1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Post Your Favorite Cheap Pen (s)

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Nightwatch, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Loaded Pockets

We have multiple posts on pens that cost as much as some of us make a month. Let this post be about your favorite pen that costs less than 10$ US.

I wirte a lot, both for work and for pleasure, and I tend to get very picky about my pens. The one thing that bugs me the most is a pen that fails to write smoothly. This is even more an issues as I prefer a very vine point for my pens. During my quest to find the ultimate "beater pen" I have come across 2 that have become favorites.

The first is the Sanford Uniball Vision. It's easy to find, writes beautifuly smooth, has a waterproof ink, and tends to last a good bit before needing a new one. My only complaint about this pen is that the ink is not the fastest drying and one must be careful to avoid smearing it.

My second favorite cheap pen is the Pilot Varsity Disposable Fountain Pen. I have several fountain pens and have fallen very much in love with the tactile response they give when writing. The problem is of course dealing with refils, pens that dry out quickly (even when capped), and the occasional leakage. The Varsity seems to be fairly immune to drying out as long as it is well capped, and leaks much less than the other fountain pens I have.

Now lets hear about yours.

2. was_jlh

was_jlh Loaded Pockets

Pilot G-2

3. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Beater fountain pen: Parker Vector (I have three in different colors)/Pilot Varsity disposable (just picked up four)

For proofing/editing (use green for faxes): Pilot Precise V5 Extra Fine/Sanford Uniball Micro in red and green

Uh, uhm, everything else goes above your price point there.

Karen

Attached Files:

4. greencobra

greencobra Loaded Pockets

How about free? I like the advertising pens this Chinese restaurant I go to a lot has, the one that comes over with the credit card receipt. I'm holding one now and it has no markings on it but it's fat, ugly, and has a rubber grip. And comes in multiple colors. I steal one every time I go. Well not really, I say to the waiter, "I'm taking your pen, OK?" I bet they buy them by the hundreds for pennies each. These bad boys work like champs.

5. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Oh, and my little cheapie Sheaffer student fountain pens...have three of those, too.

6. sewer_rat

sewer_rat Loaded Pockets

My criteria for pens are black ink, non-smearing and very fine points.

Uniball Signo Micro 207 - Fade, water resistant ink. Prevents check washing.
    Pilot G-2
    Uniball Vision Exact Micro
    Pilot Hi-tecpoint V5 Grip

Cheapcheap pen, I use a Zebra R-301 Rollerball

Drawing and sketching, I have used a Rotring Rapidoliner for 20 odd years I think.

7. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Empty Pockets

Zebra Pocket Pen.

best wallet pen I've ever seen.

8. LowWorm

LowWorm Guest

This one is called the Shorty Stylus pen, and it was made by styluscentral.com at one time (don't see it on their site anymore). It's a combo pen/stylus twisty, clocks in at 4 inches, is metal with a subtle rubber grip, and is nicely balanced. Oh yeah, and the ink is great - writes smoothly, no clumps, and at pretty much any angle.

I bought it on sale for under $10 (I think the regular price was $9.95). The clip is its big downer...I have two of these pens, and the clip came loose on both.

Attached Files:

9. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

I've gone back to an old friend, the original Arrow Pen. A simple design, and I have been carrying it everyday for over a month without any problems. It is pocket carry friendly, but the trend for the past few years has been toward larger size pens, but I like the sleek design of the arrow. For under $5, it's hard to beat!

10. Exploriment

Exploriment Loaded Pockets

I always carry one or two cheapy Bic capped ball point pens, a red and a black in the pen slots in my pack.
    Certainly not the first pen I grab for, but useful as something to give to someone, and the fact that I have two tubes on me, appeals to the McGuyver in me.

11. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

I have lots off favorite cheapies! Every day I have a Mini-Sharpie in dark blue in my pocket and a Mini-G2 in black clipped into the neck of my work shirt. Zebra Tapli clickie ballpoints with their fat 1.6mm tips and Papermate Liquid Expresso medium point fibre tips are my main pens that I take with me when I am travelling or working when I don't want to take a 'good' pen. Papermate Profile clickie ballpoints with their 1.4mm balls are pretty good too, and a little cheaper and easier to find than the Taplis. As far as liquid ink pens the Uniball Vision Elites with the .8mm tips and the Pilot Precise Deluxe write nice smooth wet lines that will rival or beat a lot of lower end fountain pens.

Cross Solo fountain pens have nibs made by Namiki of Japan and are awesome writers for the money. If you shop eBay hard they can be found for around $10. Sheaffer No-nonsense fountain and calligraphy pens are getting harder to find, but again are super solid and reliable and can be found for less than $10. The older version with the screw-on cap is FAR superior to the newer version with the rubber grip area and the snap on cap.

12. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

I carry a Zebra F-301 for that very reason. It fits my Day-Timer wallet perfectly. Though I have discovered that with heavy use -- I'll use it for two hours on end occasionally -- the ink tends to gob up on the tip. Not a lot, just a little annoying.

13. LauraQ

LauraQ Loaded Pockets

Have you seen the Pilot G2 Pro? Retractable, gel ink, fine tip, water resistant ink. Nice! $2.94 at Wal-mart (and there's a $1.50 refund offer on the package.)

-- Laura

14. kmcrawford111

kmcrawford111 Empty Pockets

The standard medium or fine Bic pens have actually worked quite well for me. I write left-handed, and the ink seems to smear less than the other cheap/common pens I've used. Paper Mate pens smear terribly.

15. greencobra

greencobra Loaded Pockets

I'm sitting here reading this thread and laughing, at myself too.  We spend all kinds of serious money on trinkets of EDC, pry tools, flashlights, key chains, knives, mini tools, commando wallets, and whatever.  And the one piece of EDC we probably use the most every day, we try to use the cheapest one we can find.  The pen! :D :lolhammer:

16. Superdave1

Superdave1 Loaded Pockets

Well, GC, many people ask for advice on knives in a specific price range. Pens are in abundance, but quality cutting tools are not.
    But when I go fishing I usually have a cheaper knife (don't want my edc to smell like fish for a week) and if I were to lose it in the water, it won't upset me for a month. I have fine pens, which I would be stressed if I lost, and cheapo pens I wouldn't, but I would want the best cheapo :p
    I would hazard to say that a knife failing is usually more criticle than a pen failing!!
    And it's more fun being a knife knut than a pen nut ...even if the pen is mightier than the Sebenza.

17. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

As far as commercial pens, I favor the Pilot G-2 and the Zebra Telescopic pens.

I enjoy using a saw and diagonal cutters to shorten the free pens the family finds at shows, promotions, banks, in parking lots, etc. The shorter pens are much easier to tuck in pockets, versipacks, piggyback in multitool holsters, etc.

Attached Files:

18. carpdiem

carpdiem Empty Pockets

More love for the Pilot G2. Awesome pen and it writes like a dream.

19. JN

JN Loaded Pockets

Pilot SuperGrip clickable Medium ballpoint. Been using it for years.
    Very smooth and the medium blue ink is bold, not as bright as Pilot G2, but
    just right for me. The refills are available separately and I have them in
    all my other pens that would take them.

20. Fester

Fester Empty Pockets

I have always used a Parker Jotter Ball Pen its cheap at £3.99/$7.56 but still look classy and has a Perfectly weighted barrel  for effortless writing

[​IMG]

Rob