1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Portland metro area meet and greet

Discussion in 'Trade Shows & EDCF Gatherings' started by KODIAKman, Nov 2, 2013.

1. KODIAKman

KODIAKman EDC Junkie

Lots of folks lately posting from my neck of the woods. I know its hunting season right now but anyone interested in getting together for a brew and show and tell? Would be fun to meet up and put some faces to names and show our edc. Would also be a good way to handle some gear, share ideas?...Also gun and knife show at expo center is Dec 20-22. And the Kershaw warehouse sale is always the first weekend in December. Last year I picked up a grip of knives there for 100 bucks. Great gifts and a good chance to fondle some potential new sharps:)

SAKplumber likes this.
  2. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

Good idea. I've lived here 19 years and never went to the Kershaw knife sale, yet I love their knives. I might make it to the gun show, but December 20th is my 15th anniversary of being 25, since I decided to stop aging then. :p The big "Four-O" might be too much for me, hehe.

KODIAKman likes this.
  3. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I'd be down for a get together.

KODIAKman likes this.
  4. KODIAKman

KODIAKman EDC Junkie

Congrats on making it to the big 40 Lou. The Kershaw sale is a must see, especially if you miss the gun and knife show:)

Right on Medusa. I remember your pics from the Grand Canyon. Looks like it was a great trip.

If someone wants to take the lead on the organization of a get together that would be cool. I've got a two year old that keeps me crazy busy and just found out number two is on the way. It seems like the big get togethers rarely happen because of conflicting schedules and issues of finding a place large enough or friendly enough to have edc gear being slung about. In the summer a park or something would probably work the best. If anyone wants to just get together earlier than that Im down for meeting at a local pub or something where we could reserve a room/area or something. Might make it easier to look at our gear once the bags and knives and keychains come out. Possibly something like the Edgefield. Anybody else have any ides?

5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Congrats on number 2!

Just a disclaimer - my actual socialization quotient waxes and wanes, so I can't make any promises about attending. I will keep y'all in my thoughts. :D

KODIAKman likes this.
  6. KODIAKman

KODIAKman EDC Junkie

So ill be at the Kershaw warehouse sale tomorrow am if any of you local guys are going to be there let me know. Always fun to put a face to the name. My two year old had kept me up for the last two hours so I'll be the dude who looks like a zombie:)

7. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I had to rest after work, so I'm headed to Kershaw in about half an hour.

Sent from my Colecovision

8. KODIAKman

KODIAKman EDC Junkie

Well I was back home by noon. Maybe next time. Good luck, there are some great deals!!

9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

LOL - I went to the warehouse sale this AM. Oh good grief, so broke. But so worth it.

10. MedusaOblongata

So show us what you got.

11. KODIAKman

KODIAKman EDC Junkie

I posted a few pics on my edc page:)

12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]
    1. Top Left: ZT 550
    2. Top Right: Kershaw 1725 CB
    3. Middle Left: Kershaw Cryo 1551TIX
    4. Middle Right: Kershaw boot knife
    5. Bottom: Kershaw "Camp Knife" 10

I missed my target knife, the ZT 566 - mostly because it was so new, they only had a few out. Next year, there will be more. The Camp Knife is surprisingly heavy - it's not a flimsy machete but an honest to wow knife. The 10 is a khukri pattern; the 14 is like a small cutlass. I never used to be particularly fond of Kershaw - mostly because they tended to be variants of Ken Onion designs, but they're definitely branching out more.

That's my swag - I bought another Cryo as a future present and the Camp Knife 14 and a colored Leek for my roommate.

Lou_G, MedusaOblongata and KODIAKman like this.
  13. KODIAKman

KODIAKman EDC Junkie

Nice haul!! I was late for the 0566 as well. Also missed out on getting to look at a cryo II or a thermite.

14. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

From what the sales folk said, they only had a handful of the Cryo 2 models as well - you either have to camp out really, really early and be the first one in the door on Friday or stake out a table all day and hope they have more left to put out after the initial rush.

15. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I didn't have the budget to make the most of the sale, but got a couple good deals. I was hoping for a Cryo II, but they were all gone Friday. I got myself a Cryo and picked up another Funxion EMT for my wife, she loved mine and I finally got her to carry a knife! $15 each for new knives, I wasn't expecting that good of a deal. Next year I'm going to plan for it and bring more money!

[​IMG]
    2013KershawSale by mgn_lucifer, on Flickr

Nick4305, tmedina and KODIAKman like this.
  16. MedusaOblongata

Do any of the other local knife companies do similar sales?

17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not that I know of. I know Spyderco in Colorado does it, although I think they weren't doing it this year?

And Kai/Kershaw/ZT in Oregon.

EtA: @Lou: I know what you mean. I'm going to start saving up now. :D

18. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I'm told Benchmade has their sale tomorrow and Friday.

Sent from my Colecovision

19. KODIAKman

KODIAKman EDC Junkie

There is indeed a benchmade sale tomorrow. It starts at 8:30. Supposed to have some one offs and discontinued models as well. I'm thinking about going just to look and handle some models I've always wanted to look at. I saved up little bits here and there all year for the kershaw sale so I'm pretty well tapped out on my xmas knife budget:)

20. KODIAKman

KODIAKman EDC Junkie

Went to the benchmade sale today. Lots of prototypes, a few discontinued models and some knives that never made it to retailers. In short the sale was fun but was geared mostly towards collectibles. Got to handle some really neat blades and it was my first time to the Benchmade factory. I didn't plan on buying anything but they had this little fixed blade for a killer price. Well over half off as it was a trade show display model. I recommend going if for no other reason then to get to play with all the sharps. They are having the sale through tomorrow. Make sure and bring your benchmade blades as well. They are doing free laser engraving.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

MedusaOblongata and Lou_G like this.