a LifeStraw and your choice of lighter/firesteel/fire piston and call it good.

Something else to keep in mind...

ATB,
    Sam

Nick4305 likes this.
  14. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I really hope it was just a provocation, just to see what folks reply.
    You really think to need to do that ?!?
    Better think to other... Bye.