1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poly looks for a watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Polygeist, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I saw two people in the "Watcha wearing?" thread with the Nixon Scout watch and really liked the design. The band extending wider than the face seems like it would be very comfortable, and it looks cool in my opinion.

Are there many watches out there with this band style? I'd like to see what options there are with this design feature. Also, a canvas or nylon band is preferable: I don't want a leather band. One with a sweeping rather than ticking second hand would be an added bonus, but I'm probably pushing my luck looking for that.

In my own short search, I found the Vestal Legionnaire:
    [​IMG]

2. somber

somber Banned

That's a bracelet that happens to tell time.

3. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

do a Google search for "bund watch strap". a traditionally military style strap where the "pad" area under the watch is wider than the watch. also good for giving vintage size watches (34-38mm) more wrist presence.

4. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Hmmm. Thanks for the idea, RGNY, but I'd rather have a canvas/nylon, straight band.

A bracelet that tells time. I like that: sounds more comfortable than a "watch" to me. :boing:

5. somber

somber Banned

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I wear 43/44mm watches, I suppose I don't need more wrist presence...
    I'd look like I sprained my wrist.

6. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

7. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I found they tend to raise the watch higher off the wrist, causing me to smash the watch into more things like doorways and walls. A high watch height is undesirable, especially with long sleeves.

8. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

To what are you referring by "they?" Double banded watches? Fossil CH2499/CH2598 models?

This watch (CH2599) is on the thick side. The case thickness is 13mm which I don't think is extraordinary. Then the leather gives it a few more millimeters. I really like the chronograph function. I still don't know if the size is worth that.

Any other suggestions for double banded watches or watches with some material behind the case?

More pretty pictures!
    [​IMG]

9. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

"They" = watches with Bund-type straps. Since I don't see any advantage to the strap behind the watch, it has no positives and one significant negative. I have no experience with that particular Fossil watch.

As others have said, you can just buy a Bund strap for any watch. If you just want material behind the watch head, one-piece military straps, NATO straps, Zulus, etc. fit into the same category also.

10. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

What is common for the thickness of a watch case? I'd just like to see how this one at 13mm compares to others.

EDIT:
    After cruising the interwebs further, I realized that Fossil is not the only company to make chronograph watches. There are watches by other companies that have the exact same subdial layout for the chronograph function. I know: I'm new to watches. At this point, the chronograph is what largely interests me in the watch I've mentioned.

So, can anyone recommend me a watch with this chronograph layout (two seconds at 1200, minute at 0600, hour at 0900)? I think a NATO band or something similar might be just as useful, or more so, than what I've been looking at. And a case thinner than 13mm would be very nice.

11. somber

somber Banned

Just so you know, a chronograph is a stop watch with the seconds being displayed in a subdial, and the large second hand displaying a stopwatch function. And Fossil is definitely not the only company to make chronographs, and in fact, it would be safe to say that they incorporate a lot of their designs from other brands in a cheaper package. Much like and Invicta to Rolex, Fossil is definitely not leading the pack in creating 'new ideas' in the watch world, most of it has already been done before, and a lot of the new development has to do directly with the development of more accurate movements or different types of drives or tourbillons.

12. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I've read some unfavorable reviews about the reliability of the movement of some Fossil watches. I thought Fossil was a good company. They may not be the worst, but they don't seem to be the best choice.

I'd still like to explore the option of getting a chronograph watch for now. So who makes some awesome chronograph watches? Who's Fossil copying?

13. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I'm liking this Seiko. Its model number is SNDA57P1. 11mm case thickness. I love the minimalistic case in matte steel.

[​IMG]

On a leather bund strap:
    [​IMG]

Brief review video (by a Brit)

14. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

i like the bund strap style and am currently using a Timex premium series chronograph in all black with white lettering and mounted on a bund style band i got from a freestyle brand watch i bought at a store closeout. the watch died in a few months but the band soldiers on! the Timex is available on amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SZMMXU/ref=oss_product Timex Men's T42351 Expedition Premium Collection Chronograph Watch

that's a really nice seiko too, real clean look!

15. farang

farang Empty Pockets

Fossil...is more of a fasion watch and I would steer clear If I was you...there are many watch co. that make chrono's, Seiko being one..is there any reason why you MUST have a chrono...? Seiko is an excellent brand, I have a bout 8 in my collection (3 bellmatics, one I sent away to get replated in gold and I'm taking that one to the grave) I also have some early 1970-75 Seiko that are just as good as the day they came out of the factory and still keeping excellent time... you have to be aware that if you buy a Chrono and it breaks after the warranty expires, some watchmakers will be very reluctant to try and repair due to the complex movement... however if you bought a Seiko Chrono youucould always send it back to Seiko for service and repair (not that cheap though).. before you buy a watch think...How long as this company been making and perfecting watches? Seiko.. a long time, Rolex ..a long time, Elgin.. long time etc..

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

top one is a rare gold plated early 70's "Bellmatic"and bottom one is 1972 Seiko Auto with new Seiko 5 GP band.. both these watches are older than me and keep perfect time..don't mean to sound like a Seiko ad...but they are the best watch to come out of Japan..

16. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I want a chronograph watch because the prospect of owning one is enjoyable to me. Mechanical ingenuity fascinates me, and the chronograph dials are a visibly appreciable example of such in addition to the standard function of a watch. Besides, sometimes it's useful to have a stopwatch. But mostly it's a second kind of cool that attracts me.

Basically, the same reasons most people on this forum want shiny new EDC gear.

The Seiko chronographs are a little more expensive than I imagined spending on a watch at the outset of this plan. I'll wait at least until the next cycle of payroll before pulling the trigger.

This thread has been helpful to me so far. Thanks, guys. Any other suggestions?

17. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

I believe Polygeist is searching for a quartz chrono (mechanical ones cost 10X more than what he is willing to spend), when something break on a quartz chrono is cheaper to buy a replacement movement than repairing it.

The Fossil has a good design and the caliber inside is most likely a Miyota(Citizen) one, so I wouldn't worry much about durability or replacements availability;
    but Poly should examine the other variables: case fit&finish, waterproofness (is only 50m but are they effective or a bath in a bucket will kill it?), what material is the crystal, is it scratchproof?
    and here only someone who own the actual watch can give you answers :) (and I couldn't find a single review yet)

18. farang

farang Empty Pockets

Yes I think your right.. I thought he was after an Auto Chrono but a quartz will drop the price...in Australia around the $300-$500 range..Poly while you save check out as many watch/ jewelry shops as possible sometimes you will come across a great "sale"chrono, I still recomend Seiko or Citizen or the likes and I can understand your interest in mechanical ingenuity... if you ever get the chance to look at a "Bellmatic"movement (with mechanical alarm..yes thats right mechanical alarm not battery operated!...you should have a geeza).. good luck with choosing the right watch and when you do please post some pics so we can all see whatya wearing.. ;)

19. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

I'd be more than willing spend the money on this lovely Citizen. Eco-drive, 60min max chronograph, 24-hour indicator, hackable continuous second hand, high legibility, hand and chapter marker lum, and 10mm (!) thickness! I love just about every part of it.

Model number AT0200-05E

From what I'm seeing, it's around the $160 price point.

http://www.deego.co.uk/web/watches/images/citizen02b.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71KWbLgGZFL.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61%2B8U12sFPL.jpg

Rule #3
    Regards,
    --Boy SureFire
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. somber

somber Banned

That's a great looking watch indeed!

Hackable means that when you pull the crown the second hand stops until you press the crown back in, so I'm not sure what a hackable continuous second hand is.

Good choice, great looking watch!