1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Portable Tool Kit

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Ted Andkilde, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

This is all your fault :)

Hadn't really thought about how I drag my tools around until I saw some of the cool solutions here, I used to carry an old "Doctor's Bag" style kit around but my needs have evolved. I was tucking stuff in my pockets for a while, but I was forever discovering I'd left something critical in the car, or on my desk...

So:

[​IMG]

Started with a Ripoff's XL EMT pouch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From top left: CruzeTools String Cutter*, Knipex Cobra Pliers, Bahco Needlenose, Altoids Tin (lined with business card magnets to use as a parts grabber), Bic, Klein Shears, Orange Skyline, Vaughan 222 Prybar (needs to be sharpened) PicQuic Screwdriver (pouch flap was really long, probably to fit a laryngoscope -- so I shortened it by folding and sewing in a D-ring), Vargo Ti Tentpeg, 14" Ty-Raps (held together with a paracord bead), two Bahco adjustable Wrenches (fairly thin, open quite wide), Hemostat, Stanley mini Screwdriver, UltraFire 2x CR123a stainless bodied Light, Safety Lock, Park Tool Metric Allen Key set.​
    I haven't figured how (or if I want) to lanyard the pliers. The pouch has a sturdy stainless belt clip and is quite comfortable full. The Park Allen keys are nice and compact, but, full sized keys would be nice for the extra torque, haven't figured out how to organize or stow them though.​
    [​IMG]
    *CruzeTools cutters are a disappointment, fit and finish is OK, not great, and the tip snapped off the first time I used them. Someone recommended them on another thread here, I'll find a pair of compact Knipex or Bahco one's to replace them.​
    Cheers, Ted​

2. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Swell kit! Cool idea about the business card magnet in the Altoids tin. What do you do with the tent peg?

3. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

Probably uses it like a fid. I have to say its missing a few things but it looks like an electricians kit

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

4. Ted Andkilde

I use the peg for lining up parts and to hold a particular hairpin spring in place while I'm assembling a gripper (part of one of the tools I sell that my customers are quite adept at breaking :), there's a sacrificial component), a punch or awl would do but this was compact and had a lanyard hole, so...

Not much electrical work, aside from adjusting a few prox switches.

Cheers, Ted

kd7dvd likes this.
  5. lowindo

lowindo Loaded Pockets

I use these side cutters at work, processing electronic waste. We cut and separate all the cords among numerous other things. And, the NWS cutters work great. I would buy them again but i'd go with the black tool instead of the so called "chrome". Just because it probably doesn't show dirt/grease/ electrical tape residue as bad. NWS makes many different sizes but I think the 160mm gives a good mix between pocketability and function. The NWS fantastico's look great and I'm sure cut awesome but they are 2 handers which for me is a deal breaker.

The bahco side cutters are a great choice as they are one of the only high quality cutters that are sprng loaded. Which that feature can be disabled as well.

If you get a second watch the side cutter on youtube. Search bahco nws side cutters and it should pop up. Not a lot of details but he shows about 30 different pairs of high quality cutters.

I'd say you'd be good with either bahco or nws as long as you aren't prying or hammering with the tip.

6. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Nice kit. Really like the altoids/magnet idea.

7. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

You look like you need a Skinth Double Wide

8. lowindo

lowindo Loaded Pockets

here is the youtube video i was talking about on cutting tools. Not much of a review but atleast shows alot of the different high end side cutters. Decide for yourself what works best for you.

9. YLR2312

YLR2312 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    *CruzeTools cutters are a disappointment, fit and finish is OK, not great, and the tip snapped off the first time I used them. Someone recommended them on another thread here, I'll find a pair of compact Knipex or Bahco one's to replace them.​
    Cheers, Ted​
    [/quote]

I swear I have the same cutters but I got them from Ace Hardware and they are marked as their store brand, they are made in Taiwan though. They held up alright but I wasn't using them for anything heavy. I now carry some channellock brand cutters I got used for a buck.

10. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

You should really hang out with SAKplumber! You guys probably have the same lower spine disorder!:rofl:

Nice set-up! Looks like every base is covered!

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

I am def. going to steal that idea for work!

Thanks.

12. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Knipex....Bahco.....Klein....:inlove:

well, alrighty then!

SAKplumber likes this.
  13. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Good tools there but stay away from Channel Lock cutters cause they are horrible at least in my experience. Good adjustable pipe pliers though.

SAKplumber likes this.
  14. 320

320 Loaded Pockets

ted-

i'm personally not sure about all your lanyards, but...
    most pliers handles are relatively hard and hard to drill
    you could use some sort of nail knot on one of the handles (snugged up well, it probably would'nt slip)
    what i've done on tools that i needed to drill is skin off the plastic handle, carefully anneal the grip i wanted to drill out and make my hole (a drill press will let you register your hole without a lot of wandering)

15. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

I love knipex pliers. I personally prefer the alligator version, no protrusion. I tried the cobra style but promptly switched back.

Nice setup :)

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II

16. Ted Andkilde

A buddy let me borrow his Cobra pliers and I was intantly in lust :). My favourite feature is that the adjustment is 'locked in' unlike normal slip joints.

The Bahco needlenoses are pretty sweet as well, they're slender enough to get into tight spots but are ground with, comparatively, wide tips and have great serrations and leverage, and the adjustable/pipe wrenches stray from the US "Crescent Wrench" pattern in very useful ways (the jaws can be flipped to allow them to be used similarly to a traditional pipe wrench, minus the traditional teeth marks.

The Germans seem to really pay attention to details and ergonomics with their hand tools, I have some Wiha stuff as well, their tool tips are among the nicest to use, precisely ground and shaped so you get fewer round-outs. All things considered it's worth spending a couple of extra bucks on better quality IMO.

Blair, Gnarly and vegassprky like this.
  17. Ted Andkilde

Yeah, it's a bit goofy with all the Paracord flopping around. I do a fair bit of work on a ladders or inside cells where you'd rather not drop a tool, so the lanyards are vaguely functional. There's also a bit of "hey, that's mine..." going on as well.

On the pliers, I'd considered drilling handles or stripping the vinyl and doing some sort of Turk's Head replacement grips, but got lazy.

Cheers, Ted

Last edited by Ted Andkilde, Aug 20, 2012
    SAKplumber likes this.
  18. Ted Andkilde

Thanks lowindo, those NWS cutters look sweet, haven't heard of the brand before.

Cheers, Ted

19. Ted Andkilde

LOL

20. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

Wowza, too much orangey/yellow paracord for me! :eek: But I'll bet you can always tell your stuff.