1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poly looks for a watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Polygeist, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I just mean the second hand corresponding to the normal movement (continuous) as opposed to the chronograph. What you said.

I don't know a whole lot about Citizen's Eco-Drive, but it seems like a reliable, practically perpetual energy source. I've seen it featured on plenty of watches worn by members here, so it must not be bad, eh? Does anyone know about its longterm durability years down the road?

Out of curiosity, this is still classified as a quartz movement, isn't it?

2. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Eco-Drive is quartz. I have one that has run continuously since 1998, though. I have three Eco-dirves and two Seiko Kinetics that I rotate daily. Much more accurate than my automatics.

3. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I'll have to go by a Feddie's some time. They're an authorized dealer of Seiko and Citizen.

Do you think I have a chance of finding this model of Citizen in stores (just so I can see it in person), or does Citizen rotate its production like Lüm Tec?

EDIT: Nevermind what I said about that Citizen's price. Google tells me it can be had online for $107 shipped.

4. farang

farang Empty Pockets

I have heard good things about the ECO-DRIVES, they are way more advanced than just a solar recharge type watch, the ECO drive was designed to last for many many years...and yes because it takes light and changes that into a charge it would be considered a quartz movement, there is NO rotor like an Auto winding the main spring...that's a nice watch you have shown.. although me personally I would rather it had a satin finish to the case so its not so shiny but thats just a personal thing... if someone gave me that watch and would be glad to wear it :)

5. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I've been reading the reviews of this Citizen watch on Amazon. They are mostly positive and boast it as a great value watch. It's claimed repeatedly to be a great watch for the money. But there's a feeling of it being an econo-watch, and there are a few design letdowns repeated by reviews (weak lum, chrono's minute hand hard to read, bad stock strap). I realize that my tastes are getting more expensive, but I think I'd rather pay the money and get a watch I'd never have to worry about again.

Can anyone suggest a watch with similar features that's a "step up" in quality?

Here's things I'd like in my watch:
    Chronograph (preferably with sub-second counter and hour counter for more than 1 hour max)
    Date
    Thin case (11mm or less)
    Enumerated chapter markers (not just dots or dashes but numbers)
    Scratch resistant glass (mineral glass seems adequate. Sapphire would be a plus)
    Lugs that accommodate changing the band (no metal bands)
    High legibility
    Lum is a plus

Even if a nicer watch would be too much money, I'd like to see what's out there. Suggestions in the $100 price range would be nice, but feel free to go above that. I might end up sticking with the AT0200-05E, but, like I said, I'd like to explore my options.

6. farang

farang Empty Pockets

I'll have a geeza around for you but what you are roughly describing here in Oz would set you back around $300-400, and I would def go with a saphire crystal other wise a week down the track it will come in contact with a brick wall or part of a car and mark up.. those small scratches will soon end up annoying you, (you can buff plexi but its hard to buff out glass) if you can get a Seiko Chrono with saphire crystal for under $200 I would grab it and if you look after it and not misstreat it you will get 10+ years out of it (mechanical Auto with servicing every 3 years, you would get 30 years+).. like i said before I have a vintage Seiko from 1972 (not the Bell) thats had about 4 services in its life and keeps excellent time...happy watch hunting :)

7. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

as to the fossil's;

i used to moonlight as a night guard at an upscale dept. store in pgh and in the mornings we did access control for the employee entrance and it was our discretion whether or not to allow company reps access to the store pre-opening for restock, etc. the fine jewelery reps never came around that early but the folks from swatch and fossil, etc would. they would usually give us samples in exchange for access, so i have a bucket of older [early 90's to mid 90's] fossil and swatch watches. the fossils usually didn't have a good rep with us as they usually died in pretty short order.

I wouldn't pay very much for one and wouldn't trust it much if i did buy one!

8. farang

farang Empty Pockets

The Seiko maybe around $250-$400 and the Breitlingnav prob. around $2000-3000 ( thousand)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

9. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

Some suggestions:

Seiko SNDA57P1 (the one you posted above)

Seiko SNDA83P1
    [​IMG]

Seiko SND097
    [​IMG]

Seiko SND377
    [​IMG]

Seiko SNN079
    [​IMG]

Seiko SNN225
    [​IMG]

Seiko SBPP005
    [​IMG]

Citizen AT0660-56E
    [​IMG]

All of these have standard lugs

10. farang

farang Empty Pockets

really like the SND377 with the olive/green nato style strap... not a huge chrono fan but that one is very nice....

11. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Thanks, Photomic. That's exactly what I wanted.

I'm really liking that Seiko SBPP005. It's very big at 41mm (diameter, w/o crown) but it would probably look okay. I have about 7.25 inch wrists. I think it would pair perfectly with a Maratac black and gray striped band. Sapphire window, alarm (more useful than a 24hr indicator) and chronograph (looks like 60min max but I'm definitely okay with that).

Here's a video of it that I found (it's the first watch displayed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAQ_wVq4ocU

What do you guys think? The Seiko SBPP005 represents, I think, one step up in quality and utility from the Citizen AT0200-05E. That Seiko is more spendy, but it might be worth it to me.

Seiko SBPP005
    [​IMG]

Citizen AT0200-05E
    [​IMG]

12. farang

farang Empty Pockets

very hard choice..I'm a Seiko man and believe Seiko to be better in quality.. however I really like the Citizen's vintage style military dial, with big mil. numbers with dot lume and knurling on the crown...if you want last-ability Seiko...but I think the Eco-drive pips it at the post in looks...up to you...you have to wear it every day...both are good watch brands...?

13. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I burn. I pine. I perish.
    [​IMG]

This is, apparently, a rare Seiko since it's a Power Design Project creation. It's produced and regularly sold only domestically in Japan. I'm not going to find it in stores locally to see it in person.

But I did find it on eBay (with the fabric strap which I like). This is also the lowest I've seen it being sold for, especially NIB.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250574913333&Category=31387&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_3975wt_708

I love the visual appearance of this watch so much. The chapter numbers (except for 0600, 0900, and 1200 which is okay), the minute numbers, the unobtrusive yet clear subdials. Can anyone suggest another watch with similar aesthetics (especially a Seiko) before I spend $450 on a watch?

14. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

It pays to obsessively hunt through the interwebs. I might have found a balance.

What do we know about Pulsar? Anecdotes indicate the company is on par with Seiko (makes sense, since they're basically the same company).

I found the Pulsar PJN305 (or PJN299 which has a black stock strap).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Features:
    1/10 second chrono (60 minute max)
    Uses subdial for chrono's second counter (large hand is continuous)
    Nice, large date window
    Mineral glass
    Quartz movement
    11mm thickness. 40mm diameter.
    20mm lugs
    weak lum
    Some reports of continuous second hand not lining up with markings

Looks like a more than serviceable watch for a great price. I like the visual aesthetics, the function, and the price.

I'm actually having trouble finding one on the primary market (at least in my short search so far). Talk on watch forums say it has gone for £40 ($62) at a local brick & mortar in Britain.

Here's the forums I've been reading:
    TZ-UK forum
    WatchUSeek: Pilots' and Military Watchs Forum

15. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

Pulsar is a brand owned by Seiko, they are great watches (when I made the list I forgot to look for these too:doh:). Maybe even Lorus has a comparable model...

Pulsar, Lorus, Alba and Wired are all Seiko brands.
    Orient Watches is owned by Seiko but is an independent company.

16. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

In your shoes I would go for Lorus.I own the model RM357AX9 and it is very good.It has 100m water resistance, all stainless steel and with cronograph and date window. I got at a reasonable price of about 66 USD 2 years ago and the prices for this brand haven't gone up since then.

17. farang

farang Empty Pockets

Yes you can get some cheap Pulsar and Lorus chrono's ( I also own a Lorus) and they are half the price of a Seiko and maybe owned by Seiko but they are not Seiko's if you get my drift...The Pulsar and Lorus will tend to use a China movement.. and you will get a good watch that may last you 5 years or more for around $100 but it's no family heirloom... but if your on a tight budget and just need something for about 5 years then grab a Lorus chrono...

18. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Ah. That's exactly the concern I started to think about after looking into Pulsar and Lorus: is this thing going to be with me 20 (etc.) years from now? The moderately reliable but not very durable Pulsars and the like might be great for the man who already has a collection or a rotation of good watches and is looking for something new. But I'm looking for my first primary EDC watch. So maybe Pulsar isn't a good option.

Out of curiosity, how long have you owned your Lorus, farang?

19. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

Personally I don't see why a watch with a China movement shouldn't last 20+ years with good care and servicing for the battery.In my opinion, as long as you use the watch as intended, there shouldn't be a problem.

20. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I visited Fred Meyer's Jewelers today. They had a Seiko SNDA65 there which I looked at and tried on. It seems so much different in person compared to the pictures I've seen online. I thought the enlarged numbers at 12, 3, 6, and 9 would bug me, but they didn't. And even though the case is listed as 42mm diameter, it didn't look or feel big at all. That and it is incredibly light. I guess I'm just used to my clunky Fossil Big Tic. I also learned I don't like black finished cases. It's a fine watch indeed: I'd just seen the brushed steel version (SNDA57P1).

I've decided the Seiko Spirit SBPP005 is too low value. Out of my price range especially with the cheaper and equally suitable alternatives out there.

The Pulsar PJN305 is still an option. I'm sure it will be durable enough for my uses. Even if it does fail after five years or so, it would be worth getting.

The styles and functions of the Seiko SNDA57P1 and the Pulsar PJN305 are very similar, though I like the looks of the Pulsar better. The Seiko is on eBay for $130, and I'm still having a hard time finding the Pulsar though I think I've seen it for about £74 ($116). I wish I could see a Pulsar PJN305 in person...