1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poll, What is the most you usually consider dropping on a knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Ippon, Jan 6, 2017.

?

What is your usual max 1 knife budget?

1. 500 or more

12 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. 400

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. 300

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. 250

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. 200

21 vote(s)
    17.8%
  6. 150

25 vote(s)
    21.2%
  7. 100

34 vote(s)
    28.8%
  8. 50

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  9. less than 50

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Ghostwalker54

Ghostwalker54 Loaded Pockets

Well gentlemen as much as I'd like to say that a couple hundred was all I've spent that would, unfortunately, be a lie. My profession has allowed me the ability to both purchase and gift knives that have easily run into the $2k range (customs) and I had a drawing for two $500 CRK's over on Blade Forums last year.

I've been carrying a knife since the age of 6 and closing fast on mid 60's. Competed in both combat and high power shoots after Nam and the military.

The knife is one of the oldest tools on earth. That's why I have a passion for them. It wasn't originally invented (if that word actually fits) as a weapon. The gun can arguably be said to have been invented for the purpose of toasting the warlord next door. The Chinese or Robert Bacon invented gunpowder (we'll never know for certain) and the Arabs are credited with the first canon (a wooden bowl with a projectile? Glad I wasn't there). And while I still have quite a few projectile flinging weapons the knife still reigns as my preferred tool.

In the end the price is of little consequence. If a $20 tool does the job you need it to do when you need it to each and every time you use it then the rest is just semantics. Or simply put a study in what our hearts, pocket money and minds tell us about our desires.

Today mine is a small CRK Sebenza 21 unique CGG. Tomorrow.....

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#21 Ghostwalker54, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    leigh_ratcliffe, O_G, Rich73 and 4 others like this.
  2. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

I paid $99 for my two ESEE 4's and $50 for my ESEE Izula and under $40 for all of my Bucks and SAK's and I think $55 for my Ka-bar. I don't feel like I need anything else for any task I'm likely to encounter I know I haven't encountered anything my ESEE wasn't up to the task for.

I may go to the $150-175 range for a Fallkniven F1, I don't have a real need for it but I've always liked them and it's the only knife on my to get list.

3. TheMachinist

TheMachinist Loaded Pockets

I have a handful of knives in the $100 to $150 range. I would love to have a Sebenza but I can't see myself spending that kind of money on a knife. If I had $400 to blow I'd buy another gun.

O_G and nolaradio like this.
  4. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

While I have bought some custom knives, my limit these days is @$50, I just lose them too often

O_G likes this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I can relate. When I first got into fountain pens I swore that anything past say $100 was just too many frills and totally unnecessary. Then I discovered Parker Duofolds; Pelikan Souveran 800 & 1000; and 'certain' high end Japanese pens. I now have quite a few that I paid in the $350 ++ range! Not there yet with knives. I'm trying to persuade myself I'm more rational and mature... Plus my income is more limited than it once was!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Water-Rat likes this.
  6. Moshe ben David

@Ghostwalker54: well said. Heck, if we're talking about things that will send a projectile on the way, let's not forget bows of various categories! Let's face it, the possibilities are endless!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Bwana1 likes this.
  7. Ghostwalker54

Some of my great grandparents on both sides of the family are turning over in their graves. I'm a quarter breed, grew up with my mother and father helping out less fortunate family members living in NC and South Florida on and near the res and had an old long bow until the age of 12. How rapidly we can leave the past behind.

Water-Rat likes this.
  8. Moshe ben David

LOL!

Moshe ben David

9. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Let me put it this way;

I carry a Gold Class Barrage in my front pocket every single day, and either a fully dressed out Hinderer, a custom Lightfoot, or a Handmade Elishewitz in my back pocket...

O_G likes this.
  10. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

Hey, were friends, right? ;) I totally agree with you though. I compleatly agree with you, and what others have said. For me, there are certain things that I really don't care about being nice, as long as it does the job. A watch for example for me, I loose and break them so often, there is no point for me to have a nice one.

However certain things I demand be good. My work boots, the food I put into my body, and one of those things is a knife. It's a basic tool. It's part of me, and always really has been. Leaving the house without a knife is like leaving the house without your arm. I'm physically capable of it, but it sure would be a painful separation.

11. Ghostwalker54

And we all have to face a basic truth. While some may choose to carry the latest $500 piece of cutlery from whoever is considered to be the best maker your ability to produce the pocket change will usually win out. Many here have a wife and children to factor in. Tell the wife the new house remodeling will have to wait due to the money spent on a must have knife. The divorce will cost a lot more.

I was lucky enough for both knives in my two giveaways to go to people that probably would have never been able to afford one on their present salaries.

And leaving home without a knife? I'm not sure I could function. Whether it be a $2, $20, or $200 knife.

Water-Rat likes this.
  12. Allans865

Allans865 Loaded Pockets

The most I have paid for a knife is my Fallkniven F1 Pro which was £230, which is roughly $280. This is my main bushcraft knife, and doesn't get used for anything else.
    This is by far my favourite knife, and is perfect for all my bushcrafty tasks. The laminated cobalt steel holds a wicked edge and is hardened to 61HRC.
    It fits my hand perfectly, and looks great too!
    My EDC locking folder is my Normark Super Swede. This was only £40, but it's probably the best value for money knife I own.
    The blade steel is 12C27 Sandvik, another Scandinavian steel, which along holds a great edge for a heavy duty folder.
    I also have several alox SAKs and a couple of various other fixed blades and folders, but these are my 2 favourites.

A few photos for your enjoyment....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Ghostwalker54

I don't get as much time as I'd like to post but I'd love to see this with a Desert Ironwood handle. I like the blade style with that swedge. A very nice piece, this!

Allans865 likes this.
  14. Gym55Rat

Gym55Rat Loaded Pockets

$250 Canadian is the most I've ever spent on a blade. The $250 knife was a recent purchase, but it will be a user. Don't think I would feel comfortable spending over 300 Canadian.

15. Ray Loftis

Ray Loftis Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your insightful thoughts.
    Every time I see any knife I think of the artist that created such a beautiful piece of steel and wonder who ,and what function it will serve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Allans865

Allans865 Loaded Pockets

Yeah absolutely, it's a great blade. I did a lot of research on this knife before I bought it, and couldn't find a single negative comment on any of the hundreds of reviews I read and watched.
    I have considered a custom handle and leather sheath, but decided to keep it as is for purely practical reasons, as it is a tool knife.
    If you're thinking of buying one I would thoroughly recommend, you'd be hard pushed to find a finer blade IMO

Cheers
    Allan

17. bfitz

bfitz Loaded Pockets

For knives my limit is normally around $50. I have so many hobbies that I can't bring myself to spend much more on something to mostly open boxes. I believe my most expensive knife I own is the Swisschamp or my Wave (if you consider them in the knife category, I do, some don't)

18. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

The topic does say "usually", so my limit is usually $50.

Any knife (machete or hatchet) I own is a user. In practical terms (for me) there simply isn't an additional $200 in value added simply by using the latest alloy mix, adding a hole or hook to the blade, or using colored hardware (or any combination of those "hooks").

I love looking at all the latest designs, but when I reach for my wallet, I go all practical.

19. Roguehunter

Roguehunter Loaded Pockets

I dont have a particular limit in my mind. Atmost i have spent was on a hinderer which was $550 when not much of them were available. I dont safe queen either that or sebenza. They have scratches everywhere which shows character. As long as I not see it as a jewelery i will spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Civilian

Civilian Loaded Pockets