1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poll, What is the most you usually consider dropping on a knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Ippon, Jan 6, 2017.

?

What is your usual max 1 knife budget?

1. 500 or more

14 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. 400

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. 300

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. 250

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. 200

22 vote(s)
    17.5%
  6. 150

26 vote(s)
    20.6%
  7. 100

34 vote(s)
    27.0%
  8. 50

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  9. less than 50

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. Ray Loftis

Ray Loftis Loaded Pockets

Selective memory .I was thinking almost $200.00, but I must admit after further review: almost $300.00 I hope the desire doesn't draw it higher.
    I'm not selling any knives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

$150 is about as high as I'd be comfortable spending. Thankfully there's a number of Spydercos that fit my price range and needs as far as blade length. A bit more if I wait for used ones on B/S/T, too.

3. Loc-Nar

Loc-Nar Loaded Pockets

Funny thing is that's the one knife I've tried to talk myself into buying several times. Probably the only knife I would consider dropping the cash on cause I've heard nothing but stellar feedback on them.

4. chotu

chotu Loaded Pockets

I have expensive taste when it comes to knives. Even my small neck carry EDC amsler atom was over $200

Ray Loftis likes this.
  5. NOST

NOST Empty Pockets

Great forum and good points made here!
    The most Ive ever spent on a knife was $1850. It was a lesson in "price does not equal quality" To be honest, I think Spyderco offers the best bang for the buck. I usually stick to the $230-$700 range in my quest to find my "grail" knife. Ive bought and sold many and I have my 3 favorites. (folders)

CRK large insingo w/macarta inlay
    Hinderer XM-18 spanto
    Strider SMF monkey edge edition in 3V

I think the Strider is my favorite but the CRK spends more time in the pocket. Ive tested them all in task while fishing, camping here in Alaska and when Ive brought the Strider or Hinderer, Ive always wished I had the CRK. (It cuts.) The thinner blade out preforms the pry-bars with an edge.....all of my back-ups are Spyderco's. Ive come to the conclusion that carrying two knives is best, a small "slicy" folder, and a bush craft sized fixed blade, however while toggling between city life and the wilderness of Alaska, a fixed blade is not always easy to EDC. This is where the SMF steps in as an all around do-all knife. The Hinderer just sits around, I admire it but don't use it. Ive never found anything that is does very well at all, its geometry feels great in the hand but actual usage and cutting with it has it sitting on my desk more than in my pocket. I think this is why I see so many of them re-ground, a possibility I am considering...

Biolabob likes this.
  6. cricketofdeth

cricketofdeth Empty Pockets

A lot of great replies in this thread; but I had to go $500+. I'd love to get a Chaves 228 someday.

7. BowmanJW

BowmanJW Empty Pockets

$200 is about my limit for anything that I plan on using. I've had my eye on a Hinderer Wharncliffe; if I could find a used one around the $300 range maybe, I just can't bring myself to justify 400+ for a new one.

8. tabbywmollya

tabbywmollya Loaded Pockets

Being on a limited budget I like to get the most knife for money spent. 125.00 is my max spyderco para 2 digi camo.[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

9. GermanyChris

GermanyChris Loaded Pockets

I have $524 wrapped into the Sebenza as of today and I think that's the ceiling. There are just too many things I want for the Jeep to spend more.

Biolabob likes this.
  10. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

On a different note: Hinderer XM-18 for whatever? Well ok. Hinderer Knife Tool for 75 USD? No way José! Still looking for a clone. Hints appreciated.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

11. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Loaded Pockets

I was told I had to show pics when my pair of new ones got here so I am following through on my promise to show them
    [​IMG]

Ray Loftis likes this.
  12. Loc-Nar

Loc-Nar Loaded Pockets

Yeah, after our conversation I did a thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Short version....you weren't kidding about the feel. Thanks for the inspiration to act on years of waiting. I would like to formally retract my previous post of what was originally my price limit.

13. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I don't really have a limit on any purchases. But, my knives are tools that regularly get the h-e-double toothpicks beaten out of them. I just can't see treating a Sebenza the way I do the others. But if I saw a Sebenza or a Hinderer or whatever that really tripped my trigger....

14. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Congrats man and welcome to the Hinderer family ;-)

Now play with it a few weeks, to break it in. It's even getting better imho. It's just a smooth ride when you flip the blade open and still zero (zip, none, nothing, nada) blade play in any direction. I'm glad you are happy with your purchase.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

Loc-Nar likes this.
  15. Nevada

Nevada Loaded Pockets

Thus far, the most I've spent on a knife (and I include multi-tools) has been a bit over $100, and that was for a TOPS BOB Fieldcraft. I'm about to go over that for a full size Griptilian, either a 550-1 or 551-1, and there's at least one Barkie in my future. The BOB is my most expensive knive, followed by a Mini-Griptilian and a Spyderco Tenacious. I don't see myself getting another folder after the full size Griptilian, unless I have to replace a knife that gets lost. Effectively, the average, including multi-tools, has been about $75.

The most I've spent on an edged tool (non-power) was for a Veritas Shooting Plane, at $339, which isn't really very practical for EDC. :smile_coffee: I have far more non-knife (not counting kitchen cutlery and X-Acto knives) edged tools than I have knives, and that's even considering my modest Leatherman addiction. I have chisels, handplanes and spokeshaves from the US, Canada, UK, Sweden, Germany and the Czech Republic.

Last edited by Nevada, Mar 27, 2017
    #75 Nevada, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  16. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

OK, I voted at $100, but I am considering dropping that much on a custom blade for my skeletool (my everything knife).

17. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a ZT 0566 for about a year now. That is the most I've spent on any knife although I have a few in the $100 range. I am fairly utilitarian when it come to knives and guns. I don't need it to be pretty, just work when I need it to. That being said, the 0566 seems to be about as good as it gets in my price range. I would hesitate to spend much more than $150 for fear of negative returns.

18. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Usually right around a $100 is what I am willing to spend for the right knife but I am much more comfortable in the $50 - $60 range. I have considered knives in the $150 - $250 range but I can't justify it for my needs right now, someday maybe.....

19. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

$80 for daily carry. I have no qualms with beating up that kind of knife.

20. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

most of my collection that are users are between 150 and 100, although a few i own are 170 ballpark but those were the exceptions.