1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poll: Which pack is the best of these 3? Riftcore, Dragon Egg, and Tactix .5 day

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by bmvanthiel, Aug 5, 2020.

?

Which pack do you think is best?

1. Maxpedition Riftcore

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Direct Action Dragon Egg

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. First Tactical Tactix .5 day pack

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. bmvanthiel

bmvanthiel Empty Pockets

Hi everyone,

New hear and wanted to poll the crowd with a very tough decision I am having.

I am looking at getting a new pack and have it narrowed down to 3 packs. The Maxpedition RiftCore, Direct Action Dragon Egg, and First Tactical Tactix .5 day pack. I have done quite a bit of research reading reviews, watching youtube video after youtube video(and even re-watching them), and now skimming forums to see if something can separate these.

The main purpose of this new pack would be for day hikes and traveling(airplane carry on and weekend trips)

Let me know what you think of these packs and any advice you have. Thanks in advance!

2. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I can't really say which is best, given that I have no experience with any of them. However, I've been carrying a Maxpedition Riftpoint (the smaller 15L pack to your Riftcore option) and have been entirely pleased with it. The nylon feels rather thick and durable, the stitching is pretty solid and it's got plenty of organization for it's size. It's my second Maxped pack, the first being the small Fatboy that lasted me over 3 years of daily carry and showed no wear whatsoever outside of color fade due to sun exposure. That's why it's the brand I typically recommend when people ask me about quality bags.

I'm sure there are other quality bag makers out there, and I have no personal tie to Maxpedition: I just make the recommendation based on my own first-hand experience.

bmvanthiel likes this.
  3. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

I love my Tactix .5 pack. Lots of organization and very very sturdy. I bought two, one black and one Coyote.

I use the black one as a primary duty bag and I modified it with a couple of Kong Frog clamps to attach to the passenger seat headrest. Works flawlessly. I love the clamshell opening and it makes it way easier to pack and unpack.

The coyote one I use for when I’m not working the streets, I work part time in a Fire Dispatch office and use it for that purpose. This is where the clamshell makes it easy, I open it and load it up with whatever project stuff I need for the night be it gun cleaning equipment or media and hard drives for some computer work I do. Works perfectly.

In the rear compartment of both bags (known as the pass through area) it perfectly fits a 24hr Rigid Loop panel from Recycled Firefighter and attached to this I keep a Map Sleeve from Zulu Nylon Gear which holds some paperwork or whatever documents I’m transporting from work to home.

Great bag and I’ve owned the black one for two years and it still looks brand new, even after being a police duty bag for the last 5 months.

That’s my two cents.[​IMG]

DSRacing and bmvanthiel like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

1st Tactical has a pretty decent sale going o this weekend too on a few packs,worth checking out!

bmvanthiel likes this.
  5. bmvanthiel

bmvanthiel Empty Pockets

Thanks for the info! That's nice to know about the 24hr rigid loop panel.

With the Tactix .5 pack, how is the "velcro" in the main compartment on the backside? The large portion of loop. I've read some reviews that state it doesn't work well. I think I remember reading too that it isn't full on loop but some kind of cheaper knock off or something? Is any of that true with your experience?

Ideally, I have a number of pouches I would like to attach to this back portion as I thought that was a really cool feature in the pack. If they do not attach well and/or fall off occasionally, that'd be kind of a bummer.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It sucks in mine for sure.

7. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

It’s true it is not full on loop Velcro, more a velour feel, it won’t hold heavy stuff like a loaded radio pouch or a loaded baton pouch, but it will hold small things like patches just fine. Mine holds a Zulu Nylon Gear Pen Stakerz up top, a few patches, and a Blue Force Gear Dapper Admin Pouch. None of these have come off at all. You just need to press it on and rub it around to make sure the loop attaches solid.

[​IMG]

8. Katjang1

Katjang1 Loaded Pockets

I love my Maxpedition Riftcore for it’s ruggedness, it’s organization and design. It’s a modern ‘tactical’ pack but doesn’t necessarily screams and shouts Operator! In my opinion. The mix between 500 and 1000d nylon looks great and makes for a lighter but still rugged pack. The only issue I have with Maxpedition gear is how much they cost. The prices a high compared to many other brands but in all fairness, Maxpedition gear lasts for a long long time.