1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poll, What is the most you usually consider dropping on a knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Ippon, Jan 6, 2017.

?

What is your usual max 1 knife budget?

1. 500 or more

13 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. 400

8 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. 300

7 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. 250

5 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. 200

22 vote(s)
    17.9%
  6. 150

26 vote(s)
    21.1%
  7. 100

34 vote(s)
    27.6%
  8. 50

5 vote(s)
    4.1%
  9. less than 50

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Rich73

Rich73 Loaded Pockets

It's all subjective and Ghostwalker54 sums it up well. My weakness is (or was) good watches - I've cut the collection down a lot and now have a dozen keepers. I always wear an automatic watch and I've yet to break or lose one, at work or play. Knives however are something I see as more like tools, and as such I like affordable, replaceable ones. So 50 GBP max - though I did recently crack for a walnut handled James County... Here we go...

2. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

It's my hope that they are blacksmiths or engineers or something like that. But not artists

The only artisanal knife I own, was a gift from my wife. Has scrimshawed scales by Linda Layden (sp?).

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

One watch. Eterna-Matic Kontiki Diver Bicolor. Accuracy is at 15 sec per month! About 20-25 years old and a true EDC (not my picture).

[​IMG]

Sorry for side tracking, but I had to.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. Ghostwalker54

Ghostwalker54 Loaded Pockets

Not familiar with all the rules here ladies and gents (every forum has a few that are different) where are we allowed to post a knife giveaway? No money changes hands on this. Also apologize for any sidetrack but it is a knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. EricV

EricV Loaded Pockets

I'll do up to $200 if it's cool and I really want it. Anything over that needs to be really special and typically not standard production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

I like nice stuff and am willing to pay for it, whats that saying, pay once cry once. As most here who know me, know that I'm kinda crazy for Spydies, I have a few. I have recently discovered Shirogorov knives, that's about all I'm going to say about "the most I'm willing to drop on a knife".

7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I don't have a fixed limit for any kind of purchase, but the mind has some kind of built-in compass that gives me a bad feeling when a purchase seem to be out of line for its intended use.
    First of all, I try to figure out its practical value. There is no easy way to do this, but cost divided by estimated use time is a good rule of thumb. An EDC folder would score way better than a survival knife on this one. That's probably why I don't own a dedicated survival knife.

Redundancy have the opposite effect. If I have something that could do much of the same without great loss of function, it's a lot harder to justify the higher price tag.

There will also be some kind bonus points to gear that generates activity. E.g. new cross-country skies or running shoes will gain an advantage here.

Oh.. and I'm not going to fool you. I'm not a flashy dude, so there's no jewelry or fancy clothes going on here, but I will sometimes put down some extra money to get an item I associate with. I guess this is a way of compensating for those other other things I don't do. One way this becomes evident is that I often find myself buying new productions of items with somewhat historical importance, e.g. CRK Sebenza, Hamilton field watch, 1911 handgun etc.. I never buy the old productions since I'm not a collector, and I would also be afraid to use those items.

I try to be environmentally conscious, so I don't like to over consume just because I can. By that I mean I would rather by one knife from a manufacturer that has a proven track record of good quality, a nice repair policy and good ethics, rather than a bunch of throwaway knives.

And finally, the most important criteria, any hobby or luxury product must not make a noticeable impact on more important expenditures like family, house and car maintenance, vacations and such.

My Small Sebenza holds the position for highest price tag, but if I also consider pocket time, cutting time and how well I like it, it's one of my best buys, and such also makes it very high up on my best value ranking.

On topic: even if I really like a knife, have a justifiable use case and funding is no issue whatsoever, any knife over 2000NOK/200USD would require additional assessment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. ScottieG59

ScottieG59 Loaded Pockets

In most cases, I stay under $70, but I will go higher for something compelling or special. Generally, I carry budget knives, but I may have more premium knives near. I do not abuse my knives and I maintain them, so something like D2 does very well. For me, paying extra for a blade that is a pain to maintain is no good. I am more than will to pay less and strop/sharpen a little more often. On the survey, I specified $200 max, but I will go higher, but not for an EDC.

9. SeeThirty

SeeThirty Loaded Pockets

I've voted $150, but in reality it depends. For a usual 'EDC' type knife, I do consider $150 to be the max I'd probably spend on a single knife. But, if there were a knife I just had to have, and I had the cash, there'd not really be an upper limit on how much I'd pay. You'd justify it however you'd like, but you'd get that thing you'd want.

NOTE: I've paid $600 for a knife. It wasn't EDC. It was a hand-forged tanto with hamidashi fittings. Sold it years ago. Got about what I paid for it. Was selling because I needed the cash, not for profit or because I needed to thin my herd of sharp goodies. I've paid a bit over $150 for a Cold Steel Laredo bowie, and I absolutely love the knife. I think what matters with the 'max paid for' argument is, is it a knife you casually are shopping for, or is it a fangirl crush on a blade you've wanted for a long time? For casual shopping, I wouldn't pay very much, even though I can afford to.

10. Barbourman04

Barbourman04 Loaded Pockets

The most I've ever spent on an edc knife is 206 and that's just a benchmade griptailian with a custom bladed and awt scales. I probably wouldn't go any higher than that. I've considered more expensive knives but I just can't justify spending a lot on a knife that I would be to scared to use because it's pretty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

11. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Loaded Pockets

I dropped 500$ on a pair of knives today both by southern grind one folder one fixed
    And that is about my maximum limit

Ray Loftis likes this.
  12. Ray Loftis

Ray Loftis Loaded Pockets

What do they look like? Let us see

13. Ray Loftis

About $200.00 is the most for me. It is a bravo 1lt with bone handle
    Beautiful fixed blade.[​IMG]CPM3V
    I had fire steel made to complement the sheath. I EDC on weekends when Hiking or Camping or fishing.

Water-Rat likes this.
  14. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

Beautiful!

15. DocHoliday

lol I will gladly share photos as soon as they get here I ordered them online.

Ray Loftis likes this.
  16. NOST

NOST Empty Pockets

When it comes to EDC things like a watch, wallet, wedding ring, a necklace that you wear everyday and a knife you might as well spend the extra and be satisfied. Life's too short not to.:) These are the things that go with you everywhere and that's why I have no problem spending good money on EDC gear. Take out a loan if you have too....if it costs me .89 cents a day for a few years to have this its worth it to me.

DocHoliday and Ray Loftis like this.
  17. Ray Loftis

Nicely said
    A knife is part of you. I can't imagine going anywhere without one.

DocHoliday likes this.
  18. Loc-Nar

Loc-Nar Loaded Pockets

$200 is pretty much my limit. There have been several occasions where I was seconds away from buying well above that, but I like function over form. Although I'd never try to bother to resell them, not so much because I like them so much, but because they get beat to hell and back. If It's going to be the only thing I have on me, I better be able to bet my life on it doing its job. Agreeing with the earlier post, if your going to use it daily might as well get something you like. They are functional pieces of art after all.

19. DocHoliday

Amen and it could very well save your life one day

20. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Don't wanna be a nag. But if you like function over form (sounds like me, only for me it's not really true) handle a Hinderer one time. After the 1-2 weeks it takes to break the biatch in, it's just amazing. They are solid and solid and reliable and solid and reliable and reliable. A reason why I started to sell the rest of my knives (most of them). Feels like you have arrived - my only way to describe it.

lessershoe and Loc-Nar like this.