1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Post Your Favorite Cheap Pen (s)

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Nightwatch, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

You too? I'm an incorrigible scavenger of pens and other things I may or may not find useful. Oh, and shiny stuff as well!  :laugh:
    I likes me some nice pens, though. But the cheap ones are too hard to pass up...especially if you tend to lose 'em like I do.  :shrug:
    Not to hijack, but I'm having a hard time finding cartridges for my G-2 minis. Do they make 'em or are we adding more fodder to the landfill everytime one of these babies runs dry?

2. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Here's my favorite cheap pen, it's the one on the bottom, shown with an Inka for size comparison:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a new pen from Zebra called a "Compact" F-301 fine point ball point pen.  It has a lanyard attachment point as well, shown here (I added the split ring myself):

[​IMG]

About $4 for a package of two at Walmart :)

Just did a review of it here:
    http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=4766.msg57823#msg57823

Dan

3. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Empty Pockets

I got my Rotring 600 Triopen for $10, but as for retail priced pens, I like the Vision Elite.

4. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

I usually have several cheap pens on me or close by all the time.
    I like the Parker Jotter ball points have one stainless and one with a red/maroon barrel.
    I usually have a couple of Pilot G-2's in my pocket or bag and a couple of Bic click pens or Bic stick pens that I keep as loaners.

There always seems to be a Pentel Rolling Writer laying around the house whenever I need a pen and don't have one in my pocket.

5. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

In the past, abt once a year I have bought a box of ten Bic or Papermate Comfort Mate or Soft Feel clickies. They're laying everywhere. I stuck my head in a Staples today looking for some better clickie guts and external pocket clips than Bic for some 5/16" dia. Ti tubing that arrived last week. I struck-out on that quest, but still left ~$35 poorer. I grabbed a multi-colered pack of mini Sharpies, a pack of 4 mech pencils and a 2-pack of the Zebra F301, Inka-type and a 2-pack of the telescopics. The Inka wannabees immediately landed in the "drawer."

The Zebra telescopics @ 2/~$5 are cool! They're a pretty solid instrument, despite their country of origin! Maybe not as cheap as those "liberated" from your employer or a Chinese resteraunt, but "cooler!" The Ti Inka I have on order may also land in the "drawer!" ;D

Larry

6. mightysparrow

mightysparrow Empty Pockets

I bought my first Zebra F-301 Compacts today, at Wal-mart in the double pack for $3.97. Great pen! :smitten: I love the small size, the nice pocket cliip and keyring/lanyard hole in the cap, and the fine point. The look is great, too! This pen will be a favorite from now on, along with the Pilot G2 mini. I had considered ballpoint pens too uncomfortable to use, but no more. Here in northern Virginia, the F-301 Compact is also on sale for about the same price at Staples Stores.

7. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

Bruner, mightysparrow, I am with you on the Zebra F-301. :highfive:

jamesko kindly sent one my way and I'm smitten. :smitten:

I'm not a fan of plastic pens, and though the barrel of this pen is mostly plastic, it doesn't feel cheap to me in the least. Ink is smooth, construction is solid but not excessive, the cap clicks securely, and the clip is long and reasonably springy. I love the minimalistic aluminum design and the price...the price is dirt cheap. I'm stocking up on these suckers.

The only thing is that I can't ever see me carrying it on my keychain due to its size...great for pen or pocket, yes, but just way too big for my keychain.

8. Stu Gatz

Stu Gatz Empty Pockets

My inexpensive standby for years has been a Pilot Precise Rolling Ball V5 Extra Fine in Black...

I have used a few other inexpensive pens such as different models of the Uni-Ball series... :-X

Stuart

9. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

10. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

I've carried one of the Zebra telescopics for a week now, and it's a definate keeper! :smitten: (Modded, of course!) I'm gonna stop by an Orifice Depot tomorrow and hopefully buy a few more and some pressurized Fisher universal refills for it. (I've never tried a Fisher pressurized pen, but have a Trekker on order. -nothanks to youz guys! :tsk:)

Micro review: Appears to be of drawn/machined brass construction and has some heft for its size wich is 3.75" closed and 5.125" open. They are a nice piece of work, and at 2/$5 a bargain IMHO.

Larry

11. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

I'll start the bidding for the "drawer" contents at a buck! ;D

Didn't like the F-301 Compacts, hm? I'll have to take a closer look at the telescopic ones...for some reason, those looked cheaper to me than the "Inka wannabes," but Wal-mart fluorescents are not the most flattering lights out there....

Malcontent winged a Trekker my way, and my someday soon goal is to side-by-side-by-side-by-side-by-side of five keychain pens: the amorous PicoPen, the Fisher Trekker, the Zebra F-301 Compact, the Zebra Penpod, and the Inka (still have to procure one of these).

Right now, I'll say that the Trekker is hefty, but no more compact than the F-301 Compact. And not as blissfully cheap, either.

12. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

If I wanted one on my keyring, I could. ;D
    [​IMG]
    (I wonder how long Comcast is going to continue to let me use my sold-to-Time-Warner account?)

Larry

13. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Where did you get that telescopic Zebra with a split-ring attached (attachment point) ??? The one I have doen't have that. Also the figer grip show on your telescopic is different than mine. Mine has that "fluted" texture the whole way down to the end.

Dan

loWWorm and eveyone else,

The Inka is still by far my favorite keychain pen. It's hard to beat it's "transformer" qualities ;)

Dan

14. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

Hi Dan,

I'm a wizeguy and have a lathe and milling machine in my garage/shop. I found the front of the pen to be a little slippery and added a dozen grooves to corect that. One of our Moderators has a fixation on "keychain pens" and I milled the end of one for a splitring in spite, I mean humor. :green:

Larry

15. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Larry,

You are playing with us ;)

Cool though... If I had a lathe I might have done the same.

Dan

16. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I am a service advisor, so I write down everything you say is broke on your car when you drop it off. I had been using a Zebra F301 for the last few years. I have started using a Fisher Space Pen Cap-O-Matic. Cheap, writes when I need it to, sometimes when standing in the rain. The Zebra is my back-up pen now, the Cap-O-Matic is my primary.

Blades

17. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

Boy, I'd hate to be that person... :popcorn:...those fixations can be murder!

More than meets the eye! I really need to check an Inka out.

Blades, the cap-o-matic is a clickie, with a fake cap, right?

18. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Lowworm,
    Yes it is a clickie. For the price, it is hard to beat. I need a clickie at work, it takes to long to cap/uncap a pen to make notes or whatever.

Blades

19. Coldwood

Coldwood Empty Pockets

More praise for Pilot G-2, my favorite. They may be cheap (I can buy an economy dozen at Staples for about $10) but they are well made, write great, and seem to last forever. I have a friend who collects the odd but good pen that happens her way (there's one in every office ;) ), and she loves these.

20. wolf54

wolf54 Empty Pockets

The Parker Jotter in Stainless Steel. Cheap, writes well, refills are plentiful.

It also makes a nice improvised self defense tool!

[​IMG]