1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poor Man's Baby 'Benza???

Discussion in 'Knives' started by tower, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shecky

shecky Empty Pockets

Is there any indication that Sanrenmu knives are afflicted with some of these problems?

There's no doubt that bad materials make bad knives. But that isn't in question. What is the problem is we have folks willing to dismiss these knives with no experience, even no negative hearsay, about their quality. To the contrary, the anecdotes have been quite positive. Yet reluctance from some members is held so tightly that, in the absence of negative reports, rationales for dismissing the knives switches in different directions (what is this mystery steel?). The goalposts move whenever the last concern is eliminated.

Dismissing a knife because it has unknown steel, especially when reports seem to indicate that steel quality is not an issue, is snobbery. Particularly when some well respected manufacturers engage in that very practice. And in this case, it's a moot point, because the manufacturer does indicate what type of steel is used. The persons objecting simply didn't know, or didn't bother to look it up.

2. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

John, as you are owner/founder of this site, your opinion holds a good deal of sway with me. As a neophyte member, I feel as though I am a guest in your home. Respectfully, I feel that I must underscore that we are discussing a 2 3/4" bladed folding sub $10 pocket knife, not a 1/2 million dollar industrial bit which must perform a task repeatedly, thousands of times a day perfectly. Neither are we discussing a combat tactical folder nor a wilderness survival knife. I'm not sure why I find myself defending these cheapies, but the fit and finish IS quite good. If you would be kind enough to PM me with an address or PO box, it would be my distinct pleasure to gift you with one of these honeys. You may subject it to abrasives, corrosives, test its elastic limits, brittleness, perform X-ray crystallography and electrical conductivity tests on it. Feel free to completely destroy it. I take no position as to how this knife will hold up to your rigors, but with a genuinely open mind, I would be curious as to your opinion after you have had the opportunity to spend a little time with one of them. For a small pocket folder, I think you may be hard pressed to find anything of this quality under $10. JMHO.

3. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

Must say that i'm enjoying your posts Tower - very lucid!

I'm not sure of my opinion on these copies, I'm in the agreement that a $10 blade doesn't commercially threaten a $300 blade - but as I say, I'm not sure of my opinion. I personally wouldn't buy something like a Sebby, I couldn't justify the expense (especially considering the knife laws here restrict me to only carrying in the house really) and I'd be worried about damaging/losing it - so I've picked up a couple of these knives to try them out. Should make nice beaters if nothing else!

4. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I've gifted several of these to my brothers and friends, all who are KNIFE-NUTS. Everyone has been pleasantly surprised. I paid a bit more than most of the listed prices here, but still they were a GREAT deal. Initially out of the box they are a bit stiff, but with a bit of use and some oil they work very nicely.

5. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

Anyone seen the G8-710 version for sale anywhere? It's the one without the stamped-in "inlays" and the flowery pattern on the side here. I liked the smooth-sided slabs.

Noticed that Focalprice has one of the other versions of this knife as well: Folded Knife Black. This is less Sebenza-ish though, but seems to share a blade with the 710. Looking at pictures, this is the same knife that Fenix used to ship with flashlight orders.

6. xthereal

xthereal Loaded Pockets

I was looking on their website and found some info on the blade steel they use which was nice to see, here is a chart from their catalog:

[img width=640 height=109]http://fiverox.com/knife/srm_steel.gif[/img]

I found that here but it's just wholesale and looks like you have to buy a dozen.

This place has what looks to be two different smooth slab camo versions. I've never dealt with either of those sites, though.

I liked the look of the 785 with jigged bone handle, if anyone finds a place selling that I would appreciate a link

7. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Agreed. A single drop of Mobile1 goes a long way on all my folders.

8. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Handled that very knife yesterday, nice for the price, no noticeable wobbling of the blade in any direction, useably sharp out of the box, etc. etc. so so
    Now I'm really sure I wouldn't like a real baby Sebenza - too small for my hands.
    As for quality, I'm surely not bending it 17 degrees, it'll probably snap or set, no wonder. If I needed a 10-dollar blade that can be bent 17 degrees, I'll reach for any of my Moras. Wonder if they'll ever make a folder.

9. PandasInCommand

PandasInCommand Loaded Pockets

I'd chip in on a group buy!

10. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

Just a follow-up.

The two SRM - 710s arrived today.

Oh yeah, an excellent deal! Everything positive that was said about them was right on the money. They look & feel great.

For the price I paid (with free shipping), I'm going to buy two more. Btw, it took about two weeks for them to arrive. Not too shabby.

Highly recommend.

:woohoo:

11. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't buy this knife if it was the last knife on earth!! :thumbsdown: I do not and will NOT support people who STEAL other peoples designs. I do not support thieves. Clearly there are a bunch of you who do not care. And I have reported this blatant knock off to Chris Reeve. They have asked that any knock off's BE reported.

12. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Technically, hasn't anyone who produces a knife these days "stolen" someone elses' design?

13. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Does this mean that the knife police are coming to arrest me and confiscate my Umnumzaan? :fingered: :sigh: :bolt: :giddyup:

14. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

Hey TKC, I think it's great that you bought one or more of Mr. Reeve's knives for hundreds of dollars each (I'm assuming you did.), and even greater still that you've decided to work for Mr. Reeve free of charge, by promoting his brand and playing knife cop. But, really, you should learn to relax a bit. I'm sure Mr. Reeve can take care of himself.

And, *if* there was any wrongdoing, which I don't believe there is, in this case, I'm sure Mr. Reeve has made more than enough money on his over-priced blades (over-priced, in my humble opinion), to go after anyone who's committing an offense against him and/or his company.

Whew! I usually only see this sort of display (fanaticism) on brand-specific forums, like Spyderco, etc..., (no offense to Spyderco fans) . Perhaps you can sell crazy on one of those forums?

You know, on second thought, I don't think I'll buy two more SRM - 710s. I believe I'll buy four, instead.

Thanks, TKC. Please give my regards to Mr. Reeve.

:cool:

15. myke

myke Loaded Pockets

The whole knockoff knife market is funny.  I know a dealer who deals in high end automatics and customs.  He also makes almost all of his money on cheap knockoffs of those same knives.  I don't know how I feel about it...

I will say I handled a somewhat expensive automatic, about $200 dollars.  At the same time handled the cheap copy of that knife, about $20 dollars.  It that instance the cheap copy worked flawlessly and the expensive one failed to fire and had aluminum shavings all inside of it.  Like I said...not sure how I feel about it. :shrug:

16. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

Btw, an initial search indicates that these 710s have been selling for 2 or more years.

I think if something illegal had been going on, it would have been dealt with by now, either through criminal charges or civil lawsuits, of which there don't appear to be any.

Still playing with my 710.

Love it!

:roof:

Note: My feedback regarding the Sanrenmu 710 is meant to reflect on a great value, more than on the specific brand of the knife. I don't want to be seen as a Sanrenmu fanatic. However, I am a fan of good deals.

17. Eclipse159

Eclipse159 Loaded Pockets

18. Jakpro

Jakpro Loaded Pockets

The fact that illegal copying happens in many industries does not make it legal. China will not do anything to support copyright infringement, trademark infringement, or the violation of intellectual property. Companies know that it is a waste of time and money to even pursue it.

It is wrong and anyone who knowingly purchases those products is supporting those business practices. Each person has the right to do what they wish with their money, but I will not buy this crap.

19. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

The only thing "knowingly" going on here is the availability of a great knife at a great price.

If companies don't want to waste time and money to pursue something, why should we? We don't work for, and are not paid by, those companies.

It's bad enough being overcharged for something that's no where near worth the asking price. Now, we're expected to work for that company without getting paid, too, by looking out for their interests and, in the case of Reeves (if what TKC is saying is correct, that they've asked that any knock-offs be reported to them), have us report other companies to them that we believe are involved in something questionable? What kind of sick joke is that?

I do agree with one thing, "each person has the right to do what they wish with their money". And, if they want to work for a company without getting paid, after already paying too much for a knife, hey, they can certainly do that, too. With all that effort, what will the price of that knife come out to for them, $2,500., for a knife that was originally priced at $500, but is really only worth $200-$300 (in my opinion)?

Cool! Maybe once those folks are done doing all that work for free, they can come mow my lawn, too. :lolhammer:

Here's an article I found interesting, regarding Sebenzas priced at $300:

http://www.knivesjournal.com/is-a-sebenza-worth-300/

Now, please keep in mind that the article actually speaks highly of the brand. However, there was one section that caught my attention. If it's accurate, I think it says a lot about how much a $300 Sebenza is actually worth.

"First of all, Chris Reeve Knives uses a legal form of price fixing to keep the Sebenza prices standardized. While most knife companies allow the dealers to set their own price, the super premium companies (such as CRK, Strider, William Henry) want to maintain their brand identidy [sic]. Chris Reeve only supplies knives to licensed dealers, and dealers have to sell the knives at the price that CRK sets. If a dealer undercuts the competition, CRK will not supply them with any more knives."

So, dealers could sell a Sebenza for less and still turn a profit, if allowed? How low could they go if they weren't locked into a pricing agreement? How much money could we save?

Basically, the way I see it, as long as this company got whatever dealer cost/price was set (wholesaled) for the knives, and if the dealer was willing to settle for less profit, a Sebenza could be sold for much less and it wouldn't take a cent out of that company's pocket? Interesting. Not surprising, but interesting.

:-X

20. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Dealers can sell anything for less and still turn a profit. It is not uncommon for higher end products to have higher profit margins. It comes with the territory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.