1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poly looks for a watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Polygeist, Jul 10, 2010.

1. farang

farang Empty Pockets

My Lorus sports 10 BAR alram ( chrono ) although it does not look like the traditional chrono because the stop watch is in a small digital window at the bottom along with date, alarm,light and the rest of the dial is analogue so its an analogue/digital chrono and I've had it for about 6 years and it probably has about a couple years left,I've replaced the battery 3 times in that period,it keeps excellent time and the LORUS lumibright is still OK( even though its not Tritium) however it does use a China movement and I doubt it will still be working in another 10 years.. but you never know, I do take it off if I go swimming/shower etc because it still has the original gaskets and they could do with replacing, the LORUS is a good watch for EDC, if I scratch it up a bit I'm not too fussed but its not an amazing watch.. if I wanted amazing I would go Swiss, or Japanese.....

2. MikeN

MikeN Loaded Pockets

So, did you get it it, like it? I was looking at the Decker also, but was thinking of getting the vinyl band version and doing my own band with paracord, etc. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003445BNA?ie=UTF8&tag=clubgpgpownersco&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003445BNA

3. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

4. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Third time's a charm. FedEx finally found my house. I didn't want to mention it here before it got here. Now it did!

[​IMG]

I got the Pulsar I was looking at. I've worn it to work twice now, and it works great.

[​IMG]

pic linked for size

I'm thinking about getting a Maratac band for it. The stock band it designed like the NATO band with the case slide prevention bit. The Maratac bands might be more comfortable.

5. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

O0 Congrats!

6. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Here's something that I didn't think about earlier. At work, I often get my hands wet, and the nylon of the band absorbs the water. It dries out fairly quickly, but I think I'd rather get a band material that doesn't absorb water. So, what watch band material is good for working around water? I'm thinking leather, but I'd like to get the opinion of others too. I like the look and feel of matte finished leather over the glossy kind. My brother also brought up the notion that water might work to deteriorate leather if it wasn't perhaps sealed or coated. I don't know much about different types of leather. Is water bad for certain types of leather?

For reference, this is what I'm thinking when I say matte leather:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

as opposed to glossy, like this:

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all the help, you guys.

7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Leather wound't be my first choice, if you get it wet on a regular basis you really need to put some proper maintenance in it or it will get fugly soon.

How bout silicone? Wipe and its dry, its cheap and you can get it in many many styles....

Check out this site:
    http://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-s313h304-Watch-bands-20mm.html

They sell army:
    [​IMG]

Plain simple:
    [​IMG]

Extreme tacticool;
    [​IMG]

And something that even looks classy...
    [​IMG]

Designs, colors, your choices are endless and the best thing is that every strap gives your watch a completely new and fresh look!

You could also consider a metal band btw......

8. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reference, Westerdutch. I found on that site a material called Lorica which is appearently a synthetic, waterproof pleather. Is that worth considering?

9. Westerdutch

I never heard that name as a material before ;) But if its synthetic you're half way there! One thing to keep in mind that even if synthetics themselves do not suck up water as material property if you weave or braid it or whatever water will get absorbed in some form between the fibers... So your best bet if you want to be able to dry it with a single towel-swipe is to get a as solid rubber or synthetic strap as possible. I for example love wearing my T-SAR on a NATO but when i know i will get it soaking wet (swimming/rain/whatever) ill put the original marathon rubber strap back on.

10. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I just thought of something. A metal band might be a good option. The main thing I don't like about a metal band is the weight. But the lightness of titanium or aluminum might solve this. How's the weight difference between stainless steel and those two? And which is lighter: titanium or aluminum?

11. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Well, I just pulled the trigger on some Maratac bands to try out.

The most promising looks like the Maratac Elite Composite strap (white stitching on black). They're keeping it a secret exactly what it's made out of, but all reports indicate that it's a synthetic, rubbery material. Here's the official description (I kid you not: this is written on BroadArrow.net/maratac):

[​IMG]\

Video review (starting around 1:20)

I also picked up Maratac's silicone band (black). What's really nice about the design, to me, is the deployment clasp as seen on most metal bracelets. I like the closure method, and I think it adds great utility in the form of speed in donning/doffing (if I may borrow the terms) plus a healthy amount of second-kind-of-cool.

[​IMG]

I also got a Maratac Military band (gray). It's a one-piece nylon band without the slide prevention strap and a fabric strap-end holder instead of the metal loops. I wanted it just to see what my watch was like on a quality nylon band. I'll keep it around for use outside of work or when I might want to keep the others nicer. Besides, at $9, why not?

[​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if my preferred band is one of these. If not, the other materials I'm considering are sailcloth, Lorica, metal, and possibly carbon fiber.

12. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

As for titanium vs aluminum:

http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele022.html

I'm looking forward to see a pic of the pulsar with the maratac elite!

13. Westerdutch

Ohhhhhh that elite looks schweeeet! I want one now :D

14. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Here's pics!

[​IMG]

Look at my hairy wrist!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm actually liking the silicone band. That's what my watch is on now. I'll keep testing it out for a while and switch to the Elite later to test it more. Manipulating spring bars is actually fairly easy and fun even without the proper tool. Tiny flathead screwdrivers work just fine!

15. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

That little Pulsar has the rare quality to look good with every strap you fit it to!

I really like the Maratac Elite combo :smitten: