1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Poll: need everyone's input

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by patches152, Jan 19, 2010.

?

what is easier to manage/deal with for EDC?

1. a larger backpack with very little in it, but room for more if needed

87 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. a smaller backpack that's always packed to the brim

31 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I didn't vote because there isn't a medium bag option. I prefer my setup to be modular. I have a small pouch with all my essential EDC in it that I transfer from bag to bag. Generally, I carry a Jumbo which I consider medium and it is rarely packed to the brim. I have room for some additional items should I need it. Other times when I have a larger load I carry a Bailey Works XL Pro Series Messenger bag which my EDC pouch fits inside.

So I guess this post boils down to large and small with a modular approach.

2. Andy_L

Andy_L Loaded Pockets

You don't want the pack to be crammed full, often doing so will deform the shape of the pack and make it less pleasant to carry

For daily use I have three packs
    30l (1850ci) hiking pack
    16l (1000ci) E&E with organiser
    shoulder bag Jumbo

If I could only have one it would be the 30l hiking pack, I could (and until the past year or so) did do everything with that pack

3. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

I voted for the larger pack. When I carry my backpack (Eastpak Stammer) the largest compartment is usually empty, with my EDC stuff sitting in the other compartments. I use the compresssion straps to make the empty space totally flat. That way, the pack is not that big, but there's plenty of space when I need it.

4. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I vote for the larger bag.

You can get a 30l bag down to 5l if you want (tightening the straps, or adding compression straps) but you can't get a 5l to 30l. I also agree with what has been mentioned below about load structuring and fit. If you are hucking this around all day I would go with a pack that has two shoulder straps and hip straps. A pack with a removable internal frame would work well for you. When you are out hiking put the frame in but when you are just running errands around town you could take the frame out.

5. Saddleback Leather Company

6. Saddleback Leather Company

Shoot, really sorry, honestly, accidentally posted this on the wrong thread. Forgive my intrusion!

7. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

it's all good. nice duffel anyway. idk if leather would be good for my uses though. but it looks really snazzy!

i'm thinking something in the 30L area, with either PALS on the outside to attach a few pockets, compression straps are gonna be a must, and maybe some way to attach a removable PALS panel on the inside, like the kifaru bags. that way i can attach pockets and stuff inside for better organization, and keep the weight closer to my core like you're all saying is good.

for EDC, i won't need to carry it as much, but the organization capabilities are a must. for camping, i'll be carrying it around, and some organization is nice. so the flexibility to do both in one bag is really what i'm looking for. just for a first bag. if i do decide to go the CCW avenue, then one of the jumbo variants will be in my sights as well for EDC, then the bigger bag can be for BOB or camping, or just additional storage for long trips.

thanks for everyone's input, i'm narrowing my shopping list down slowly but surely, lol!

8. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I voted for a bigger bag, half loaded, but I carry a small bag(Kifaru G2 E&E) loaded almost full, but it is loaded with pouches(Emdom, TT & Maxpedition) that can be attached to the outside, so if I need it I can have an empty bag with 1000 cubic inches.

Jason

9. rwdflynavy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

rwdflynavy Loaded Pockets

Always bigger!

10. patches152

overwhelmingly (75%) vote for larger bag with room to spare. not helping my bank account everyone. not one bit. but thanks again for the input. i'll be starting my new job in about a week or two, so the bag purchasing spree starts shortly after that!!!

11. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

I've settled on the 1500-2000 cubic inch size backpack. Maxpedition's Falcon ll is what I've settled on after trying many. It's collapsible/expandable (not kidding, it's amazing), can handle 13-15 inch laptop, and if you add pockets/pouches on the PALS, (which eliminates rooting around the bottom and getting quicker access for the smaller items), you can basically leave the bigger compartments empty/half empty for when (not if) the unused storage becomes necessary. By the way if anyone knows of any other collapsing/expanding backpack that is around the 2000 cubic inch capacity, please let me know!

12. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

EDC'ers are known for their ability to improvise. How about a medium bag with some spare room. The glass is half full or the glass is half empty doesn't fly with me.

When you see that your needs are for a larger pack, by all means get one. I vote to always try to have some extaa room or an add on pouch for your bag. The bag neither needs to be stuffed or almost empty. Well thats my two cents!

13. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

You should read my Project EDC thread. I was in the exact same position. I think many of us here are at some point.

In any case, I settled on the Maxped Vulture II, love the bag. Its very lightweight and fits tons of stuff. I will have some images soon, but I use the Vulture II along with Rolly Poly backpack for modular storage. I am planning a trip to Fontana in February. Which I will take the Vulture II on. I will use RollyPoly backpack to actually walk around inside carrying day essentials. Should work.

I have a Maxped Jumbo, but it didn't serve my needs so selling that one if you're interested, lol.

Good luck.

14. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

unless I'm planning on gathering (berry picking, hunting, fishing, etc) I want my gear to fit and no more- mind you I'm not talking stuffing a bag beyond it's capacity, simply utilizing all of the capacity

I see a lot of folks posting bags w/ their gear w/ compartments empty or :censored: near empty- why not get a smaller bag- smaller bag means lighter and less obtrusive and usually less $

there are situations where your bag may see double duty, sometimes fully loaded- sometimes less so- that's fine, choose a pack that will handle the load, in that case consider one that has lots of compression straps so you can "shrink" it when your carry less of a load

I'm not saying a bag has to small, I sometimes am forced to carry a very large bag, but no larger than it needs to be

my experience comes from hiking/hunting/fishing where you want to keep weight/volume to a minimum- maybe that's not the case for other usages

the other thing about a smaller bag it forces you to continually evaluate your equipment- is this item worth carrying, is there a smaller piece of kit that will still do the job, etc- a bigger bag doesn't and you tend to end up carrying everything but (or maybe including :)) the kitchen sink

15. eme714

eme714 Loaded Pockets

This is going to be long, but I am waiting for my next class so....

Let me tell you my evolution.

Jumbo->Monsoon->Pygmy Falcon II with Neatfreak Inside front compartment-> Neat freak->Regular messenger bag->Sabercat->ATS Raid->Remora-> Jumbo->Monsoon-> Remora

So what do I have to say $100's of dollars later.

Get a large bag that will allow you to have a modular setup! I edc a remora gearslinger (I am a minimalist) but when it came time for school I was like :censored:! Where am I going to put my books. I'm not going to carry two bags separately.

Before I tell you what I am going to do let me recommend something for you. Get everything you plan on using out and organize it into sections/groups. Distinguish between what you need and what you think you will. What I am trying to get at is buy all the gear then the bag. It saves you from wasting money on trying different bags.

Also, Before you buy all these $20-$30 dollar Maxpedition pouches go to target/walmart and buy pencil/toiletry pouches for one dollar. Seriously, I had 9 maxpedtion pouches to stick all over my bags, but they just weighed the bag down unnecessarily and got annoying. They kind of destroy the ergonomics of the pack you are using. They are a huge waste of money too, UNLESS, you know exactly what you need it for and it's for a specific purpose- i.e. gps pouch. Keep it simple you don't want to stand out too much in public, especially if something does happen. People will be running to the guy with all the pouches all over his back. lol

Use these pencil pouches to separate your gear into food, survival, fire, water purification, batteries, toiletries, etc. This way if you do switch bags it's an easy transition. It keeps you way more organized and happy!

This is what I am going to do, which after almost $1000 dollars I think is the best solution IMO.

I am going to carry a Falcon II. Main compartment will hold my binder+lapton when in school, or be empty when I am not in school. Heaviest items should be closest to your spine and centered. (I don't need to carry books so they are not really a concern.
    Second largest compartment will hold my remora empty and stuffed at the bottom, on top will be an extra bottle of water and my 4 toiletry bags. 1. Fire 2. Water purification 3. Toiletry 4. Food. Very back outside pouches will carry pens, pencils, hand sanitizer, etc. The little items I would want to reach in a hurry. The right side of the pack will hold my 1qt USGI canteen pouch from maxpeditoini holding my Canteen cup, stove stand, spork, and Nalgene oasis. Other side will hold a medium rollypoly.

This will be with me everyday in my car or at school. If I decide to go somewhere where my backpack will be to cumbersome or I just need the basics (a dayhike, walk around the park, movies, stores, etc.), I can take my remora, and put all the toiletry bags inside. Grab anything else I might need and attach my USGI canteen setup to side of my remora and i'm ready to go. Whole transition will take less than five minutes.

This allows me versatility and space. If not in school I will keep the straps cinched down to make the pack more flat. If traveling I can use the main compartment for whatever I want. I definitely think you should get a bigger pack that allows you to compress uncompress as you desire. Don't forget they will also keep your gear in, in the event your zippers should fail.

It doesn't have to be a falcon, it can be any pack with side compression straps. Just remember to stay organized with smaller pouches inside. If you start buying Maxpedition pouches you will be tempted to load them up. They will weigh down the outside of the pack. TRUST ME you will want to use them because you paid so much money for them. Just save yourself the hassle and use smaller $1 toiletry bags inside.

Hope that helped.

16. patches152

last two replies were very helpful, thank you.

@mtwarden: i'm looking for an EDC bag that'll also work as a hiking bag, not the other way around. so to me, having extra space, as long as there's compression straps or something like that, is a good thing. i'll end up throwing the other half of my lunch i didn't eat, or seasonal gear for weather, etc. when it comes to running around in the wild, i agree. ergonomics and streamline, balance, that's all important. thanks for the insight.

@eme714: i'm in the same boat as you, minus the stock of extra bags. i have a large array of things i'll carry with me daily. mostly for work and classes, and some traveling for work also. i like having the extra room, but without the floppy rag doll on my back, you know? the compression straps are nice for stabilizing the load, and also strapping extra jackets, shirts, whatever...

i'm starting work either the 8th or the 15th, so i'll know what i'm carrying with me and how much space i'll need. then i can narrow down which bags will do the job.

17. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

You and me both.

I compromise all the time. My EDC bag is more of a get home bag, it is a Maxpedition Jumbo. It is usually always near by. We have an RV and I carry items like an Aqumira Pro Frontier Military Water Filter, snake shot, a Pen Rid Extreme Fishing Rod and reel combo w/ a tiny tacle box. It is pen size fishing rod and it expands to full size (5 feet).

The next bag I want to try is a modified Mongo. I want to add a bottom flap and two cinch up straps under the flap (basically it would look like I added the top flap of an alice pack under the Mongo).

This modification would allow items like a military poncho and poncho liner, or one of the compression stuff sak sleeping bag combo's etc... to be strapped and cinched up under the pack. I have looked at several other EDC'ers pack contents (mostly on you tube).

Here is an old list of some of my contents I saved on my computer. It might help give you a concept for understaining my thought proceess.

I started with Maslows theory of hierarchy and expanded as best as I could. I have some items that don't belong in an urban or suburban pack and items that are somewhat lacking if McGuyver was doing an inspection for local and the woods. I have found that I probably need the new MONGO version for a more all around get home / bail out bag. It will still be more EDC oriented, than a 72 hour kit (food and water ready) pack.

Anyway here are my most of the bags current contents.

On the top zipper pouch I have a pair of sunglasses.

On the front zipper compartment (by the two inch strap that closes the top of the bag), a small pack of Kleenex tissues, two (drop in water) compressed expandable towels, a Mylar foil space blanket a sewing kit and polished campers mirror.

The front zipper compartment under the front flap, is my tool compartment, 2 cheapo flashlights a crank up and a bright, 75 lumen small aluminum thumb size one that takes 1 CR123 battery, a Galls folding combination rescue tool it has everything including a hammer and different screwdriver type bits, small diamond knife sharpener, a Sheffield (leatherman type) tool, cable ties and a high power monocular.

Nothing in the Nalgene compartment yet. Future plans include a 32 or 40 oz bottle and stainless cup.

Front (side) pals webbing has disposable lighter, a biener keeper with my blood type embroidered on it and a cheapo 5.11 folder.

Front (side) zipper compartment, below the front portion of the carry strap, a collapsible hair brush & mirror combo, collapsible Israel Defense Forces stainless cup, dental floss, alcohol based hand cleaner (also to assist with fire starting) and a Listerine pocket pack.

Main compartment has gorilla duct tape electrical tape, 2 bandanas (camo so no gang colors), medical gloves under the plastic floor I added (a piece of the plastic from a 3 ring binder. A small pill bottle containing some fishing items, Pen rod Extreme fishing rod and front drag reel, Condor M-16 admin pouch w/sharpie, fisher space pen, spring loaded emergency window punch, micro (pen size) stapler, rite in the rain 3x5 pad, my Police ID and business cards, telescopic magnetic pick up tool, drug store aluminum pill bottle containing ear plugs and an extra el cheapo folding knife.

Janus pack on the main strap, with campers Charmin toilet paper, Aqumira Frontier pro military water filter and magnesium & flint bar, hobo military style knife, fork, spoon combo, and a really cool Swiss army nail clipper.

Add on small palls strap style pouch w/ tiny Sony radio and ear buds.

Although I EDC my off duty gun (Colt 1911) on my belt, the gun compartment has a spare 5.11 holster inside it set up for my 1911. The 5.11 holster is a ultra high quality (inside the pack) pack holster compaired to the Maxpedition holster, a pack of .22 stingers and a pack of CCI .22 shot shells. I can take an optional .22 revolver for snake and small game when I take my bag camping. We go RV’ing and I also have a ruger .22 convertible .22/.22mag that can go in the gun compartment ( there is room for the x-tra magnum cylinder in the gun compartment so I need to throw in a 50 round box of .22 magnums .

PENDING: Slim Jims, beef jerky, gum, power bars, bulion cubes, powdered drink packets, etc...

If expanded to a Mngo bag, there would easily be more room for a cpr mask, 1st aid kit, hepa mask, one of my small ham radio portables etc...

There is still a lot of work regarding my organizational skills with compartmentalizing items into better sections ie. fire starting, medical, food etc... I guess it will always be a work in progress. And I guess the next bag I will need to try, will have to be the Mongo and work on my modification.

18. mess1102

mess1102 Empty Pockets

I find it definetly easier to carry a pack that has more room in it than you use...just in case you have the room there. However I would put a 2100 cubic inch limit on how big the pack is... this might be a little much for some people but it works for my day to day. I'm downgrading to a 1800 cubic inch pack soon with more organization and right now that seems like its gonna work well but for me i wouldnt go below 1500 cubic inches...its just a little too small for me. your mileage may vary

19. 1holegrouper

1holegrouper Loaded Pockets

There is a 3rd option if you have not already placed your order - or- for future lurkers:

A small bag that you can add a bag to. This was already alluded to in an earlier post. I have a Kifaru G2 E&E backpack. It forces me to a edc diet of only 1,000 cu inches and holds my EDC items with 'some' room to spare. Not bulky cumbersom, etc. When I need more room I attach what Kiraru calls a "Pod". This doubles my capacity and the small pod folds down completely flat and fits in the slot pocket in the back of the pack (much better and takes less room than Maxped's rollypolly's) (usually where one would put a Camelback hydration pouch). If I wanted to go beyond that I could with bungees or adding more Kiraru pouches (long pockets), but then I have the 2,500 cu inch Marauder for those situations.

Another idea is to put your small bag within a larger bag like a courier bag to hold you normal EDC bag plus additional items. Aerostich makes the best ones I have ever found. When I go to work this is my normal setup since I usually ride a motorcycle. If I am on an outing and not going to work but need extra cargo room I just clip on the pod.

Edited to add; I have a ton of Maxpedition stuff. For me at least I use the item for a while and grow tired of it as there are so many aspects that are impractical to me. (e.g. Rat Wallet; thought it was the Bee's knees until constantly getting teased at how much it sticks out when worn on the belt.). This has never happened with any Kifaru item I have. YMMV

20. robrit13

robrit13 Loaded Pockets

I vote bigger.

I continue to find ways to make my pack more efficient and to create more room. All the posters on this site have been a huge help in that effort.