1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Portable Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Grizhicks, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Grizhicks

Grizhicks Loaded Pockets

All -- Looking for info on a portable hard drive (w/o breaking the bank). I work for DoD, and they have recently banned jumpdrives (but portable hard drives are okay). Don't need a monster, something in the 1GB range would be fine. Any suggestions?? -- Thanks, Greg

2. matt0

matt0 Loaded Pockets

I don't know of any portable HD's that small. Currently, most portable HD's you can buy at a retail store will be between 160GB and 500GB. I'm sure if you check ebay you could probably find a lower capacity for less. I have a Western Digital that has been fine and both my Dell 1720 and Aspire One have Seagate drives and I have had no problems with them.

I honestly don't understand why a flash drive would be banned but an HD wouldn't...

3. NastyCop

NastyCop Loaded Pockets

Check out Maxtor's Black Armor. Very good encryption

4. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

Grizhicks, Just keep in mind that technically you're not supposed to use a personal hard drive either. There just isn't anyway for the gatekeepers to tell yet... the plan is for standard removeable hard drives (and very limited use flashdrives) that will only work on network computers. Until then, if you're a big enough kid or persuasive enough & your section/office has the money, just open purchase some portables.

The flash drives aren't the biggest problem. :censored: is trying to get a photo on the SIPR. :crazy2:

The data guys say that the network is more vulnerable to flash media.

5. Vulcan

Vulcan Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a poorly thought out security policy....ban thumb drives but allow USB external hard drives. If they decide to ban one they should ban both. Group Policy is the best way to configure this.

6. PsychoFish

PsychoFish Empty Pockets

NO kidding! The biggest thumb drive still isn't anywhere near the smallest hard drive.

I have a 300+ gig Western Digital as do a lot of the guys I work with. I love it, and use it every day. I think it was around $100

7. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Kinda odd. Banning little thumb drives but not portable drives. It should be all or nothing.

8. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

The Government agency I work for banned any usb memory device unless it is encripted. I would re-check that policy. On our side of the fence violators can get jammed pretty hard. Good luck
    !

9. Vulcan

Vulcan Loaded Pockets

Encryption is a different issue. Normally an employer has a policy on encryption of portable devices like thumb drives, laptops etc to protect the data on them in case (or when!!) they get stolen/lost. Prohibiting thumb drives etc is usually to stop people being able to copy data to them and they removing the data from the companies control (ie the guy who takes the customer list before he goes to work for the competition or to prevent industrial espionage).

10. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

Why would Military personell need to use a personal flash drive or portable hard drive on a Government PC's in the first place? What could they possibly need to take home to work on that couldn't be thought to have at least a Confidential clearance? Whatever happened to OPSEC and more importantly COMSEC?!

I worked in a Commo Vault for a year and half, when I wasn't in the "field". I saw a SFC get booted out of the Army for NOT sub hand receipting a piece of COMSEC equipment to his Lt. The Lt. lost the piece of equipment but because it was hand receipted to the SFC the buck stopped with him. Have the laws governing sensitive material became that lax, that personell are allowed to use their own personal drives? That's crazy.

Parawolfe

11. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Try a Western Digital Passport. Small and sleek and powered by the single USB connection. You shouold be able to find something in the 100 Gb range for under $50.

Or try something like the Magicstore for less than $20. It will have less capacity and use a 1 inch har drive instaed of the 2.5 inch like the Western Digital.

12. tinmaddog

tinmaddog Empty Pockets

Check out the Lacie Little Disk (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11106). A couple things I really like about it. 1) It's tiny (or the version I linked to is - they have slightly less tiny versions as well) - think a pack of cigarettes and 2) it has a built in USB cord & a cap, so it's super self contained - no need for power cords, USB cords, etc.

13. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

"The Military" is a pretty big thing with a lot of really good people, doing a lot of different things.  While classified material & that relating to Operational Security should most certainly be safeguarded, I'm not quite sure that the operation plan for the family day picnic & the like really need the same level of administrative control.  The Fitness report system is sometimes so overwhelmed that it only works after 6pm - Pacific time.  Current DOD policy is to allow goverment computers to be used for limited personal use such as correspondence, education, personal financial managment, & transition/job assistance.  I would expect that after 10-20 years of service many professionals would develop sizeable personal libraries of information, reference, past work or projects that they carry from assignment to assignment.  Even while at a current assignment dealing with those from a different service, governemnt agency, or locations-particularly austere ones, I can imagine being challenging to transfer large amounts of information in the course of their work.  I can imagine that many while having a faith in their fellow servicemembers or the contractors maintaining their data systems, most of our military professionals have the commitment & dedication to be ultimately responsible for delivering their work, wether that means maintaining accessible copies or working on their off time, even assuming that there are sufficient data assets available.  While I'm sure that you did not mean to imply anything bad, I try to be a bit understanding & not assume that others are negligent or incompetent. 

For the technical problem: my admitedly limited understanding is that systems/anti-virus can possibly be vulnerable to flash media, while external hard drives can be scanned without too much risk.  This is seperate from the human engineering component which is being dealt with by different means such as encryption, and so on. 

14. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

I'm not implying anything, I'm telling it the way it was. I served for 8 years and my last two assignments were in Special Operations units. My second was a Joint unit with all 4 branches assigned to it. I had a Communications MOS and worked around sensitive material the entire time I served. The level of that material depended on the unit I served with and the need to know. So I've had experience working with the various branches and different levels of security. If the Military doesn't allow flash drives then there is a reason for that. What is the difference between a flash drive and a portable hard drive besides the physical size and capacity? I have no problem with Military personell using PC's and the Internet for morale purposes. But I am also sure that they are on a separate network for that purpose. I do have a problem with Military personell using work PC's, that also contain classified data on them, for personal use. I suspect that is why the no flash drive policy is in place. When the use of personal equipment around work equipment that contains sensitive material becomes commonplace then things become sloppy and someone with ill intent can go unnoticed. COMSEC and OPSEC should not be taken lightly.

Parawolfe

15. sbillard

sbillard Loaded Pockets

Apart the legal aspect, any mp3 player will be able to be used as a jumdrive/harddrive. See archos media players for example (and it will allow you to look at videos and listen to music).

16. neon

neon Loaded Pockets

I second that. I have used WD Passport in the past and recently bought a new 320GB drive. They are super silent and always work on just one USB plug which is not the case with all USB hard drives. Some need more power and demand a connection on two USB ports. WD sacrified some of it's speed (which is pretty irrelevant when connecting a drive through USB port that has limitations) to have a HDD that would work on any USB and work silently without much heat.

Oh, and delete the software you get with WD. It is rubish and most of it is a demo version only. Don't even try to install it.

17. jester02k

jester02k Loaded Pockets

Do you have an old laptop around that has a hard drive?
    You can pick up a 2.5 sata case from Ebay for a few bucks (I have paid average 8 bucks) and install it presto 60 80 120 gig portable hard drive.
    Link
    Jester02k

18. Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai Empty Pockets

Do you have an iPod? If so, why not use it as a portable drive?

19. alanb

alanb Loaded Pockets

Apricorn has some amazimg tiny portable HDDs. I've been using a 60gb one for several years (5+) and cannot praise it highly enough... small (deck of cards size), light, fast, rubber amored, self-powered via USB connection.

alanb

20. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

I just bought a 500gb Western digital portable hard drive At Costco for 99.99 with a coupon. It's on their website too, but you have to pay shipping.