1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Portable Wifi Hotspot

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by sbiner, Jul 27, 2009.

1. sbiner

sbiner Loaded Pockets

For all EDCers who use mobile internet: how nice would it be to have wifi with you, wherever you go? Now there is a solution: MiFi.

It's a very slim, screen-less device, with one power button, and in some models, a microsd slot to hold applications that can be used on any device connected to it.

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, there are models avaliable from sprint and verizon. interestingly, they're both cdma networks.

I think it's $59.99 a month for 5gbs of data, which is a complete rip-off, compared to what you can get in some other places. But if it can be used by a few people around you, and it costs what you would pay if you had a data plan, it's not so bad.

Details:
    Sprint's Novatel MiFi
    Verizon's Novatel MiFi

There is no significant difference between those two versions, it comes down to personal choice. I think there are other versions, but I only know of these two. Does anyone already carry these around?

2. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

There is a hack I use for my Samsung Omnia that turns it into a wifi router. Its pretty slick.

3. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

iPhone can do that via bluetooth or usb. Also (I forget the name) but there is a device that you insert your sim card into and it is uses that and a battery to to run a wifi router.

4. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

5. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

My phone might be a bit bigger than that Mifi access point, but it's a lot smaller than a laptop. How do you EDC a laptop?

6. sbiner

sbiner Loaded Pockets

Does it affect the speed at all when you and a few other people share the connection?

7. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I used to have an aircard through verizon. It was like 59.99 a month or something like that for Internet access. I was limited to 5gb per connected session before being charged extra. As long as there was a cell phone signal, I could have Internet access. It was great. Last summer I rented a beach house for the week. According to the rental guide, less then 5 properties had Internet access. No worries for me because of my aircard.

8. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

I am wondering this as well. We were thinking of replacing the two aircards on our project with one mobile router. We have five people in the office, and am curious about the speed when the connection is shared.

I was thinking that since our aircards are more than two years old, we might be getting better speeds with the router. But I am wondering what people are actually experiencing.

9. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Honestly I have never tested it with multiple users, but I would assume due to bandwidth limitations it would depend on what was being done. I just use mine so I can carry one less cable.

10. sonderdienste

sonderdienste Loaded Pockets

Do a Google search for JoikuSpot. :)

11. sbiner

sbiner Loaded Pockets

I probably should've included that in my first post too. Primarily, I'm concerned with the speed of the internet; five other users are leeching off your connection. Having a dedicated wifi hotspot might solve that problem.

12. tennvol

tennvol Empty Pockets

I just tether my VZW Blackberry since it never leaves my side.

13. wenestvedt

wenestvedt Loaded Pockets

14. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

I use a dongle that lets me connect to the internet through the mobile phone network (just plugs into a USB port). The prices are getting really competitive here in the UK now (for just the dongle and contract its £15 for 15 gig a month) and im pretty sure there are routers that can connect to the dongle somehow (ive no need for one so not really researched it).

There are disadvantages of course, but coupling one of these with a netbook is amazing portable time killing.

The speed can be really solid nowadays too. But then the UK is several years behind the US in broadband speed (and well over a decade behind S Korea).

15. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Concurrent usage will slow the connection. Most users will not be downloading info at the same time. I have one and it is much simpler than tethering.

16. chico13

chico13 Loaded Pockets

just a lil secret for Samsung instanct m800 owners you can make it a Portable modum of corce Sprint dosent tell you that