1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

portable "thumb" ratchets

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by copykat, Jun 22, 2006.

1. xDANx

xDANx Banned

Nice find! O0

2. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Cool, but I don't think my thumbs are strong enough for those. I would have to get a wrench to make it work. But that would defeat the purpose of this item huh? :laugh:

3. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Neat item. I have one in my toolbox, but I don't EDC it.

todd

4. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

I thought maybe i could modify one so that a tool i carry everyday could apply the final pressure. Maybe cut some notches in the top or drill a hole in the side for a screw driver. Ill post a pic if i come up with something.

5. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

Without being modded, these look completely useless....

You would need to carry the sockets with you as well for it to do any good, right? By this point you may as well carry a nice ratchet.

And the amount of leverage is so small that in very few cases would it actually be worth it... I ask, what can this do that a pair of pliers couldn't do better?

6. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I am guessing that you are right CanDo. If am guessing that if you are able to loosen a nut with this tool, the nut wasn't tightened properly in the first place. The handle of a socket wrench is there for a reason.

7. 1331

1331 Empty Pockets

There are "thumb" type bit adapters I use very frequently. Although not ratchets, the space above the fastener is about the same when a ratchet is attached. I can remove most fasteners by hand alone for my purposes as the use I put these to is limited by height, not by side swing of a sliding t-bar or ratrchet. The adapters are magnetic and help in not losing small screws. A "tommy bar" hole could be drilled in the side for more leverage. IIRC these were in the $2 range.[​IMG]