1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poll, What is the most you usually consider dropping on a knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Ippon, Jan 6, 2017.

?

What is your usual max 1 knife budget?

1. 500 or more

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. 400

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. 300

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  4. 250

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. 200

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. 150

16 vote(s)
    24.6%
  7. 100

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  8. 50

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  9. less than 50

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Ippon
    • +1 Supporter

Ippon Loaded Pockets

When I am looking at getting a new knife for my collection, I will usually cap out when knifes start costing more than 250 USD. I don't actually own a knife that's worth more than that. The most expensive is my spyderco Domino at a little over 200. Most of my knives are down lower to the 150 range or below.

So, when knife money is burning a hole in your pocket, when do you say "that's more than I have to spend on a single knife"

2. Ghostwalker54
    • +2 Supporter

Ghostwalker54 Loaded Pockets

I'm fairly certain PP wouldn't have made this for $250. I guess if I only had the funds for $250 that's what I'd top out at. Nathan Carothers is making some knives that have gained an outstanding reputation using Delta 3V steel with a special heat treat that he helped develop and :censored: near tank proof. They run in the $300 range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

EUR 200 and some. Depending on how much I want it. Maxed out with a white Spyderco Phoenix. Or was it the ZT 0095BW?

But I now I am holding back and think about a Hinderer when I am back in the US in summer. Maybe. Or a ZT top range. Or - who knows.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

4. DDDWho

DDDWho Loaded Pockets

I paid right at $100 for each of these, a Buck 124 and a Becker BK2. Which is the most I've ever paid for any knifes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Larry Larson

Larry Larson Loaded Pockets

The most I've spent is about $100 but I've had my accountant/book-keeper/wife give the ok for up to $150 for a knife I've wanted. Fortunately, by the time I had saved enough up, I've found the same knife on sale or for a little better price.
    The only one I actually paid that much for, I ended up getting for free, after being provided incorrect tracking information and a 3-plus month wait. Presumed lost in shipping, the seller refunded my money, only to have the "missing" knife show up in the mail 2 weeks later.
    I did contact the seller regarding the late arrival but as he'd already made an insurance claim for the "lost" item and had been compensated, I was told that as an apology for the long wait and bad tracking info, to just keep the knife. As it was a e-store on a large Chinese outlet (DHGate) and communication between seller and buyer was slow and difficult at best, he did not want to pursue cancelling his claim with the shipper's insurance and have to pay them back. I ended up with an original design District 9 made in the Reate shops by the D9 designer.[​IMG]

O_G, Adahn and kdurt like this.
  6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I had one of those limited gold edition superduper special Benchmade damast/carbon fibre 525 mini presidio's..... i could not for the life of me use that knife for anything useful so it was completely useless as a tool and that knife only came in at a mere 300 bucks US (about 350 euros back then after import and taxes) so i never bothered after that with anything more expensive. Aint got no time for a safe queen!

TDS likes this.
  7. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

Ive spent close to $300US on a knife but I couldnt bring myself to actually use it so I sold it. Ive had a few in the $200 range too. I usually spend in the $100-150 range but end up using a replaceable blade box cutter to cut everything.

Last edited by newnan3, Jan 7, 2017
    #7 newnan3, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    DDDWho likes this.
  8. DDDWho

DDDWho Loaded Pockets

Me too. I carry a box cutter daily.

9. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

$100-$125 is the most I am willing to spend on a knife. The most I've ever spent so far was $75. I love Spyderco, but so many of their knives are just too much money for my taste.

10. Sneaker

Sneaker Empty Pockets

I'll pony up $150 for something that will see every day carry. Safe queens? None here, if I do not use it I sell it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

11. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I said $100. Most of my knives are in the $50-120 range with the majority under $100. Most I have ever spent was $120 or 125 for a LNIB Benchmade Adamas with box, papers, and baggy off a forum from a person with perfect feedback.I buy a lot of knives off the forums. I know a lot of folks pre-order or buy something, get it home, don't like it for some reason, and sell it at 20-25% off. Or I'll buy light users. I don't mind a few scratches or minor dings. It gives the knife character and I use my knives too, no safe queens.

O_G likes this.
  12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I put an upper budget limit at $150. But honestly, most of mine are significantly under $100. Maybe 2 have been around $100.

I don't have any safe queens; but with only changing out my carry once a week it does take a while before they all get to play. And I do have a wandering eye...! Even when the knife is on me, I don't do anything real heavy with any of them. Just like to have a couple on me.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

SV-97 likes this.
  13. J_C
    • The Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I am done buying knives, so there is no such thing as "knife money burning a hole in my pocket" these days, but the most I ever spent on a single knife was $130. I think I own perhaps 4 knives that cost me slightly more than $100 (including the one I paid $130 for).

14. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Oh thats really funny, i carry an eab as dedicated knife. Box cutters are awesome!

15. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Once upon a time $30 would get me everything I needed. After experiencing higher end knives, the $105 I paid for my PM2 was the ceiling. Two years ago, a $200 level was added for an upgraded BM G10 Grip. Last year, I hit $325 for CRK.

Not sure there really is a limit anymore. I'd like to think I wouldn't spend $500 on a knife but then I once thought $300 was ridiculous.

#15 Dirty Rod, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  16. Bwana1

Bwana1 Loaded Pockets

$400 is about tops, I'd be getting nervous over that.

17. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

My box cutter is a Big Idea Design TPT which is titanium. So it is a bit fancy but I never have to sharpen blades so thats great....

18. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

Most I've paid was over $500 on a Chris Reeve knife. I've been enjoying Buck folders recently and I'd pay up to $80-$100 for a good quality folder.

19. Ray Loftis

Ray Loftis Loaded Pockets

I admit,
    I have many in the 100.00 to 125.00 range. I Recently bought a couple Bark Rivers in the almost $200.00 range. I always think the next $100.00 mark will be it. My pocket burns always looking for the perfect fixed or folder. Have fun shopping all..thanks for sharing pics and keeping my searching alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water-Rat likes this.
  20. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've spent way too much over the years. My usual is $100. I'll spend 10x that for something cool. On average $100 is normal. We aren't normal. Don't forget that. ;)