1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Portable Pockets - New Pocket!

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by heathah, Jan 23, 2008.

1. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

First of all, sorry for the crappy pics.

I've been wanting to work on something like this for quite some time and now that I'm finished with my M.S. Degree I've found some free time.

I've always wanted to make a portable pocket type of product that you can move from pocket to pocket among different articles of clothing. I wanted this to hold several items: a flashlight, a knife, a small multi-tool, several Atwood tools, etc. ;) So, I've been designing a variety of portable pockets that I might make some day. I was able to use some leather I had on-hand which wasn't particularly perfect for the job but would at least allow me to see what the end result might look like.

I've also tried to think of a catchy name for a product such as this but most are already taken (i.e. Porta Pocket, Pocket Pal). So, I think it would be best to leave the names for later once I actually make some of these. :)

First of all are the three items I've been playing with. From bottom to top, clockwise these will hold: 1 - three small multitools (i.e. Leatherman Squirt S4, P4, and E4) and a small AAA flashlight. This one isn't quite finished so I'm not sure what to do with the top of it. 2 - two items via lanyards in a pocket, on a belt, or around a neck. 3 - A small pouch for a variety of items with five slots for their lanyard attachments and can be carried in a pocket or around the neck.

[​IMG]

Back view of 2. It needs some finishing touches but the holes you see are for lanyard attachment points for two items.

[​IMG]

Front view of 3.

[​IMG]

Side view of 3.

[​IMG]

Side view of 2.

[​IMG]

Front view of 1 with items inserted.

[​IMG]

Another view of 1 with items inserted.

[​IMG]

Front view of 2 showing button snap where it could be attached to a belt.

[​IMG]

Back view of 2 showing the two items attached via the lanyard attachment points.

[​IMG]

Interior view of 2 showing how the lanyards could be attached. This is the cross attachment method. Another would be a parallel method using two holes vertical to each other for the two items. I think the cross method is best especially if clipping to a belt, however, I'm still unsure of its usability and security for attaching items. I also thought the snap side could be slid over an interior coat pocket to allow the two items to hang inside the pocket. The entire device could be pulled out by a lanyard attached to the device at the top.

[​IMG]

A real fuzzy pick of 3 showing items inserted.

[​IMG]

Top view of 3 showing items inserted with their lanyards attached at the lanyard attachment points.

[​IMG]

And yet another view of 3 showing the items that were in the pouch. Couldn't resist the attempt at inserting my Atwoods in it. ;)

[​IMG]

Please let me know what you think. I would like to develop some other "models" but I'm unsure if anyone would even be interested in these. This began as a personal move to find something to carry the items I want with me in a pocket but I've read and seen more lately that many other people would like something like this too. So, please let me know of any suggestions or concerns you have about these. I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has been looking for something like this and exactly what you would like it to do for you.

Thanks for looking and enjoy!

Heath

2. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Re: Portable Pockets

All I can say is...

O0

That's some nice work and some great ideas.

Have you ever considered working with Kydex?

Dan

3. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

O0 Definitely a worthy project which addresses an important EDC niche, Heath!

One challenge is to make the "pocket caddy" flexible enough to accomodate different gear when you change the light or tools you want to carry. For instance, being able to move or change the position of the dividers separating the tools in your 3-Squirt 1 flashlight pouch. Perhaps the final product could have a grid of holes so you could rethread the divider cords at will.

Congrats on finishing the M.S.

4. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

So, I've been thinking about not only portable pockets but modular portable pockets. That is when I came up with this idea:

First is my HDS EDC B42XRGT in a sheath I made tonight. Notice there's no button on the front. :)

[​IMG]

Another shot with the HDS.

[​IMG]

And another...

[​IMG]

My self-made Leatherman YTi with another sheath I made. No button on the front on this one either. ;)

[​IMG]

Another shot with my YTi.

[​IMG]

And yet another...

[​IMG]

Bit adapters to accompany my Leatherman. Notice this sheath does have a button on front. Luck bit adapters. :p

[​IMG]

Another shot with the sheath open.

[​IMG]

And another.

[​IMG]

Now, where are all these sheaths going to attach? Well, here's the attachment panel. Notice the two slits on the ends for a belt to slide through.

[​IMG]

A shot of the HDS in the sheath.

[​IMG]

And another shot of the HDS and sheath.

[​IMG]

A shot of my Leatherman YTi in the sheath.

[​IMG]

And another of the YTi and sheath.

[​IMG]

A shot of the bits and sheath. I promise...the bits are in there.

[​IMG]

See...told you so. ;D This can actually hold my cell phone too but I couldn't get a picture of that because I was taking pictures with it.

[​IMG]

A shot of the attachment panel on a belt.

[​IMG]

A shot of the end product.

[​IMG]

And last but not least, an angled shot showing how you could hang these on a pack strap.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Bruner, I have actually thought about working with kydex but I wasn't sure how much it would cost to get into that. Any info would be appreciated if anyone has any figures I could use.

Well, let me know what you think and what I need to change. ;)

Thanks.

Heath

5. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I like how the holsters are free to swivel. That makes it easier to sit down without "stabbing" the seat with the holster.

6. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Those look great Heath!

I don't know much about the costs of getting started with kydex myself, but based on your skills with leather, I'd bet you would be an ace with Kydex.

Dan

7. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

I've looked at Kydex equipment a few times, but just haven't followed through. I think you can get started with less than $200. KniveKits has a good selection of equipment and supplies, though I can't remember if their prices were the best or not. It's been a while since I looked.

8. roo

roo Empty Pockets

I would like to know more about the kydex myself. I work in telecommunications, and would like to have specialized holsters for my tools.

9. sharkytm

sharkytm Loaded Pockets

You can get started for less than $50. Knifekits' stuff is nice, but incredibly overpriced. I made my press from a $7 camping pad, a piece of cull 2x12 from Home Depot, a pair of 2x4 culls, and 2 gate hinges. I made my leatherman Surge horizontal belt sheat with it, and it works AWESOMELY well. If wanted, I can take pics of my setup (which has been partially disassembled so I can use my arbor press with it.

10. AmbuBadger

AmbuBadger Loaded Pockets

Sharkytm: I'd like to see how that turned out...

Heathah: Nice work! Thing is, I live in Hawaii, and I work outdoors... so I would have to get something in Kydex or nylon. I'm guess that would be no biggie to make, with your skills! I also like how your setup swivels, "stabbing" the seat only pushes my belt up, certainly not comfortable...

11. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Thanks!

I'm really thinking about getting some kydex equipment to see if I can do something like that. I'll let you guys know if I do eventually venture that way.

Heath

12. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I'd love to see your set up as well.

13. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I made this little guy this weekend.

Let me know what you guys think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I like it! What are the outer dimensions?

15. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Outer dimensions are:

5" tall x 4" wide

~5/8" depth at top expands to ~3/4" (Rough estimate.)

16. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

It would fit in my pockets ok with those dimensions.
    It looks considerably larger in the photo. Optical illusion, perhaps.

17. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Yeah, it's really not that big. Like a small wallet. It will easily slide in a back pocket or front pocket.

I put a Ritter Mini RSK Mk1 Knife in it in the last picture which may make it seem bigger if you were thinking it was a Full Size Ritter.

You can really fit a variety of items in it. I only made three slots since that would probably be the max you could fit and it is a round number of items I usually "need."

Typically, I have a combination of three of the following items:

1. Knife
    2. Tool
    3. Light
    4. Pen

I thought this design would incorporate the best of these combinations in the smallest package possible. My reasoning, and my preferred choice for this setup is:

In case:
    1. Tool
    2. Light
    3. Pen

w/

4. Knife clipped to pocket.

Any thoughts or suggestions are always welcome.

Thanks.

Heath

18. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

The external stitching for the dividers forms a sort of valley in between the 3 compartments. Bet you could fit a pen in the valley instead of dedicating an entire compartment to it. You would have to devise a low profile way to secure the pen in the valley -- a small loop or two of elastic or leather perhaps.

I am thinking about denser packing here.

19. Sgt. LED

Sgt. LED Empty Pockets

Very nice project!
    Keep up the good work.

20. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

very nice work, where can i send payal! J/K ... But seriously.... PM me when you're ready to start farming out some work.