1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poll, What is the most you usually consider dropping on a knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Ippon, Jan 6, 2017.

?

What is your usual max 1 knife budget?

1. 500 or more

12 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. 400

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. 300

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. 250

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. 200

21 vote(s)
    17.8%
  6. 150

25 vote(s)
    21.2%
  7. 100

34 vote(s)
    28.8%
  8. 50

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. less than 50

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I voted $200, but in reality it's probably more like between $150-200. To me a knife is a tool meant to be used, although I do love the form factor element of knives. I just can't get past the fear of damage with a knife costing more than this.

Ahem, now firearms on the other hand, well...those are a WHOLE different story!!! (Just ask my wife...errr, wait, disregard that idea!) :smile_coffee:

aicolainen likes this.
  2. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I usually keep it under $100 and answered that on this poll. I did manage to get my first Microtech today for $100, so I wait for good deals and bargains. I was waiting for this one for 10 years. Always wanted an auto, but couldn't stand the prices and the fact I couldn't even carry it if I spent it. well now that it's legal to carry, why not?

Then I remembered that I spent close to $450 on a custom kitchen knife. It's made of handmade damascus with a handle put on by a good friend and skilled craftsman. I use the thing every :censored: day, and it really, honestly makes chopping stuff for cooking enjoyable. I have a smaller one that was $250 or so and it's absolutely worth every penny. we use it every day, for everything we cut.

but that's crazy.

3. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

For me this is sort of a loaded question. I could answer it with a question "What knife is for sale?"

I don't think I could ever spend a grand on any knife unless I had 100% input on the design and materials, but even then it would come down to having the cash. But, if the combination of steel and materials a and design hits that sweet spot, my willingness to pay increases.

DocHoliday likes this.
  4. ThaMac
    • +3 Supporter

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

There a way to have a real poll here? Like with voting for a range? Anyone able to pull that off?

Plus I'd have to correct my number way up.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

When you create a new thread you're given the chance to include a poll. All sorts of options. Actually quite easy to do.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

I said $400. It all depends on what its for and the maker. I got lucky and got a ZT 0777 but I got it for a steal and sold it off for more.

I have a few Busse knives which are my most expensive. Around $400 ea. But they have not been used yet. I'd spend $400 on a folder if there was one I liked enough to buy.

7. ThaMac
    • +3 Supporter

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Thought that someone was able to add a real poll here. That'd be great.

8. lessershoe

lessershoe Loaded Pockets

Interesting question, for me $500 is the most I would be able to spend on a production knife.

CRK, Microtech, Hinderer, Spyderco, ZT, Benchmade cap out on base models at that range. If you spend more it is for embellishments. And if I was to spend over $500 it would be on a custom.

Custom, haven't gone there yet but there are some I can see and understand the price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

I wonder how many people understand the distinction between good & expensive?

lessershoe likes this.
  10. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

While $150 is my max cap, I don't usually spend over $100. Anything over $100 and I might feel bad if I have to hard use a knife. I'll feel even worse if I lose it. $100 - $150 is a cost I can recoup.

A.B. likes this.
  11. Donut
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Donut Loaded Pockets

I say $200, but I would say $150 is the point where I really start thinking about if I should really consider it or not.

12. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

When I was single: $200.

After marriage $50, anything more better consult the wife first!

A.B. and Adahn like this.
  13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Kudos. I think you just summarized one of the finest arguments AGAINST marriage! Speaking as an old married guy myself of course... LOL

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Adahn, A.B. and FLbeachbum like this.
  14. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Price is of course of importance. But I think that a $200 folder is rediculous when I can make due with a 10 dollar mora for heavy duty use

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

15. ThaMac
    • +3 Supporter

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Works differently here. When I see an expensive knife and I hesitate, my wife encourages me to buy it. She's all about me getting it.

But now I am out of the rat race. Down to ten and two more to sell. That'll leave me with THE three, a PM2 workhorse and five sentimental ones.

aicolainen likes this.
  16. ThaMac
    • +3 Supporter

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Maybe it is. But so are many other things in life. As long as I am not in debt and have a little cushion, I go for it. But on the other hand I am frugal with a lot of other things. Like a car for me is not important. Mine is very small. Parks easy in the city and the company pays for it. I don't want/need a luxury whip. Same goes for my apartment and such.

Glad we are all different, that makes things interesting.

17. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Agree with @ThaMac, spend money on the things that bring you joy, be it knives, travel, watches or whatever, but don't spend more than you have.
    I hit the knife game pretty hard and bought a lot in the beginning (about 2 years ago, ha ha). That gave me experience with a broad range of makers, models and mechanisms. Now I'm mostly downsizing and consolidating my collection.
    I probably lost some money along the way, but not much. Some knives are hard to find in Norway and the knives I buy abroad I can often sell for the same price after some use.

My experience so far is that folders to me is more of a personal item that can also be used as a tool. None of them see any hard use, so the ones that I tend to like and actually carry are often on the more expensive side. As boring and unoriginal as it may seem, my favorite to date is the slightly overpriced Small Sebenza. I don't see myself ever spending that much money on a knife again, but I'm also glad I decided to do it this one time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

When I was single, I was buying rare sebenzas over $1000.
    Now that I have a GF and a jeep, $0.

Luckily I still have some knives.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  19. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I'm a little surprised at the responses in this thread. Since we are all on a forum about knives and gear and care enough to go through the effort of reading posts and posting ourselves I'm surprised at the low dollar value knife lovers are willing to spend. I would have thought people who view a knife as just a tool would not be interested in posting about it. I would not join a forum to talk about my hammer or drill. I get that one has to stay within their means so some expensive knives are out of reach. Anyway, to each their own. We're all different and that keeps it interesting. For me the dollar amount depends on the knife. I own some over $1000 and typically carry one over $500. If I really love the knife I will cut back in whatever areas I have to to save and buy it. My Jeep also sucks some of the budget so I hear you smokingfish. And yes I am married! Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#99 CV801, Sep 15, 2017 at 6:58 AM
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 at 7:41 AM
    aicolainen and Moshe ben David like this.