1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Portable Storage suggestions

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Sentinel-14, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I currently carry a 250GB USB hard drive in my pack which serves as a backup of all my home PC files, the idea being that if my house burns down, gets burgled, etc... I still have all my information. Currently it serves the purpose but I've been looking to reduce the weight of my EDC and I've been thinking about going to an ultra-high-capacity SD card; something in the realm of 400-500GB. They're out there, and they're about as expensive as my current USB 250GB was when I bought it. I would consider a thumb drive but I have not seen any from a reputable manufacturer in the capacity I'm looking for. Corsair has a 1TB thumb drive, but it's out of my price range at $290.

Mind you this is for files only: documents, music, photos, etc... not games.

What I want to know is whether or not this is a good idea. I don't read/write to my backup drive often; maybe once a month, so I'm not terribly worried about the card wearing out from overuse. However, what little bit of information I've been able to find that is germane to my intended use seems to indicate it's not a good idea.

Thoughts?

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

What is not a good idea exactly?

3. lnytunes

lnytunes Loaded Pockets

In addition to having a portable hard drive, I usually have my data encrypted and in the cloud that way it's in three different places. But I do have a portable SSD.

echo victor likes this.
  4. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I generally use a portable HD as well as both an SSD and cloud storage. I don't consider thumb drives as reliable and would not use one as my primary backup.

What I would suggest is to use an SSD in your EDC bag. Then, every day, few days, whatever interval, copy its contents to an HD and to cloud storage. I use a utility (I have actually used it for many years) from MS called SyncToy. It's free and easy to find and download (link is below). Once installed, you create folder pairs (source and target) and define how the files are copied (newer overwrites older, etc., but I use the Contribute setting, which means that nothing is ever deleted at the target). Once you've completed the first "sync", subsequent syncs are very quick because only the delta gets copied.

Using your example, you would plug in the SSD and sync to it from the PC source, and then repeat that process with the HD. Select the folder pair (e.g., SSD -> HD) from the SyncToy interface and go.

The process is very quick and it doesn't cost any $$. Of course, you can always drag and drop from source to target, but if you've got a lot of stuff to move, SyncToy is much quicker because it indexes stuff and only copies what has changed since the last sync..

Cloud storage should proceed from the original folders on your PC to the cloud; this step shouldn't involve portable storage.

Here is the link to download SyncToy:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

The strategy described here provides multiple redundancies. The PC-to-cloud replication is handled automatically in the background. All you would need to do is to SyncToy from your PC to the SSD and, if you use an HD as well, from the PC to the HD.

Good luck with any strategy you decide.

5. Sentinel-14

The idea of using an SD card for data backup. Something about it being unstable and prone to corruption. But from what I've been able to find that seems to be more a case when the card is written to often. I dont intend to do that so I don't see why an SD card would be a problem in this specific application.

I appreciate the suggestions for cloud storage but that's something I am absolutely unwilling to do. I don't want to get into the weeds on the subject, but I simply don't trust cloud storage. Not that I have anything incriminating to hide, I just don't trust the security and I feel better knowing my files are on my person. My data is most secure when you have to physically pry it from my fingers.

Seems the consensus is as I have already found in my research; unfortunate. I was hoping to eliminate the bulk of a portable drive.

Fishin Fool likes this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have been using the Samsung portable SSD hard drives in conjunction with Flash Drives and these drives are less than 1/3 the weight and bulk of portable spinning drives in general.
    They are also pretty inexpensive compared to USB Flash Key form factors for the really huge ones but you also did not state that 256g is too small and those seem to be a pretty sweet spot pricewise for the smallest form devices to me anyway?
    I also use the Samsung rugged solid metal Flash Drives and they have been in my pockets for a long time with Zero issues ever for me.

I also pretty much shun Cloud Storage and as long as I am consistent with redundant backups I feel pretty safe with my strategy there.

ran23 likes this.
  7. Sentinel-14

I said I was looking for something in the 400-500GB range, but failed to explain why. My PC has a 1TB primary storage drive and a 320GB internal backup drive. I also have my 250GB external USB backup drive that goes in my EDC bag for security. The 250GB backup drive is almost full. I'm looking for 400-500GB as a hedge for expansion; I do not anticipate 250 or 256 being enough for much longer.
    Those look pretty useful. Thanks.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!